Author Topic: CALT SPOILER  (Read 13884 times)

Offline MIKE MATY

Re: CALT SPOILER
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 04:16:39 PM »
Their wont be a build diary if I cant get the spoiler thing worked out!!!!!! I'll be sending the rules clarification in tonight when i get home from work so we'll se how it turns out.
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530
2013 Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge Winner

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
Did the spoiler mock up and it got approved by the SCTA here are some picks.

ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 09:35:00 AM »
Just a suggestion and maybe it is what you have planned, but I would start with it flat or even at a slight down slope and have it adjustable.  If you don't need the down force there why create more frontal area and drag with it up?  For us I feel the real advantage of a spoiler is it is a legal place to put two fins (the spill plates on the ends) to help with the center of pressure.  With the shape of that car you are going to have plenty of center of pressure help and maybe the spoiler is totally unneeded.  One other suggestion is that you might want to design the spoiler where if the car does get backwards that it is held on in such a way that it might want to lift up so that it isn't catching so much air when the car is in reverse and might want to fly.

As Porkpie likes to say it isn't so much how you go into the wind, but how you go out of it and that car, sorry, isn't going to go out of it very well at all.  I can't remember why you really want to use it, but the worst mistake any of us can do is use a car or motor just because we have it.  You are going to put a ton of time and money into that car and at the moment might feel that you just want to see how fast "it" will go, but believe me you will be bitten by wanting to be competitive and then you will be starting all over and it will be frustrating, at least it would be for me, that you didn't start with something more competitive.  We are kind of in that place with Hooley's Stude.

Whatever you decide good luck and have fun,

Sum
« Last Edit: February 27, 2009, 09:39:04 AM by Sumner »

Offline MIKE MATY

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 01:04:15 PM »
The original plan for the car was just to have a fun car to run maybe up to 175mph. Thats still kind of is the plan. The engine I have would propel most cars to almost 200mph if not right at it. Im going to see what the aero is like in the wind tunnel and decide how fast I want it to go from their. The ultimate goal would be 200mph but if the aero isnt there then Ill just put the engine in a different car. For now the car is going to be run at maxton to dial it in but it will not be running for a while. The main goal for the rear spoiler isnt downforce it is more to help get the air off and away from the back of the car to help get it through  the air.
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Maxton
A/FRS      205.531
D/FSS      159.427
ECTA 200MPH CLUB Ohio
A/FRS       208.530

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2009, 07:38:25 PM »
Hey, Mike!

Any progress on this Pinto???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!