Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290942 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #195 on: July 10, 2010, 06:11:01 PM »
In that case, I suspect that it might be the sight software.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline krusty

« Reply #196 on: July 10, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
Tony - Please stop referring to your RMR as a lakester!  :-o  Pretty soon some other roadster toads will start formin' committees to tighten up the rules on us rear-engined guys  :evil: Heard the lakester comment about ours last year, and its way taller and shorter than yours.  :-D  Wish I was still workin' @`Sears Point and could be in on your project - it will be the best RMR ever.  Hope to see you @ Speedweek; I'll be there for sure.      vic

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #197 on: July 10, 2010, 06:43:41 PM »
Pretty soon some other roadster toads will start formin' committees to tighten up the rules on us rear-engined guys  :evil: Heard the lakester comment about ours last year, and its way taller and shorter than yours.      vic

Vic, I know what you mean, thanks to you guys we had to redesign the back of the car in anticipation of the new faring rule passing this year. I guess some guys would rather rule there way into keeping records. Most likely some toad didn’t like your fairings.  At least you guys aren’t running a vintage engine, then it would be worse. Enough of my ranting.

I wish I could take the credit for the design, but there are a lot of guys from different backgrounds that have contributed on the project.  That diverse background is what makes this car and gives its soul.  Lets catch up on the salt at Speed Week, I will be helping Pete Aardema if runs his liner.  Tony
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:53:19 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

saltfever

« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2010, 04:28:54 AM »
I just loaded Firefox and the pic shows up fine. Photo bucket also displays the pic just fine when using Firefox. IE (latest version) is a complete failure with no pic. Tony, if you see this first disregard my PM request and thanks for the pic. It sure looks "clean" before the wheels are added! :-D
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 04:53:44 PM by saltfever »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:22 PM »
David Woodruff brought an interesting point to my attention on how the air may effect the parachute deployment on our roadster.   This is something we never thought of and was only concentrating on how the parachutes were mounted and if left unchecked could of led to some bad results.   We will let the CFD tell us if we need to make changes in the back to accommodate this. Thanks Woody!!!  :cheers: Tony

Offline maguromic

« Reply #200 on: August 10, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »
These are a couple of screen shots from some of our CFD runs that were performed by David Woodruff.  The first picture is of Surface Pressure Plots, PSI.  The second one is of Projected Chute Paths.  Tony

Interesting wake behind the car.

saltfever

« Reply #201 on: August 11, 2010, 12:12:47 AM »
The diffusers under the car seem to be working quite well. I wonder if they are moving the CG closer to the CP?  The low pressure inside the rims is interesting. Was the car modeled without Moon covers on the wheels?

Interesting comment on the pic. I always thought a rudimentary explanation of the CP was the "balance point" of the profile. IOW, if blowing on it sideways, it is the point where the object will not rotate in either direction. Is balance point something else? Do they mean CG?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 12:20:17 AM by saltfever »

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #202 on: August 11, 2010, 11:20:44 PM »
The blue, and I assume this to be low pressure, strip around the nose at the "axle" line is interesting??

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
SF & Rex

If the side wind was evenly distributed on a 2D profile I would guess that the CG and CP of that section would coincide. As you can see from the top side shot the pressures (blue is low) are not even but then the airflow is not pushing on the side it is pushing on the front. In short I think there is no 2D solution for a 3D problem with interactions. 2D wing sections are considered infinite in length and all bets are off when you make a real wing, attach it to a fuselage and flap it in the breeze! But I think this tool will give us all some new insights!

Theoretically there would be a shape that this would true - maybe a 1966 SS Malibu :?

BTW: This is a first pass look at a fixed model in the digital wind tunnel! Next we get the wheels (w/Moons) spinning and the ground moving at 300 mph! :-D Stay tuned!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Rick Byrnes

« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2010, 09:35:02 PM »
Woody, are you on the salt?
Rick

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2010, 09:56:21 PM »
Rick, I am still at home living the LSR experience vicariously through others! (Thanks to SSS and all the others!)

Current plan is a couple of days at WoS to get my salt fix this year!
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline maguromic

« Reply #206 on: September 10, 2010, 01:52:24 AM »
Thanks to Woody we have been learning a lot of things from the CFD. Some things we thought were logical were completely off and something’s that we thought wouldn’t work worked.  Lots of changes are ahead, some subtle and some not so subtle.  But in the meantime I am working on finishing the GMC, and thanks to Doug Robinson for loaning me his pattern we will be adding the extra supports for the seven main crank and the three extra supports for the cam. Next week the pattern is off to the foundry for casting. Tony

Offline rebelce

« Reply #207 on: September 11, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »
Have you found a suitable crank and cam or will you just have them built?   How do you hold the girdle in and what do you use for main bearings?   Looks good Tony, it will certainly be a work when it's finished.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #208 on: September 12, 2010, 12:35:58 AM »
Armond, The crank I told you about I made snapped in three when we were flogging the mule motor on the dyno.  I decided I didn’t want to go through this all over again and went with the 7 mains when Doug Robinson generously offered the use of his pattern. Arrow Precision in the UK is making the crank and I am going to ruff out the cam and send it out to my cam grinder for him to do his magic.  The girdle is tied into the pan rail and cross-bolted on the block; it also uses custom 4 bolt mains cross-bolted on all 7 mains with Chrysler bearings.  This has been a little slow as I have been side tracked with my Mickey Thompson Indy engine build with Pete Aardema for my street rod.  Missed you at Speed Week and our deep conversations into the night with a good beer. Tony

Offline ATS, Inc

• New folks
« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2010, 12:39:17 AM »
Tony, was your Mickey Thompson motor on the cover of Hot Rod Magazine back in the early 60's? Sounds cool, if you have the Aardema's working on it, it should be running in no time. Any pictures?