Author Topic: Bluebird K7 - jet hydroplane of Donald Campbell  (Read 7742 times)

Offline Malcolm UK

Bluebird K7 - jet hydroplane of Donald Campbell
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:36:07 PM »
Yes folks I know that Seldom Seen Slim is running a Landspeed site but many of you will have speed interests (I hope) beyond the salt flats and deserts.

After crashing during a speed bid to go over 300 mph through the measured kilo two ways in 1967 the remains of Donald and his boat lay on the bottom of Coniston Water for 34 years.  In 2001 both boat and the remains of Donald were recovered for his daughter, Gina.

Donald now has a grave in the cemetery in Coniston (a small village in the English Lake District) and the recovery diver has headed a team to rebuild (from most of the recovered parts - about 98% less the engine) the jet powered hydroplane K7.  The boat is being returned to the working order that it was in on the morning of the 4th January 1967.

To demostrate that the restoration has been truly faithfull the team of engineers wish to run the craft on Coniston Water in 2010.  Just fast enough, after build up runs, to get onto the 'plane' - about 100 mph.  To achieve this aspiration the project operations team (of which I am a part) need to get the Park Authority to write a special local bye law.  This bye law will permit this boat to exceed the 10 mph speed limit for powered craft under certain safety standards.

Should you appreciate what we are doing and take an interest in speed - even when on water - then please visit the website of the project www.bluebirdproject.com

If you then feel that our bid for a new bye law is sound, please answer the Lake District National Park Authority questionnaire before 31st March at www.lake-district.gov.uk/bluebirdconsultation  Just one response per person please.

If you can pass word around the world please do so.  Maybe we will see one or two lake side in 2010 if we get the new bye law.

Thanks for taking an interest. :cheers:

Malcolm Pittwood (aka 'Malcolm UK') for The Bluebird Project Operations, England
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bluebird K7 - jet hydroplane of Donald Campbell
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:26 PM »
Malcolm:

As a long-time member of the Forum, and as a regular contributor and resource -- you are more than welcome to stray from LAND speed racing into other aspects of going fast.  I appreciate your caution in broaching the subject - and assure you that I don't mind your efforts to gather some outside support for the watercraft's rebirth and running.  I'll take a look at the links you've offered, and assuming I find them to be worthwhile -- I might just respond to the questionnaire.  I invite the others on this Forum to think about helping Malcolm's accomplices.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:52:26 AM »
 done.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »
Wow!  I can't wait to see the footage and photos of the completed boat!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:24:03 PM »
The consultation has concluded and the analysis has been carried out by independant consultants.

The result so far is that the officers of the Lake District Park Authority have submitted a paper in favour of Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7 jet powered hydroplane being tested on Consiton Water in excess of the speed limit for powered craft.

A full committe meeting this coming Wednesaday (May 20th) will hopefully ratify the proposed change to the bye law, so that the craft can go above 10 mph on the Cumbrian lake - Coniston Water.

The latest restoration & rebuild diary and pictures are on the project website.

Thanks.

Malcolm UK

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 03:37:57 AM »
Forgot to post that permission through a change in the Coniston Water bye laws will allow Bluebird K7 to be trialled at speeds above 10 mph.  After she has reached planing condition (say 100 mph) the restorers will part with the 'big blue boat'.  The jet powered hydroplane goes into the Ruskin Museum in the village of Coniston sometime in 2011 for all to visit. 

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 04:59:31 AM »
Malcom,Great news that this is going to happen! Hope that signing the petition has helped this.Who's the Pilot??
 Cheers from Aussie,Bob.
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 01:23:38 PM »
All those who signed up were helpful in getting the LDNPA to understand what an International icon the Bluebird K7 is and the trials approved by the committee.

The only person named for the driving job is current outright WSR holder Ken Warby, who accepted an invite when in England a few years ago. 

Whilst I have driven an Orpheus powered LSR car (that still holds the outright UK record in the hands of the owner) and I can be quite good at following orders, my boating speeds of under 60 mph would not get me the ride.  So I am organising the trials and all that goes into setting in place a safe event.

Malcolm UK
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:25:21 PM by Malcolm UK »

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 02:50:22 PM »
perfect info for this thread
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
Interesting :-), Malcolm, have you set, or are you working towards a tenative date when these trials may happen?,,,as i am planing on coming over to Goodwood for their event next year,, checking out the Bluebird K7 boat would be one off the "must see" things whilst in Britian :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 04:26:12 AM »
The stakeholders (business people and others involved in the Lake District lands) have made it clear that the Bluebird Project will not be welcomed to trial during the summer.  They wish to see a large crowd at a time when their visitor numbers will have decreased. 

The Goodwood Festival of Speed moves only a few weekends either way from its summer date (its 3/4/5 July this year), so the boat will not be running when you are here in 2010.  The early part of the Autumn of next year (2010) is the earliest that trials can be expected, but it is probable we may need to move to spring 2011. 

There is no fixed timetable for the restoration because, as the skills of the team in bringing bent metal back into a usable state increases, so more of the recovered metal is being put back into place - very labour intensive and time consuming. 

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 05:58:22 AM »
Thankyou :-), i will be watching the progress on K7, and make a decision when the trials dates are posted,,,  :cheers:
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »
The latest news on the relaunching trial of Bluebird K7.

The Secretary of State should sign off the approval of the bye law changes which will allow the craft to be operated at speeds over 10 mph on Coniston Water before the end of Feb 2011.

The reconstruction is going well and even more recovered material is being incorporated all the time (see www.bluebirdproject.com).  There will be a Trust established to ensure that the craft does not become a sterile display after completion but remains a working example of speed record history.

The pilot during the trials will be power boat racer and water speed record holder Ted Walsh.  He has achieved a 150 mph FS kilo speed at last years records week when he broke a World & National Record.

Now looking for 2012 to bring all the elements together for the trial event.

Malcolm, Derby, England