Author Topic: Electric Water Pumps?  (Read 12443 times)

McRat

Electric Water Pumps?
« on: February 19, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »
Anyone using a high flow electric?  What kind do you like?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Electric Water Pumps?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 04:33:44 PM »
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

McRat

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 04:39:26 PM »
Thanks!  I've had mixed luck with the search, but I should have tried that first.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:25:48 PM »
I've had mixed luck with the search

The search engine starts from the page you are on. If you search from this page for electric water pump you only get this page.

Start ALL searches from the main forum page. The same search results in several pages of info.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
Dean,

Thanks for the tip.  Now in my file for future use.

Ed Purinton

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 11:22:29 PM »
Am I off topic or do you want a high performance water pump like Meziere (my favorite) and many others make?

You might call and ask for Don Meziere if the application is a one-off or unusual (like a 57Tbird) and needs special attention. Their ads are all over the high performance world and they're on the net. Perhaps they can help you.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 11:24:50 PM »
Am I off topic or do you want a high performance water pump like Meziere (my favorite) and many others make?

You might call and ask for Don Meziere if the application is a one-off or unusual (like a 57Tbird) and needs special attention. Their ads are all over the high performance world and they're on the net. Perhaps they can help you.

IB we've been over this subject many times. Electric pumps have great flow but no pressure. This is a big issue in lsr.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 11:50:16 PM »
Mike, can you expand  a bit on this?

(My nickname is DUMB AS A POST regarding the subject!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:43 AM »
In the 2nd post Dean lists 4 different threads that this has been talked about. Pressure is a very important part of the process of heat transfer, not just flow. Ask any electronic pump manufacturer how much pressure they're pumps build at full song..... I have.  :wink: Not to mention what I "see" on the dyno.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »
Still not clear.

Let' say I have an F  Lakester - maybe 225 mph @ Bonneville - (I don't, but for grins on the subject) circulating coolant thru a water tank.

I have a Meziere water pump that just pumps volume, no pressure.

By pressurizing the system what kind of performance advantage will I realize? 5 - 10 MPH?

And how do I pressurize my system to achieve this?

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:07:06 AM »
The performance advantage is that witha lot of pressure in the heads you raise the boiling point and don't let the little bubles you see in the pan when you put water in it to boil---just before it starts to boil---There is NO heat transfer under the area of the bubble'. 
In '01 I runined a pair of 2 extras with a non pressure system. I now run a Stewart mechanical that flows the most that I can buy---they told me slow it down to 5500 max to keep it from cavitating.  So far I have had no other issues.---I run a big Mazier but as a transfer pump for my extra water tank to the heat excanger.---

Bottom line:  We have to have pressure to keep from having bubbles in our heads---I am air headed enough without any more bubbles :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline GH

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
I ran two different brands of electric water pumps, had problems building steam pockets in the heads and blowing radiator hoses off. I have since went to a high volume v-belt driven pump and ran hoses from the rear of the intake manifold to bleed of any air pockets. This has worked great, it is on a BBC.

McRat

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 12:20:50 PM »
What I'm going to do is to supplement the factory gear driven waterpump with electric(s) in an attempt to get more flow at high RPM. 
From my reading of those threads, the electrics listed are kind of wimpy.  Even the "big" ones are less than 1/4hp from what info they provide.  10amps x 13v = less than 1/4hp.  I was thinking 30-50 amps and a dedicated battery.

There is little aftermarket for the Duramax, so there isn't a "big pump" option other than 2006+ which uses a bigger pump (which I'm already doing).  While my "reported" water temp and EGT was fine, the engine overheated none-the-less, so thats my #1 performance challenge for this year.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 01:17:04 PM »
Not knowing the Duramax water pump, cant you just change the impeller to flow more?   
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

McRat

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
Not unless I make a whole new pump from scratch.  It's a turbine style cast iron impeller with fairly advanced design, using airfoil shaped "french curve" blades.  It's in a thin-wall aluminum housing.  And because it's gear driven, it's difficult to overdrive it.  It's integrated into the cam gear cover, so leaving it in would make life simplier.  So if I just "help" it, it should improve it's high speed performance.  It's design was for 3250 RPM, so running it at 4500 might be cavitating it.