Author Topic: Driving Suit  (Read 16007 times)

Offline 32hotrod

• New folks
Driving Suit
« on: February 18, 2009, 04:30:02 PM »
Can someone confirm what SFI level would be required for an A/GC car where the record is over 200. As I read the rule book it seems to say SFI 3.2/15 which means many manufactures don't have this level of suit
Thanks

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Driving Suit
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
Saparco, Simpson, Deist, Stroud and Impact make SFI 15 and SFI 20 suits.  These are just a few  that come to mind, and I am sure their are others that make them as well.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline rustyT

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 04:51:06 PM »
If the company is worthy of 200mph plus, they will make the suit, at those speeds do you really want to have a 200 dollar suit for your safety or someone that designs in the fact that it may take a minute or two to get to you and put the fire out? I asked the same question to the guys that built my fire suit, why do I need a sfi 20 suit when I have two 10# fire systems on board. His answer still gives me chills, He said threre are two kinds of fires, the first is the kind you activate the fire systems, and the second kind is the kind you are knocked out or not able to activate the fire systems and whrere does that leave you, waiting for someone else to save your life, and out there it may take a few presious moments that you will be able to spare with a good suit. So, step up and buy a good suit and you will never regret it.
Just my opinion..... with that and 2 bucks, you can get a cup of crappy coffee.   Phil.

McRat

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:32:45 PM »
The price difference between an SFI 15 and 20 isn't very much.  I went with the 20. 

Offline 32hotrod

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 05:55:58 PM »
Thanks guys for your replys, I am not questioning the need for which level. Just asking for clarfication to be sure we read the rules correctley.

Saefty is one area of racing where one does not skimp.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 08:22:12 PM »
The price difference between an SFI 15 and 20 isn't very much.  I went with the 20. 

Go with the 20 and be covered no matter what you might drive and for the added safety like the guys said.  I got mine from:

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/mullay32a2no.html

A good price, they needed lots of measurements and used them to make a good fitting suit, and they delivered quicker than they said they would.

c ya,

Sum

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 11:23:52 PM »
Shop a lot. Check out suppliers of used safety equipment. My first suit was a 1 year old Deist 3-2 from drag racer Gary Beck. I kept it folded in a suit case when it was not in use. Deist actually upgraded it to 3.2-20 years later and said it was because it was never hung up. I now have a Leaf -20 bought new at a high performance swap meet for $325 and a Simpson -15 for $150 also new. These are both in suit cases. They were both display models.......A lot of NHRA teams have folded. I would be on the look out. If well cared for they are as good as new..............Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bville701

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 11:33:39 PM »
Those are great prices. WHich Swap-Meets were those?
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
Check this site... I've seen suits very reasonable....

http://www.insidetopalcohol.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

bob

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 01:38:58 AM »
they go fast.... check every few days or more..

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »
2 lucky days in Long Beach.........................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bville701

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Thanks Bob      :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline BrentMalone

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:58:58 PM »
how long are the firesuits good for???
do you have to replace them in so many years like 5 or 10 years and get new
ones???
it was an sfi 3.2a/20 firesuit.

Thanks Brent

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »
For the most part indefinately. It's been a lot of years since SEMA went from a 3-2 and put the dashes(-15, and -20) behind them. I believe it was for blown and unblown....maybe front engine? As long as the technology does not change they won't need to be replaced in my opinion. Condition is the most important thing. NHRA Funny Car drivers are still popping out after being totally engulfed in flames.
If something does come along I'm sure the SCTA will follow with changes just like they did for head padding, and head and neck restraints. They have traditionally given a few more years to meet the new rules.
Good Luck

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 05:13:28 PM »
the SFI -20 suits have to be re-certified every 5 years. usually no problem. don't forget the glove and shoe requirements.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder