Author Topic: 750cc pushrod bike build  (Read 69621 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Re: 750cc pushrod bike build
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
That makes sense to me Jim. I bought the engine on eBay, so who knows how long it sat. The marks are just where they are shown in the picture on one side. The bearing also shows a few pits in the rollers. The race is actually a seperate  piece from the crank pinion shaft, so I am having new inside and outside races installed with a new roller bearing and lap alignment of the outer race. No sense in taking any chances since I want to turn this motor over 8K rpms.

Thanks
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline hitz

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
This is a little remote for this thread but might be useful information for some.

I've noticed that brinneling of some wheel bearings in new cars, trucks motorcycles and construction equipment is common. I believe a most of the damage is caused by transporting the vehicle with the weight on the wheels, tracks or axles. The railroad, lowbeds or unsprung trailers would be probably be the worst offenders.

I bought a new '57 Dodge pickup and had about 100 miles on it when I heard a squeak in a front wheel. I could hear OK then. When I pulled the wheel off I found the wheel bearing had very little grease in it. I also found out it had four thin lines etched into the bearing cup. I inspected the cone and found four rollers with matching lines on them. I pulled the other front wheel off. It had enough grease in it but had the same marks on the bearing. I was a mechanic/welder in construction for over 40 years so I tried to look at the wheel bearings in all of the new equipment when it came to the yard or job site as soon as possible. Probably 90% of them had these same marks if they ran in grease. If they ran in oil they where almost all perfect. I believe the movement of the equipment (jarring) moved the grease out first and then damaged the bearing.

This doesn't only happen to the wheel bearings ,other heavy Assemblies can also be damaged. So if you're going to long haul your race car/bike block it up with the wheels off the trailer floor and make sure the trailer is sprung. Wouldn't hurt to crank the engine up when you stop to eat either. Those roller bearings in the engine are getting the oil beat out of them too.

Boy is this longwinded!

Harvey

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks for the info Harvey. Rotating the crank on a long road trip, is probably a good idea  :cheers:
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline sabat

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 09:00:09 AM »
That sounded dirty Rchop.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »
 :-D :-D :-D
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 12:13:26 PM »
What is Brinneling??
Bruising ,Marking the bearing surface?
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 04:08:02 PM »
What is Brinneling??
Bruising ,Marking the bearing surface?

Here is the definition of Brinelling...
Brinelling refers to a material surface failure caused by contact stress that exceeds the material limit. This failure is caused by just one application of a load great enough to exceed the material limit. The result is a permanent dent or "brinell" mark.

What we have on my engine is a case of "False Brinelling"...

False brinelling is damage caused by fretting, with or without corrosion, that causes imprints that look similar to brinelling, but are caused by a different mechanism.

The basic cause of false brinelling is that lubricant is pushed out of a loaded region. Without lubricant, wear is increased. It is possible for the resulting wear debris to oxidize and form an abrasive compound which further accelerates wear.

www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 02:06:28 PM »
Cool got it
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 12:19:48 PM »
The seating position has been determined and now I'm mocking up the fuel tank that will be mounted behind the rider...

http://www.frsengineering.com/pp55.jpg
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »
The seating position has been determined and now I'm mocking up the fuel tank that will be mounted behind the rider...

http://www.frsengineering.com/pp55.jpg

Gas tank?  Looks like you need an extension cord for that motor!   :-D

Looking good, keep up the build dairy!   :cheers:

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
LOL, just wait till you see the battery :-D
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 01:23:44 PM »
get the knees in Randy, they are hanging out past the fairing..... surly your boys haven't needed to get that large already....  :roll:
I thought the beemer was easy to ride.....   :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2009, 02:17:01 PM »
Before you finalize your riding position, make sure it works with leathers and helmet. I set mine up wearing jeans and got a big surprise when I got to the starting line and couldn't get my feet on the pegs!
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2009, 02:44:38 PM »
get the knees in Randy, they are hanging out past the fairing..... surly your boys haven't needed to get that large already....  :roll:
I thought the beemer was easy to ride.....   :-D

I actually cut and re-formed the rear of the frame to get my knees in Bob. I'll post a pic of the area tonight when my wife gives me back the high-speed modem  :wink:

Before you finalize your riding position, make sure it works with leathers and helmet. I set mine up wearing jeans and got a big surprise when I got to the starting line and couldn't get my feet on the pegs!

I have tried the position with the leathers and helmet on Tom, but I'm not posting a pic of it...I'll never hear the end of it :roll: LOL
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
Randy, Randy, oh Randy silly boy what are ya doing.?.... why ya putting the fuel tank back there? have ya ever rode a fat chick on the back of a bike?  The fuel load, even considering it is a dissipating weight, should not be that high and especially back that far back... you should mount your light weight electronics back there... and put the tank where it belongs....
love ya
Kent