Author Topic: USFRA 130/150 club chat  (Read 24658 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 12:32:25 PM »
It sounds as though you should be thinking about the 150 club. You didn't need all that safty stuff for the 130 club but it sure won't hurt. Now that you have it I think you should shoot higher.

I agree, sounds like a great car.  How about some pictures of it and some of the mods now until we can see it in person in Sept.  :-),

Sum

Offline redcatch

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 01:43:19 PM »
I would love to post pictures. How do I do that. Sorry I am not great with this computer . I know !!!
Bob
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline redcatch

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 02:02:53 PM »
After watching WOS last year and wanting to tech and run three people I decided that 130 would be safer. Three and half days and the lines are shorter. The safety gear is required in open road racing, When there was a conflict I adjusted to the higher standard. Which in most cases was SCTA. Like I posted earlier we did this build with higher speeds in mind. There are old test pilots and bold test pilots but there are no old,bold test pilots. Crawl,walk run. that is the plan.
Thanks
Bob
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 03:55:02 PM »
I would love to post pictures. How do I do that. Sorry I am not great with this computer . I know !!!
Bob

When you post right to the left of the window where you type in your message and a little below it is "Additional Options" .  Click that then there is a small window "Attach:" with the "Browse" to the right of it.  Click on the Browse and find your picture and add it there.  They have to be under 500KB and you can do up to 4 at a time.

See if that works for you,

Sum

Offline redcatch

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 05:47:46 PM »
interior
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline redcatch

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 05:49:26 PM »
bad try again
Bob Cox
Redcatcher Motorsports

ECTA Record Holder
B/GALT

redcatch32@aol.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 06:21:35 PM »
The workmanship looks great,

Sum

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2009, 07:00:38 PM »
As someone who got interested in land speed racing BECAUSE of the existence of the 130 club, I have some comments:

Comparing the run for the 130 club with a record in a class which is in the 130mph range is apples and oranges.  AN "expert" ought to know that.  If that is the prevailing attiude of SCTA, I don't think I need to bother attending speedweek.

Going for a record IS a big deal.  I understand that there is a huge learning curve for someone like me, who is thousands of miles away, to even make an effort at a record.  DO you not think it is a good idea, to attract more interest in the sport, to offer a challenging but achievable means of gaining experience?  That is certainly my goal.  Not to claim a "speed record" but to learn and gain experience on how things are run, safety and tech issues, and just the general etiquette of an event.

A racer is a racer.  Let's not put down  the efforts of those who seek to add to and build up any form of motorsport!
"because plan A never works"

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2009, 07:35:57 PM »
"DO you not think it is a good idea to attract more interest in the sport?"

No

Why?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Wester

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2009, 07:57:54 PM »
Attitudes like Stan's are one of the reasons why World of Speed gets more popular every year.  The enthusiasm at the starting line for the 130 Club is contagious.  Lots of high fives and alternate drivers having a great time.  The sourpusses stay away and that's fine with the folks over at that track.  Fun times are had by all.  There's lots of racers who had their first taste of salt racing in the 130 Club.  They don't bother the "serious" racers on the long course or delay runs on that course so it's a win-win either way..

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:34 PM »
Ask Ed Van Scoy -- a member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club -- about his start in LSR.  It was the 130 Club.  I doubt he's the only one that's moved through the ranks -- and I bet he doesn't have regrets about his journey.

I've never run the 130 Club or the 150 Club.  But if offered a chance to take part -- heck, yes, I'd do it.  Driving/riding on the Salt is something that is unforgettable no matter what the venue/event.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Wester

« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2009, 08:09:42 PM »
An indelible memory is Linda standing over a pile of their luggage as Ed made his 130 Club runs in their new Corvette.

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2009, 08:13:36 PM »
Nice!!!

I plan on running the 130 & 150 clubs with my first trys at racing for myself.  Then Stan won't be so mad at me when I try Speed Week.  I shouldn't be a salt virgin then!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 12:15:12 PM »
I think the 130 and 150 are both great!  My only problem is that I don't think we need make a great effort to attract more people to our events as they're overtaxed at present.  Even with 3 courses (if possible) at SW, the wait is getting longer  (I know, I know "we made six runs in 3 hours on Thursday . . .").  El Mirage and Bonneville could go back to what I guess they did before the war -- run the same class in heats.  Probably wouldn't work for the bikes, with an average of 1.3 per class.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline willieworld

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2009, 12:24:39 PM »
1.3 would work out just right for the sidecar classes                                          willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta