Author Topic: April Meet  (Read 21732 times)

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
Re: April Meet
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 01:44:18 AM »
Looks like I got the last room at the Finn's Inn Express...great location, real close to the track :-D
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS
Check out my "WILD HARE RACING" Land Speed Racing Rabbit album at;
http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/wild_hare_racing_land_speed_racing_rabbit
EAST COAST TIMING ASSOCIATION
I MAY BE GETTING OLDER.............BUT I REFUSE TO GROW UP!!
Shhhh........be vewy, vewy quiet........we are wacing a wabbit!!!!

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 10:18:52 PM »
Hey it/s my G/GSS running mate.  Didn't know you frequented these parts.  Actually not sure yet if I am running the car, bike or just volunteering at the April meet.  The car had 4 down hitch brackets added up gront and a hitch out back to tow the bike so it should theoretically be slower until the engine gets some attention.  I am still a few days away from see how it does towing the bike.

The customization of the 4x6 utility trailer for the bike is still ongoing but it is usable already.  Looks like tongue weight was up around 150 lbs which may be high for the miata.

As for the bike, all the safety gear is.  I added 160 miles today to bring the total to 200 and with a good forecast hopefully will hit 500+ by the end of the weekend.  Trying to get a 1k break-in before running the mile.  Stilll basically guessing at how much needs to be safety wired but hope to have the front axle/fork and oil drain/fill plugs done prior to the meet.  Broke in the race boots and gloves today but 1/2 day in those race boots wasn't much fun.  Doubt I will get to break in the suit on the street unless I wear it from that point until I get help getting it off of me.   :roll:

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »
One of our 2008 ZX14R bikes had all of 190 miles on it when it first ran at Bonneville last summer.  During the event we rolled another 30 or so miles on it - and top speed never varied much from that "break-in".  The bike went anywhere from 185 to 188.  We'll see what a winter of sitting idle - except for maybe some dyno time - has done for it.  It ran a 179 at Maxton last October -- we'll see if that's changed only FOUR WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!

Anyway -- I didn't worry about breaking in the bike on the long course -- wonder if I should have been concerned...
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 09:10:37 AM »
Good lookin RV set-up there John, is the Blue-Bird group gonna be there again this April?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline MiltonP

Re: April Meet - Another 300 miles today!
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 06:53:33 PM »
That gives me a touch over 500 miles on her.  I am taking her up around 7k rpm now and got to see how she feels around 85mph briefly on the Maryland Superspeedway (I-68   :-o )  I will try to get a few more hundred miles in keeping her at 7K and below and change the oil and filter before prior to bringing her down to Maxton.  May see if I can get a little safety wiring done tomorrow  unless I hit the road again.  My but may not be up to another long ride.  Ledft the Puma boots home this time so no tired feet.

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2009, 12:37:58 AM »
Doubt I will get to break in the suit on the street unless I wear it from that point until I get help getting it off of me.   :roll:

It's just like peeling a big fat bannana  :-o I'm on my last ditch crash diet so I will be able to get my nomex driving suit on, it fits OK right now..................as long as I don't try to sit down with it on  :wink:
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2009, 01:41:24 AM »
Good lookin RV set-up there John, is the Blue-Bird group gonna be there again this April?

Thanks, that is the old Budweiser promotion bus, that used to be at a lot of the NASCAR races, Super Bowls and other pro football games etc.. check out http://www.pbase.com/image/24977457 it took a lot of work to get that BAR smell out of it   :cheers:

Yes, we will be there down in the high rent district by short shutdown, we have spent a great deal of time cleaning up that area, as it had a lot of nails, screws and other debris, plus lot of weeds, so that we can get everybody that comes parked on pavement, we were very concerned when it started raining in the old spot last April, these 'Birds as we like to call them are very heavy and we were fortunate that nobody got stuck. This will also give back the old area that we were using for an active pit area, to those that need it.

