Author Topic: USFRA 130/150 club chat  (Read 24588 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
.... My only problem is that I don't think we need make a great effort to attract more people to our events as they're overtaxed at present.  Even with 3 courses (if possible) at SW, the wait is getting longer  (I know, I know "we made six runs in 3 hours on Thursday . . .").  El Mirage and Bonneville could go back to what I guess they did before the war -- run the same class in heats.  Probably wouldn't work for the bikes, with an average of 1.3 per class.

Stan

Well Stan when all the old farts are gone is that when LSR should end....  Any sport that does not attract new people dies.... is that what you are looking for... your records will stand forever because no one is racing any more.

I remember waiting all day in the late 70s to the late 80s for one run a day, unless you were fortunate enough to make 2 runs in the morning...  and since you must know the numbers, what is the average of cars per class... 1.4? or less...
But since the club races are at WoS, it shouldn't make any difference to you if it attracts new folks...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #46 on: June 10, 2009, 11:14:46 PM »
I think we should all support all forms of Land Speed Racing   At Bonneville ( SW, USFRA,WOS, Bub etc..) Elmo, Texas, Maxton, Loring... heck any place we can get a mile or more to run a meet.

Some folks comments seem to be counter productive to us being an "inclusive community of racers", using quick little barbs and sarcasm... to each his own,,, but I feel that does not promote the spirit the majority of us would want to project...

But to those of you/us that have dreams to race on the salt,,, keep the faith, finish the builds and see you on the salt or whatever venue you choose..

OK off my soap box now...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Wester

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2009, 12:18:50 PM »
Here's one driver's response to the 130 Club:
http://handsonacamera.org/Tvideo1.html
Her brother did the video as a school project at BYU.

Offline Grant Borman

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2009, 10:51:39 PM »
Anyone know how late you can go before signing up to do the 130 club?  My schedule changed and i can now go. 

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2009, 11:44:25 PM »
I think you can still sign after tech.  You'll LOVE it!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Wester

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2009, 12:59:07 AM »
For the 130 Club you may sign up on the salt.  150 Club is the same price as the regular long course cars.  In other words if you sign up before July 15 you save money but you can sign up on the salt.  There's some racers who wait until after Speedweek to see if they have an engine left or if they can repair what is damaged.  There are several who just wait to run at World of Speed for the cooler temperatures, less expensive and more available rooms in Wendover and just because it's a more laid back, enjoyable meet.  See www.saltflats.com for details.  You can call Ellen or me for help ... our numbers are listed on the site.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:01:51 PM by Wester »

GTO48

« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2009, 06:15:23 AM »
I am planning on entering the 130 this year as a salt virgin and have a few questions for the veterans...

The car: 2005 Pontiac GTO twin turbo.  I'm running relatively low boost (~7psi).  The car made 523 RWHP, and 508 RWTQ on a Dynojet 248 (corrected).  Transmission is a 4 speed automatic with 3.46 rear gears.  The car weighs in at approximately 4000-4100 lbs with me and fuel.  275/35-18's on the rear, 235/45-18's on the front.  I've had the car on the salt twice now, for two Speed Week events as a spectator, but it's so hard to get a feel for what it will really take going 55 mph on and off the salt.

Mainly, my goal here is (obviously) to get in the club...  But more importantly I want to get a feel for how the events are run, what the salt is like at speed etc.  The real plan is to put together a Vintage 4 car at a later date. 

How much power do I realistically need to do this on the salt?  I'm pretty sure I have enough, but if I need to I can dial in a little more.
What do I need to watch out for safety wise?
Can you enter the car more than once with more than one driver?

Thanks for giving the new guys a place to start!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2009, 08:10:09 AM »
MY guess, you probably will spend the first run learning to control wheelspin.  You have plenty of power to do it, traction is always the issue on the salt.  Good luck with your fun, my condolences to your wallet if you decide to build something...
See ya on the salt, we'll be there with the little car...  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2009, 08:45:50 AM »
I wanted to say "you won't make it" - cause it isn't easy. 

I "lucked into it" because my Miata was perfect for it, not because its more car than anyone else or I'm a better driver.

Be safe, have fun, make new friends!  You CAN do it, we'll be rooting for you.  I'll bet there will be some envious folks to congratulate you when/if you do.

Best of luck!

I am planning on entering the 130 this year as a salt virgin and have a few questions for the veterans...

The car: 2005 Pontiac GTO twin turbo.  I'm running relatively low boost (~7psi).  The car made 523 RWHP, and 508 RWTQ on a Dynojet 248 (corrected).  Transmission is a 4 speed automatic with 3.46 rear gears.  The car weighs in at approximately 4000-4100 lbs with me and fuel.  275/35-18's on the rear, 235/45-18's on the front.  I've had the car on the salt twice now, for two Speed Week events as a spectator, but it's so hard to get a feel for what it will really take going 55 mph on and off the salt.

Mainly, my goal here is (obviously) to get in the club...  But more importantly I want to get a feel for how the events are run, what the salt is like at speed etc.  The real plan is to put together a Vintage 4 car at a later date. 

How much power do I realistically need to do this on the salt?  I'm pretty sure I have enough, but if I need to I can dial in a little more.
What do I need to watch out for safety wise?
Can you enter the car more than once with more than one driver?

Thanks for giving the new guys a place to start!
DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2009, 11:58:18 AM »
My guess is that a stock GTO (have one) would go 130.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

GTO48

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2009, 04:14:37 PM »
MY guess, you probably will spend the first run learning to control wheelspin.  You have plenty of power to do it, traction is always the issue on the salt.  Good luck with your fun, my condolences to your wallet if you decide to build something...
See ya on the salt, we'll be there with the little car...  8-)

Wheelspin, yeah... That's going to be a problem.  For SW '08, I tested the waters with BFG KDW's on the rear.  That was an adventure... lol  This year for SW, I had on a set of BFG Super Sport A/S, and the traction was much, much better.  But still, if I really lean on it, the back end tries to pass the front end.

I will definitely be building something.  I've had a knack for building low budget record setters in NHRA Stock Eliminator, and I am hoping to carry that over here.  We'll see though. ;)

GTO48

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2009, 04:16:34 PM »
My guess is that a stock GTO (have one) would go 130.

I think there is a possibility that a stock GTO will be attempting it too.  Just generally chatting with some local car buddies, I found out that they were also considering coming out for the 130 club.  So far, I know a fox body Mustang is already pre-entered, and the GTO is seriously considering it.

Offline Vortech347

• New folks
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »
I'm the fox body guy!

Plan is to run the 130 club to start then if my car tech's out do the 150 next year,  I already have a 6 point rollbar installed and harness's.

The car makes 570rwhp on Methanol but since I can't use it, she's slightly detuned to about 530-540ish.  I'll be running on narrower 235/55/17 tires.  I'm hoping I don't do a mile long burnout.  The car is a 5-speed with 3.55 rear end gears.  It runs low 11's in the 1/4 @ 120-123mph and is primarily setup for road racing/auto-x.

I look foward to meeting everyone and getting some salt time in.