Author Topic: Number Plates  (Read 4165 times)

landracing

Number Plates
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:01:00 AM »
Section 3.I in rule book I hope could be changed. It says two white Number Plates... We all know that number plates just on most bikes are not possible. I would suggest that it be changed to visible numbers on bike of 3" high and 1" wide.  With visible letters. That mean they dont have to be black or white, visible color to see from a distance.

Jonathan

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Number Plates
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 10:29:00 AM »
I'll chip in here with a reason for good, visible numbers -- to help Ron Christensen, the radio announcer, see which vehicle is at the line.  I've spent a few hours in the tower with him, and even with binoculas it's often difficult to read the number on a bike (car/truck, too).  I know that color and design scheme have a lot to do with the display, so try to keep ron in mind when you're putting numbers on your vehicle.  It helps him make a more interesting broadcast.

As for number "plates":  I've seen more racers trying to bend that part of the rule to their own needs - some potential streamlining effect, mostly - than I can count.  Lots of hassles, lots of stress -- all for strict compliance with that rule.  Nobody's ever complained about the numbers on my bike -- which wears its' numbers on the tailsection, right on the blue bodywork -- no white 6" x 8" white background or anything like it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com