Author Topic: Electric Water Pumps?  (Read 12440 times)

Offline MAZDA1807

Re: Electric Water Pumps?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
What if you slow the pump down by using a different pully?
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

McRat

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »
It's driven off the cam with a helical cut gear, so regearing it is major undertaking.  Cam gear is critical, so it can't be altered.

Strange thing about Duramaxes is they are built more race engines than industrial devices.  Gear driven cam, fully counterweighted forged nitrated crank, piston crown oil cooling jets (internally), solid roller cam, 4v per cyl, aluminum heads, intercooled variable nozzle turbocharger with watercooling, 6 head bolts per cylinder, etc.  Just changing the factory tune will double the engine output.  But the cooling system isn't very good even at stock power levels for some reason. 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 06:05:15 PM by McRat »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 06:21:40 PM »
I would be building me a heat exchanger in the bed and be putting much cooler  water through the block---also you can almost remove as much heat with oil as you can with water.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 07:04:51 PM »
I would be building me a heat exchanger in the bed and be putting much cooler  water through the block---also you can almost remove as much heat with oil as you can with water.

Good idea!

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 09:15:40 PM »
Are you (McRat) running a thermostat?  If you are I would recommend slowing the flow down by a restrictor of some sort.  If you are not, you might want to think about putting it back in.  What i've had a problem with is that the water moves too fast and doesn't have enough time to cool off in the radiator, therefore slowing the flow down most likley will help as it did my car.                Peter

McRat

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:35:07 PM »
Yup, running factory thermostats.

Offline Racerboy

• Ken Pike
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
Slowing down the water that goes through the engine will help it can pick up the heat . If the water moves to fast it won't pick up the heat and cool the metal surface. I am going to put a water shut off valve like I have on the water main going into the house on the return line to the water tank. That way I can control and slow down the amount of water returned to the tank and it will make pressure in the system also. This is something that we did with our drag cars in the past. Also if you run a water tank make sure that it has baffles and that helps also.  All of this is my 2 cents from an old fart anyway.
Long Live the Comp Coupe's

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:36 PM »
Slowing down the water that goes through the engine will help it can pick up the heat . If the water moves to fast it won't pick up the heat and cool the metal surface. I am going to put a water shut off valve like I have on the water main going into the house on the return line to the water tank. That way I can control and slow down the amount of water returned to the tank and it will make pressure in the system also. This is something that we did with our drag cars in the past. Also if you run a water tank make sure that it has baffles and that helps also.  All of this is my 2 cents from an old fart anyway.

McRat, I also agree with Racerboy about slowing down the water.  Maybee you should try a smaller orifice then the stock thermostat.  It should help with the over-heating problem, being as you are spinning the engine faster that stock.

dwarner

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 09:39:50 PM »
Instead of a manual valve how about a thermostat controlled switch that starts and stops the pump at whatever temp you want? They are available from Grainger.

DW

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 09:41:29 PM »
Instead of a manual valve how about a thermostat controlled switch that starts and stops the pump at whatever temp you want? They are available from Grainger.

DW

Thatys another good idea.                Peter

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:42:01 PM »
The tech at Stewart says slowing down has nothing to do with amt of heat transferd---the restrictions raise PRESSURE and lets it stay LIQUID instead of turning to STEAM---read GH testmony---if it stays liquid---it will carry off the heat no matter what the speed---if it is slowed it might contain more btus for a given volume up to boiling
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:50:50 PM »
The tech at Stewart says slowing down has nothing to do with amt of heat transferd---the restrictions raise PRESSURE and lets it stay LIQUID instead of turning to STEAM---read GH testmony---if it stays liquid---it will carry off the heat no matter what the speed---if it is slowed it might contain more btus for a given volume up to boiling

Presicelslty, so slowing down the flow of coolant will transfer the heat better.     
                                                      Peter

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 10:54:57 PM »

slowing down the fluid transfer would be a restriction, no?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »
peter---the water speed has very little to do with how much heat leaves the metal---faster is generally better if the pressure is the same---gives you a greater temp diff, which lets you remove more from the metal---something called Delta T or something. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 11:34:39 PM »
peter---the water speed has very little to do with how much heat leaves the metal---faster is generally better if the pressure is the same---gives you a greater temp diff, which lets you remove more from the metal---something called Delta T or something. 

I side totally with Sparky on this and is what I've read.  Slowing the water down is not the way to go, but this subject is like religion, politics and chevy vs. ford, so I'm not going to try and convince anyone.  I do know that if I burn my hand I would rather have faster cold water running over it vs. slower water and know that if I want to cool something the faster the water flows over it (same temp water) the faster it is going to cool down.

Mike and sparky are right about the pressure and the steam pockets.

Now if the water pump is driven faster than it's design speed and cavitates then it needs to be slowed down.

c ya,

Sum
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 11:39:31 PM by Sumner »