Author Topic: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed  (Read 13854 times)

Offline mitchell968

new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed
« on: February 21, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »
hi guys. looks like im gonna build a grmr (gas rear engine mod roadster). who can i talk to that runs in this class to help me get started in the right direction ?  thanks    mitch :-D

Offline Bville701

Re: new guy rear engine mod roadster advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »
We run in front engine modified roadster. What kind of info are you looking for?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
well...basiclly, everything. probablly should start with frame bench ideas that will accomodate this type of car , one off you know. other then that, i guess ill start looking for info on frame rails(tube or rectangle),and coming up with the base line ride height numbers.  what other info should i look for in these beginning stages ?  thanks              mitch :-D

Offline Bville701

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:33:13 PM »
That's a good idea. I know a guy who had welded a few I-Beams together to build a frame bench to help him get started. I don't know if that's up your alley or not, but it seemed to work for him. We used square for the frame, but that was just because it was easier to work with. IMO the round tubing looks better. I would also get a rule book so that you can make sure you are building the standards of SCTA.

IMO I would make the car as long and low as I could. One thing on our car that I would've done differently would've been to make the frame fit to the roadster body. What I mean by that is that a roadster body doesn't just come straight back. The body kind of bows out a bit. If you make the frame to fit this bow in the body, it will give you more room to put things.

Let me know if this helps, or if you would like some different info.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
I am returning a big favor by helping a friend build a RMR.  In the next few weeks I will start a build diary on his car.   I am drawing the frame and will utilize both tube and rectangle structure.  We settled  on the car having a mid-30% aero balance (front divided by total). There are about 10 of us working on this project and all of us have day jobs, so it will be a slow build.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 12:02:21 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »
Go to one of the venues and look at them.  Get an inspection form from the venue your going to run. Reread the rule book 100 times.. Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 11:50:56 PM »
Jimmy six is right about not only reading the rule book but getting a copy of the tech inspection form (it's on the SCTA web site). That form helps with a lot of little things you don't think about during the build.

This is the frame of our car on the jig & on the trailer. It's not a rear engine car but ou can see some of the chassis build detail.

Here's a rear engine car underconstruction.

Here's our car at the salt in '08 during it's rookie outing.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:24 AM »
I am returning a big favor by helping a friend build a REMR.  In the next few weeks I will start a build diary on his car.   I am drawing the frame and will utilize both tube and rectangle structure.  We settled  on the car having a mid-30% aero balance (front divided by total). Their are about 10 of us working on this project and all of us have day jobs, so it will be a slow build.  

I saw pictures some-where showing suspension on a rear engine car [not independent]. The engine- trans and rear were all solidly hooked together and moved like a swingarm, pivoting from front area of engine. One frame work inside another [something like that].

JL222

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:08:17 AM »
Like this John.....

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:17:58 AM »
thanks guys !  got the 08 rulebook ! waiting on 09 .  mitch             :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »
I've really liked building my car on a wood build..............

table.  It is easy to place parts ................

...........almost anywhere.....

.....on it and then replace them....

.......with the real thing.  It was extremely versatile.  Now if I was doing more than one frame/car and they were going to be identical then a steel build plate would be the ticket.

c ya,

Sum

Offline Bville701

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:25:44 AM »
That's a good idea Sum.   :cheers:

Pop, thanks for posting those pics. I couldn't find mine on the CPU.     :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 12:50:19 AM »
nice benches ! anybody got a ballpark weight of these cars to build a bench that wont squat over 3-5 years ? ill build steel if i have too, but i think im going build a wood one.    thanks  :-D

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
nice benches ! anybody got a ballpark weight of these cars to build a bench that wont squat over 3-5 years ? ill build steel if i have too, but i think im going build a wood one.    thanks  :-D

Here is the link to mine..............

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/bvillecar/construction%20page-11.html

.......... and it hasn't sagged over my extended build time  :cry:.  I doubt your car would weigh much more than mine.

I wish I could take the credit for this idea, but while visiting with a friend in Phoenix about 10 years ago he took me to a guys house where the guy was building a really nice street rod on one.  He made all is own suspension, frame, etc. and the easy of locating components using the wood stuck in my mind,

Sum

dwarner

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
Best part of using a wood fixture table and mock up parts is that you have fuel for the fireplace after the conversion to steel.

DW