Author Topic: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed  (Read 13815 times)

Offline jl222

Re: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
Like this John.....

Yea thats it what a great idea. Whose is it and what's it for?

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Bville701

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 07:18:29 PM »
I think that was Roy Fijasted's rear engine modified roadster. (Sorry Roy, I think I spelt his last name wrong)
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 09:12:35 PM »
wow ! great stuff. definitely a wood bench, and sums web site is loaded with good stuff. thanks  .looks like the record for grmr is around 208 vs 202 the previous year, how far out do you think record might go in this class in 5 years or so?  thanks for all bits and pics..   mitch :-D

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 10:19:09 PM »
Like this John.....

Just curious with all that unsprung weight going up and down how did it effect the traction? From looking at the shocks it looks like their is 2" of travel (1"up and 1" down). Does anybody know?  It sure is an interesting set up.  :cheers:

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:57 PM »
This may sound sarcastic, but if you get a good time slip you needent worry about "too much unsprung weight".

We're all guilty of maybe because  of the imperfections in Landspeed Racing of a lot of little things that may be more correct from an engineering standpoint that are violated and yet people run amazingly fast.

Good example -  the frontal area violations caused by  the huge scoop and zoomie headers hanging out of the 66 RDSTR! Shame, shame!

Only 249 on dirt!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline maguromic

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:09 PM »
I wasn't  knocking it just trying to understand the logic behind it.  The parts on the BMR car are mostly determined by fuel and the engine Doug is running. When they were on gas they had a different exhaust and scoop.

The reason I ask is I am helping a friend build his rear engine car and in the phase of drawing the frame out. Its an interesting set up, just trying to figure out the logic.

"but if you get a good time slip you needent worry about "too much unsprung weight".  This is like horse shoes and hand grenades, close is good enough.  But if you have a clean sheet of paper why not optimize it.  :-)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:46:53 PM by maguromic »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 10:54:31 PM »
Once I figured out how far the car would travel in 1/10 of a second at 270 I went back to solid suspension & Torsen.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 10:57:31 PM »
With all due respect to "The Racing Tea Salesman" and your informative posts, indeed  unsprung weight is VERY important since TRACTION is as impostant as Cd IMHOP.

Too many examples of maximum speed on 40% throttle etc. etc.

Keeping the rubber to the road.

Offline maguromic

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:26 PM »
"The Racing Tea Salesman"   Now that's funny. :-D

I am still trying to figure out why he went with that set up.  If it worked,  great then it might be an option to look at.  But does anyone know why it was used?  The Lee Chapel stream liner used a similar set up and I am sure some others have done it also.

Tony

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2009, 11:30:54 PM »
I'm thinking packaging was the criteria for loading the suspension with the whole drive line.

In the '50s it wasn't too uncommen for shortening up the Ford driveline to the U-joint -had to be six spline -at the trans thus having the engine and trans hooked to the early Ford or quickchange center section input.   The FRONT axle wishbone was used and attched to a pivot on the frame with the engine trans and the attached rear end now encapsulated in  that package. It used a stock-type Ford rear cross spring for suspension, if you follow, on the r engine modified roadsters  of the day.

An alternative today might be to turn the engine and transmission around and take a drive off  the trans that would be now the FRONT over to the left or right alongside the rear-facing motor to an offset pinion on the rear housing.

You would avoid the complexity of U-jointed half shafts.The shaft off the trans past the engine has U joints of course, and you could devise most any kind of live axle linkage as required.

Been done a few times.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 12:13:24 AM by interested bystander »

Offline maguromic

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:39 PM »
interested bystander, Thanks, that was very informative. :cheers:

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 12:16:04 AM »
Yrs truly rewoked his post above - I re-read it and realized it was hard for ME to follow!

Maguromic- "Aw, shucks."

Thanks for the kudo!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 09:51:37 AM »
I B dont give up- :?--inquiring minds need to know.. :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
Once I figured out how far the car would travel in 1/10 of a second at 270 I went back to solid suspension & Torsen.

Everybody interested in suspension should read the ''bloodhound thread'' under thrust- powered land speed information [home page near bottom]IOOmm or 4'' total bump and droop 1000 mph design.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 01:57:38 PM by jl222 »

Offline jl222

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 02:15:51 PM »
Like this John.....

Just curious with all that unsprung weight going up and down how did it effect the traction? From looking at the shocks it looks like their is 2" of travel (1"up and 1" down). Does anybody know?  It sure is an interesting set up.  :cheers:

I would think that Roy went to suspension to keep from shocking the tires [not as in shock absorbers]. With solid suspension your wheel rate [as Carroll Smith explains in his books goes to infinity!!!] RESULTING IN WHEELSPIN. Well just add weight but hang on.

JL222 :-o

Company coming might not be back today