Author Topic: USFRA 130/150 club chat  (Read 24670 times)

saltfever

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« on: February 07, 2009, 04:30:31 PM »
Very few "laymen" understand that you must set a record (or reach a minimum) for entrance into the Two club. Many assume all you have to do is go 200 mph for a hat. The difficulty increases by orders of magnitude when consider the existing record holder applied motivation, money, intelligence, and various talents to set a record. You have to equal and better that effort, which is no small task. Surly Al and the others informed Jessie of the distinction. However, true to typical Hollywood "pandering to the ignorant" the producer choose to not educate but titillate in the usual nauseating manner. The accuracy of any TV episode is as suspect as any Internet posting. Entertainment doesn't require truth only imagination.

Many don't want to go to the trouble, or have the skill, time and money, to enter an SCTA event. That is why the USFRA exists. You can just rent a Corvette and run a number to put a piece of paper on your wall to feel good about yourself. For many the only labor or talent they apply is signing checks. SCTA "paper" stands for an entirely different culture that only a select few understand or enter.

dwarner

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 04:36:23 PM »
This reply would be a good post the the Russ Wicks thread.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:12:01 PM »
Saltfever, let's narrow that comment about the USFRA down a bit.  I treasure my record certificates from them -- just as I do those from SCTA/BNI.  That is -- USFRA rules ARE the SCTA rules, so a record from one of the groups is just as difficult/easy, just as impressive, as from the other.

I presume you're referring to the USFRA's 130 Club and the 150 Club as being less restrictive and easier for the "layman" to earn a certificate.  But from what I've heard and read -- entry to those clubs is not a piece of cake, either!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

saltfever

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »
Come on Jon . . . stop trying to be politically correct. You know exactly what I mean. In the 130 club (or any of the other numbers) you strap on a helmet, climb into your Lincoln, and motor off to the number. How do you compare that to trying to break a 130 mph Vintage 4 banger record or any other SCTA record for that matter! USFRA created the "numbers" club for all the wannabees that want to hang a piece of paper on their wall. I doubt many of the "drivers" know what a left hand thread is or could even fix a flat on their bicycle. I am not disparaging USFRA. They identified a group of people and provided a venue. But as far as a talented mechanical exercise it is not even par with an SCTA "time-only"   :-P

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
Right... so every one of those SCTA record holders and time-only runners wrench on their own vehicles? No jockeys, no ringers, no "pro" pilots, just wrenches that drive/ride. :roll: right.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline jl222

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:46:19 PM »

A timeslip or record from USFRA is just as good as SCTA and last time I qualified for a return run they allowed less time to work on the cars than  SCTA.
   As far as the 130-150 clubs they need the additional income to run their meets.
   We'll all be glad they're there if speedweek gets rained out.

JL222 :-)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 09:47:14 PM »
I stand by my comments -- that the USFRA records parallel the SCTA records in the same classes.  I also restate that the 130 and 150 Clubs are different -- but they are not all that is the USFRA.  Let's not be rude to a club that helped keep the Bonneville Salt Flats from being "taken away" from the racers for lack of activity.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:53:02 PM »
Slim is correct ... for this to continue, we need every entry ... Bikes , cars, BA57's.

Joe

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »
I'm guessing our H/BFL record set at WoS will show up in the scta records.  I like the fact that the USFRA provides a venue for beginners.  I would recommend the WoS to anyone. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline salt27

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »
Come on Jon . . . stop trying to be politically correct. You know exactly what I mean. In the 130 club (or any of the other numbers) you strap on a helmet, climb into your Lincoln, and motor off to the number. How do you compare that to trying to break a 130 mph Vintage 4 banger record or any other SCTA record for that matter! USFRA created the "numbers" club for all the wannabees that want to hang a piece of paper on their wall. I doubt many of the "drivers" know what a left hand thread is or could even fix a flat on their bicycle. I am not disparaging USFRA. They identified a group of people and provided a venue. But as far as a talented mechanical exercise it is not even par with an SCTA "time-only"   :-P

Saltfever,
I suggest you strap on your helmet, climb in your Lincoln and run the 130 and 150 club.
Then you will actually know what you are talking about.
OK now I've got to figure out how to get this left handed nut off so I can change the tire on my bicycle before I go work on the lakester.

Don

Offline isiahstites

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:08:55 AM »
I would recommend the WoS to anyone. 

I was unable to attend Speedweek this year and went to the USFRA meet instead and had a great time and still raced against the same record I would of had I gone to Speedweek..........I see myself going back to the USFRA meet again.

Scott

dwarner

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 11:59:40 AM »
Many like the WoS event. Smaller turnout = shorter lines, cooler weather, I think the hotels are reasonable too. Same records, same certification officers so you know your record is on a par with all SCTA records. Very friendly officials who are glad you are there and want you to enjoy the experience.

I had coversations with some bike people who had run BuB prior to WoS and found the latter meet to be better run and promised to be return in 2009.

DW

bak189

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 12:21:58 PM »
"I had conversations with some bike people who had run BUB prior to WOS and found the latter meet to be better run and promised to return in 2009"  DW.....................................................................

That is great.......the amount of riders for the BUB Meet got to the point that there was talk
in 2008 about putting a restriction on entrees.
With some  racers who prefer the WOS Meet
hopefully will prevent BUB having to restrict
entrees for 2009..........................................................

It looks like there are enough races to keep everybody happy..................................................

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »
I havent been to WOS in a long time but I remember enjoying the cooler weather,available rooms and cheaper. If the price of gas remains reasonable, whatever that means :-o, we are going to run Speedweek and WOS.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

dwarner

USFRA 130/150 club chat
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:06 PM »
Bob,

A couple of years ago the limit entries at Speedweek idea was batted around. Remember the lotto system and other ways to determine who would be allowed to compete? The SCTA decided that everyone who wants to race should be allowed to. I am not sure limiting the entry list is in the best interest of both the organizer and the racer.

DW