Author Topic: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed  (Read 13814 times)

Offline jl222

Re: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
  Adding to my post above it looks like he has suspended the engine-trans and rear end between latter bars.This enables transfering weight from front area of car to rear and to change the instant center position if he has different mounting holes for the latter bar. Same principal as  ordinary latter bars but more unsprung weight to deal with.
  For some that don't know, with a rear engine car and straight axel rear end there is no room for a drive shaft. A driveshaft enables the rear end to move up and down with its ujoints and to have springs and shocks. If you have an independent rearend [as in Maguromic's build] no problem.

JL222 :cheers:

« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 10:56:03 PM by jl222 »

saltfever

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2009, 06:07:13 AM »
(snip. . . )
For some that don't know, with a rear engine car and straight axel rear end there is no room for a drive shaft. 
I'm not so sure of that. IIRC, the Bean Bandits had a short driveshaft in this car in '06.

saltfever

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
This car had the entire engine, trans, and rear end all mounted on a common plane with a pivot location at the front of the engine.

saltfever

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 06:32:34 AM »
This shows the location of the pivot point. It is basically a subframe mounted within the car frame. Since there is no differential motion between the trans and rearend a greek coupler can be used.

saltfever

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 06:38:37 AM »
Here is a shot looking from the back, forward to the engine. That is the greek coupler attached to the rear of transmission. The rear end has been removed in this pic. Everything is attached rigidly together and they all move together as the rear moves up and down. The frame they are mounted to is separate from the car frame and pivots toward the front of the engine. The rear end is bolted solidly to the pivot frame very near the shocks location.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 06:41:49 AM by saltfever »

saltfever

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2009, 06:50:29 AM »
Here is a different car that ran in '03.

saltfever

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2009, 06:59:17 AM »
Same car but a close up. Enlarge the pic and you will see the trans under the blanket and the quick change. I think this car is pivoted toward the middle of the mass. (or the CG of the mass). That saves a huge amount of unsprung weight.

Sorry about the multiple postings but the size limit wouldn't let me combine pics in one posting.  :-(