Author Topic: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build  (Read 290937 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Rear Engine Modified Roadster Build
« Reply #180 on: June 24, 2010, 01:28:37 AM »
Since I mentioned the seat on the air brakes discussion I have had a few PM’s on what type of seat I was going to run.  It’s not any particular type of seat (we will be pouring our own seat for each driver) but we will be incorporating straps to pull the driver out with the seat as well as to secure the driver to the seat.  In the event the driver needs to be extracted from the car, we are going to use the seat to immobilize the driver prior to extraction (its a lot safer than trying to slide a back board in).  I haven't checked with the safety crews yet, but most likely we will need to give the attaching cross straps to the safety crews for their kits.   The best method is not to use this system, but its just one of the safety features we are building into the car.  Tony

This is a similar F1 seat with the straps.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:31:42 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #181 on: June 24, 2010, 07:45:13 AM »
Finished up the charge cooler ends today, still have to finish up the housing. The charger cooler element is a Cummins 855 oil cooler.  Same style that was used  on the Hill & Hill stream liner about 12-15 years ago.  With a E motored Indy Buick V6, they went from  260 without the cooler to 363  by only adding the cooler.  They were never able to back up the run. Tony

Tony, how are you guys sealing the ends and tube to the cooler element and outer tube? I assume the ones Jerry mades with PVC he is glueing somehow? I would worry about the solder on the tubes to end plates if soldering ..unless you used a lower temp solder.

Hans

Offline maguromic

« Reply #182 on: June 24, 2010, 01:43:18 PM »
Hans, Everything is bolted together with four rods that run the length of the cooler.  We had to sacrifice four tubes to achieve this.  Because of the tube configuration, the ends have to be clocked perfectly to line up (I have added alignment marks on the ends).  I used 70 Buna N, size 250 “O” rings on the ends for sealing, and this is how Jerry does it with the PVC tube also.  Last month he switched over to the aluminum tube as well when Mark Miller's engine was on the dyno and the PVC intercooler housing started to melt from the heat.  :-o

If you are going to use something like this, don’t forget to add the drain back lines for the water.  It can get very cold at night at both Bonneville and Elmo and the water might freeze in the tubes.  Tony

Ends have been modified for Wiggins clamps.

“O” ring and  machined weld-on for the –12 water lines.

Offline Hans Blom

« Reply #183 on: June 24, 2010, 06:16:53 PM »
nice Tony, yeah I would be leary of pressurized vessel that saw lots of temperature and pressure differential that was glued together...not that it couldn't or wouldn't work for a long time, but it would be in the back of my head all the time as well as the non-serviceable aspect. Looks like you guys modified the tubes right at the plate so they sit flush with a little radius?

Offline maguromic

« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2010, 01:45:13 AM »
I had a few PM's asking me to post a picture of the body with the mesh for CFD. Without giving up any IP, this is an early model of the body without the rear wing and suspension ready for some CFD runs. So far each run has taken about 10 hours each. Tony

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:52:29 AM by maguromic »

saltfever

« Reply #185 on: July 10, 2010, 04:59:28 AM »
Opps!  Where did the picture go, Tony?  Went to photobucket and couldn't find it there either. bummer . . .
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 05:01:27 AM by saltfever »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #186 on: July 10, 2010, 09:20:59 AM »
Looks awesome Tony. I can't wait to see the real thing.

Pete

Offline mkilger

« Reply #187 on: July 10, 2010, 11:19:33 AM »
Tony, I didnt know you were building a liner  :evil: LOL

Offline maguromic

« Reply #188 on: July 10, 2010, 01:43:46 PM »
Tony, I didnt know you were building a liner  :evil: LOL

Mike, Not all of us have the big HP number of your roadster :-o, we have to let the aero help us a little, besides at 21’ long and 2 ½’ feet tall its close a liner or at least a lakester.  :evil: I have a batch of tea set a side for you. Do you  want me to send it to you or bring it to the salt? Tony
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:45:37 PM by maguromic »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #189 on: July 10, 2010, 01:53:13 PM »
Opps!  Where did the picture go, Tony?  Went to photobucket and couldn't find it there either. bummer . . .

I haven't touched it and I just checked and its still there.  If you want PM me your email as I cant seem to find it, and I will send you a jpeg. Tony
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 01:57:47 PM by maguromic »

saltfever

« Reply #190 on: July 10, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
Thanks, Tony.  Since others can see it, it is obviously "cockpit errors" at my end. I'll work on the "red X" thing.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #191 on: July 10, 2010, 03:55:11 PM »
I don't know the secret handshake either even when signed into photobucket in another window.    :cry:

Mike

But I'll bet that that little red x will be really fast.   :mrgreen:
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #192 on: July 10, 2010, 05:47:32 PM »
Surprise, surprise, it's a Microsoft thing!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

It comes up fine on my MAC. It comes up fine on my PC when I run Google Chrome. Same PC running Explorer results in a little red x.

The gnomes from Redmond strike again! :? :? :?

Pete

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #193 on: July 10, 2010, 05:56:47 PM »
Just for the information of those running a PC I loaded Google Chrome by mistake at one point and I've left it on the machine ever since. The reason is that it does things that have been problematic with Internet Explorer. I still run Explorer normally but when I run into issues with Explorer I switch to Chrome and I can do things like seeing the above picture and participating in the Tuesday chat sessions. I'm not savvy enough with PCs to overcome the issues that Microsoft chooses to create.

Pete

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #194 on: July 10, 2010, 05:59:59 PM »
P.S.

Comes up on Firefox W/ Windows XP.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)