Poll

can any one help me with this salt fever thing?"build a car"they say?

SPECIFIC STUFF
4 (66.7%)
GENERAL CHAT
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: new guy needs advice  (Read 7308 times)

Offline mitchell968

new guy needs advice
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:46:15 AM »
hi everyone !  im going to build a car to begin the bonneville chapter of my life! i got the fever, im sure of it! got a 08 rule book too.25 year mechanic , army helicopter,a&p,ase diesel,marine diesel(ak  commerical fishing 12 yrs) and recently , up dated training,wyo tech chassis fab.living outside seattle now , repairing small boats . where do i start?  who do i call?  rule book contacts im sure , just havent done it ..i saw a guy named ron in 4 sale stuff with a good lookin silver camaro. is that a good place to start? ive got super solid wrench time,but my fab is more limited..got an engineer and local performance and jeep shop intrested in helping , but im going to do everything i can..my welding is fair tig, good mig and stick..big ak boat stuff..and yes, my main mission in life now is the 2 club. is it uncommon for one to get the fever before ever being to the salt ? thanks for the help !
                                mitchell haag      
                                greasemonkey968  :-D

Offline bvillercr

Re: new guy needs advice
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
You need to find a class you want to run in.  Look at the records(09 rule book) or scta-bni.org site to see what records you think are attainable to get a red hat.  Remember that you have to break a record over 200 to get a hat.  What year camaro?  Ask more questions and more will answer. :cheers:

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 12:55:50 PM »
hi procharger
     i fell in love with the rear engine mod roadster of noonans (cover of 08 rules book) but have no idea of the cost of such a ride. as for the year of camaro,early 80s or any thing with a good areo shape.i figured 4 to 5 years to complete a tube chassis car .so id like to find a production class car till then.thanks for the help
          mitch

Offline Bville701

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:03 PM »
The Production/Coupe/Altered classes have some pretty strong records in them, but is a fun and competitive class to run in. Welcome to Landracing.com. I hope you enjoy this site as much as I do.    :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline Bird21

• New folks
  • Old School with an open mind!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 05:55:55 PM »
Hi new guy! Me 2 to this web site. have wood bros. 93 winston cup car. if you like fords. just needs Motor & trans. dont know what class it would run in but it was  run 1 time at Darlington. Southern 500 & came in 8th. Should run 200+ if there is a intrest contact Bird21      or citgobird21@yahoo.com
Butch

Offline jl222

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 06:58:41 PM »
Hi new guy! Me 2 to this web site. have wood bros. 93 winston cup car. if you like fords. just needs Motor & trans. dont know what class it would run in but it was  run 1 time at Darlington. Southern 500 & came in 8th. Should run 200+ if there is a intrest contact Bird21      or citgobird21@yahoo.com

There is no class for winston cup [nascar cars] in lsr cars have to have stock bodies in most classes and stock from the firewall back on others. Nascars make their own bodies.

JL222

LittleLiner

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:35:03 PM »
. . Remember that you have to break a record over 200 to get a hat.   . . .
Also you must exceed the Bonneville 200mph club minimum if it is higher than the existing SCTA record. 

Offline Bird21

• New folks
  • Old School with an open mind!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:42:10 AM »
OK Guys thanks for the info as I said Im new guy 2 Bird21
Butch

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:39:27 AM »
hummmmm....... you wouldn't happen to have a blown alki T bird would ya?
kent

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »
ROTFLMAF!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline LittleMac

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 06:00:57 PM »
I got salt-smitten in 2005. By spring of 2006 I'd bought a lakester that had been idle 3 years.   That August I managed 4 runs making 4 upgrades to my new license. Fun!   In 2007, earned one more license upgrade but mecahnical problems cut it short.  In 2008, improved speed, but had a different mechanical.  This year goal is 280. 

My point -- buy something that exists and start racing quickly. After you learn to race, you'll have a better feel for what to build.  And you can be racing while you build.   GMac 

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:26:52 PM »
I see your point.

But some of us are more comfortable in something we know the whole history of.

And find a lot of joy in putting it together, too.

Racing it can almost be anti-climatic.

Stan Back
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Leadfoot

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:54 AM »
My advice would be to come out to the races and see whats out there, maybe a 130 club car or a 150 car would be more attainable. World of Speed has a great variety of cars and classes. Speedweek would also be a good choice for testing the water so to speak. Good Luck to you. Gary

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 03:20:25 AM »
I see your point.

But some of us are more comfortable in something we know the whole history of.

And find a lot of joy in putting it together, too.

Racing it can almost be anti-climatic.

Stan Back
Stan , is that something to do with global-warming?
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 11:20:17 AM »
Kent, funny, I was thinking the same thing. There was another bird guy on the chat line last night. Didn't say anything, lurked and left.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah