Author Topic: Sway Bars  (Read 9386 times)

Offline Ezryder

• New folks
Re: Sway Bars
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 12:32:02 AM »
As a crewman on Ed Stuck's #299 B/FR I can tell you that #299 doesn't have any antiroll bars. The rear end is mounted solid, the front axle has the old original style transverse leaf spring with about an inch of travel. #299 has lead weight in the front, middle & rear of the car. the ones at the rear take 2 men & a boy to lift them in. Also in the rear is the water reservoir (about 40 gal.)(do the math). And I think there is lead shot still in the frame rails from when Neilson owned the car. The dry weight is about 4700 lbs.

But, then our speed could be due to the superior aerodynamics of the car  :wink:

Bob Davis

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 12:38:45 AM »
Sounds like you guys are on the right track!

KISS -keep it simple . . .etc.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 01:59:02 AM »
jl222 .......  I will be running the car at Maxton so I think suspension is need there. The car is a flat bottom car and the ride height can be adjusted from 1 inch to 2 inch inch ground clearance. The way I have designed it I can run as soft or as stiff as I need. I can also lock it solid if need. The shocks are gas shocks that require no coil over springs. The ride height, compresion, rebound. and spring rate are adjustable also.

Offline jl222

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 02:35:33 AM »
As a crewman on Ed Stuck's #299 B/FR I can tell you that #299 doesn't have any antiroll bars. The rear end is mounted solid, the front axle has the old original style transverse leaf spring with about an inch of travel. #299 has lead weight in the front, middle & rear of the car. the ones at the rear take 2 men & a boy to lift them in. Also in the rear is the water reservoir (about 40 gal.)(do the math). And I think there is lead shot still in the frame rails from when Neilson owned the car. The dry weight is about 4700 lbs.

But, then our speed could be due to the superior aerodynamics of the car  :wink:

Bob Davis

How did Ed like the ride when the salt was real bad a few years back? I know, my brother Jim was at J and S East Valley Garage when he was there talking about it. Jimmy wished I was there to stick up for suspension.
 I just finished reading about the suspension on the Bloodhound 1000 mph attempt [100mm or 4'' of travel droop and bump.
 Some real insights on why to use suspension.

JL222 :-D

Go to [Thrust powered land speed information] to read about Bloodhound, it's near bottom of topics on home page.they tell all about it, great stuff
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 03:22:05 AM by jl222 »