So far we have 15 'Birds signed up, but we will probably have 20 when the time comes. We try to stir up interest on our Wanderlodge Owners Group Forum http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2476 and this seems to help, but with the economy the way it is we aren't expecting much more. We also have our Myrtle Beach Rally the weekend before and expect some of those people to also be at Maxton. Our plan is to come from Myrtle Beach on Wednesday afternoon up to Maxton, so that we can clean up our area some more and then we are going to trim back the branches and weed that line the entrance road, to make it easier to get in and out of, we did this two, or three years ago and it needs it again, plus if we are asked Randy Dupree (#846 F/BGCC Dupree Racing) http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/58688899 and some of the group will probably do the stock class car tech, like they have done in the past.

We will again have volunteers man & woman the chalkboard with the speeds displayed at the short shutdown area on the return road, that is as long as we can keep people doing that chore 

If any you happen to be down in our HOOD, please feel free to drop in and sit for a while we always have good campfire going at night weather permitting and we are just regular folks, if you looked at our forum you notice that all of our members maintain and repair their coaches themselves and we are all gearheads of one type or another and you don't have to own a 'Bird to join our group, we will just refer to you as a S.O.B. owner (some other brand) :lol:
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2009, 07:03:05 PM »
John:

I'm in the process of cleaning out the attic -- and I found a sign-thingie that might work for displaying speeds (alternate to the chalkboard).  It's yours if you'd like it.

White digits on blue plastic, each plastic about a foot tall, and the numbers fit in a slotted wooden piece which has foam "feet".  It was used for displaying the price of used cars in a car lot.  I don't know how many of each number there is -- but what the heck, it might be a help for you.  Thanks for doing the run speeds for the racers - no matter how you do the display.  We all appreciate it (unless I'm running for a record and my speed is a few hundredths too low).
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline iamflagman

• Wild Hare Racing
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2009, 09:04:54 PM »
John:

I'm in the process of cleaning out the attic -- and I found a sign-thingie that might work for displaying speeds (alternate to the chalkboard).  It's yours if you'd like it.

White digits on blue plastic, each plastic about a foot tall, and the numbers fit in a slotted wooden piece which has foam "feet".  It was used for displaying the price of used cars in a car lot.  I don't know how many of each number there is -- but what the heck, it might be a help for you.  Thanks for doing the run speeds for the racers - no matter how you do the display.  We all appreciate it (unless I'm running for a record and my speed is a few hundredths too low).

For a small donation, I can arrange to have them UP THE SPEED a little, so that it will make you happy when you ride by, but then the REST OF THE STORY will await you down the road a piece :roll:

Bring the "sign-thingie" with you and I'll leave it up to whoever is volunteering to do that to make the decision on what they want to use, I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth you know :lol:

We will also be policing the people in our group that ride bicycles.
JOHN FINN
HOPKINS, SC
1984 VW RABBIT GTI
16V SCIROCCO CONVERSION
G/GSS LAND SPEED RACER
SM SCCA TT / AUTOCROSS

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 09:15:50 PM »
The speed posting on the return road is one of the pleasant experiences at the April meet ... keep up the tradition.
Joe

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:34 PM »
John,, see you in few weeks,,, you too Jon,,, you too everyone else....

I like the speed postings on return road.. too very nice touch from the Blue Birds...

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline White Monster

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
20 days to go ...
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2009, 10:06:52 AM »
This morning Nancy and I filled out the medical forms (that we didn't fill out when I sent in the membership dues) and the registrations for a pair of bikes -- and will put 'em in the mail in the morning. 

Yes, we're getting fired up about the approaching race event, too.  See you folks there.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2009, 10:38:10 AM »
Darn it!! I was really hoping that my wife could come to this event, but her guard unit wont let her off for that weekend. I was hoping to get her into this racing as she seems like she would do this. She will be getting a little Kawasaki 250R. Maybe next meet I will have her with me. She weighs all but 105, so she would be a great jockey.

Luckily my brother is able to get leave and come down with me. Atleast it wont be a boring drive down by myself now.

18 days and counting.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2009, 01:13:07 PM »
Slim ... I am rev'd up for April too ... I was going great guns on the new bike but hit a snag with the primary chain adjuster interferring with the frame rail ... If it isn't ready, the 1000cc bike is freshened up and ready ... Plus I have to crew for my brother with his Buell ..... Joe