Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290902 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #210 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:48 AM »
For those unfamiliar: http://www.aardemasohc.net/index.htm  :cheers:

Mike

Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #211 on: September 14, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »
I am lucky that Pete is helping me with the project.  He is the driving force behind finishing it and without him it would just be gathering dust in the corner. We did some changes from the original version like going away from the chain drive and going to a dry belt. If everything goes well it should be done this winter. Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline maguromic

« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2010, 01:19:24 AM »
While Woody does his magic on the REMR body, I am trying to get my street rod engine done.  This is one of the sets of cams for the heads roughed out and ready to go to the plating shop for copper coating. Tony

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:22:19 AM by maguromic »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2010, 10:23:37 PM »
Thanks to Woody’s magic the roadster body is taking shape. This is the first go around of the new shape and may change a bit more when Woody is done.  The old body design is on top and the new body Woody redesigned using the CFD data is on the bottom.  The bottom tire shape is derived from data supplied by Good Year, Denis Manning (BUB) and Willie (thanks a bunch Willie and we are all pulling for you.  Get better my friend!!!) and interpreted by Steve is more in line with what the tire will look like at speed. It will be interesting to see the final version after Woody is done blowing digital air on the body and fine tuning everything. Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #214 on: October 25, 2010, 12:49:06 AM »
Steve was able to put the finishing touches on the tub drawings this weekend and send them for comments. There are 14 sub assembly panels and 70-80 flanges and unlike a traditional racecar tub this was designed to come apart for cleaning. It also it gives us the opportunity to access engine related stuff behind the drivers seat without totally dismantling the car.  The only drawback is there are a zillion 10-32 screws holding the tub together. It isn’t a feather bed, but coupled with a poured seat it should be able to absorb lots of energy and give some good protection for the driver. Tony

« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 12:53:02 AM by maguromic »

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:34 AM »
An awesome example of the latest technology available out there.

You guys should be plenty fast with that design, though it is hard to see the 1927 Ford in that body, guess we need to squint a lot.

Can't wait to see and hear your car thunder down the dirt and salt!

Go fast and keep it dirty!

Dreamweaver

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #216 on: October 25, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »
I was able to see a copy of proposed rule changes and one of them does concern rear engine modified roadsters and the inability to see the original body. I believe the concerns were with the rear, for head rest/parachute packs, and the tonneau area which are hard to decern what they are doing to aero. Not a player in this at all; I was against adding the class because I could see it becoming a lakester with a body. I also was not part of the voting BOD at that time so once again it was only an opinion. But like Obamacare we need to vote it in to see whats there. :cheers:............JD

Mag: once again a beautiful car.................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2010, 06:09:34 PM »
Anybody from the Roadster Committee want to comment on this one?? We seem to be allowing the Roadster to ( as JD sez ) get covered in to affect the air off the "cockpit" and and place covering over the parachute packs and or exhaust exits to get rid of the turtle deck completely - yes, I am involved with a dog in this fight. Pat Kinne

Offline maguromic

« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2010, 09:41:37 PM »
JD and Pat, those are some very good points that you guys brought up.  We have known about the proposed faring rule for over two years.  Last year it didn’t pass (from what I have been told) the coupe guys didn’t agree with it.  But this year it looks like there is consensus and it may pass.  Our coverage of the deck by the fairings is well below the proposed number and should pass without issues.  The cockpit opening is designed to the rules and a driver like myself at 5’-11’ and 215 lbs can get out without moving any panels and I see no issues with any of the other guys that will be driving this car having issues either. In fact once the dust clears on the final CFD runs it may get a little bigger.  I have also gotten a few PM’s on the legality of the rear fin and I can say that it’s currently modeled without the rear wing that it supports and should not be an issue.  If anyone wants to see the rear wing, go back some pages on this thread and you take a look at our bat wing that Steve designed.

The only part I have concern over is the wheelbase, at 189.7” I hope the SCTA doesn’t use a French tape measure (just ask Mario and Michael Andretti what happened to them at LeMans).  But just in case I will bring one made in the good old USA.   :evil:  Tony   

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2010, 09:54:40 PM »
Mag......How come your giving up .2"....... I would go with 189.9..... :evil:

When W&W came out with their new roadster in the 90's they said it was 142-31/32"...I always thought it was funny as mine was stated at 142-63/64" 8-)

I like the fin and your not the first person to do that by a long shot....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline maguromic

« Reply #220 on: October 26, 2010, 01:51:50 AM »
JD, I stand corrected.  After reading your post I went and looked at the drawings and noticed that the actual wheelbase is in fact 189.9”.  8-)  Tony

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: October 26, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »
Modified Roadster People - Lets make some thing clear(er) here - We are taking about a VINTAGE CATAGORY car here  - see 2010 Rule book section 5.8.  This is not the SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION CATAGORY.  In my opinion that means certain things - for one, for a roadster, the body is the defining factor that makes it what it is. To cover and shroud the surfaces that make it a roadster is against the "spirit" of the rule requirement for production roadster body.  If you add a couple of extra inches here on the engine cover, a couple of inches there on the turtle deck shrouds you are streamlining the roadster body.  More than one of these "special" modified roadsters have been referred to as lakesters - that should tell you something needs changing. One thing that makes a real roadster "fun" to drive is that turtledeck - to take that out of the equations with "chute covers and exhaust shrouds" for aero benefit sure takes the sport out of it. - Pat

Offline krusty

« Reply #222 on: October 26, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
Pat, do you believe that flattening the cowl of a vintage category car, and continuing the flat area as a tonneau cover to the rear of the passenger compartment is within the "spirit" of the category? I know that it's within the rules. I, too have (had) a dog in this fight as I designed and built the former #325 D/GRMR record holder (now the #1429 and to be powered in 2011 by a ?? class engine). Neither the cowl nor the tonneau area has given up any of its original shape, ( except to cover the engine), unlike many other roadsters (front or rear-engined). The complete deck lid area is intact; it just has some evidently legal parachute fairings covering some of it.     vic

Offline desotoman

« Reply #223 on: October 26, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »

Tony - Please stop referring to your RMR as a lakester!  :-o  Pretty soon some other roadster toads will start formin' committees to tighten up the rules on us rear-engined guys  :evil: Heard the lakester comment about ours last year, and its way taller and shorter than yours.  :-D  Wish I was still workin' @`Sears Point and could be in on your project - it will be the best RMR ever.  Hope to see you @ Speedweek; I'll be there for sure.      vic

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #224 on: October 26, 2010, 07:31:57 PM »
Whoooeeee  8-) ---me thinks we have a phrophet in our midst!!!!!!!!!!!   :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!