Author Topic: BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!!!  (Read 5166 times)

Offline MAZDA1807

BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!!!
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:15:27 PM »
I would like to thank everyone on this site especially those who owned it and those who kept it going.  It is the best thing for the LSR community for people who want answers, want to help, or just want to talk.
                                                                 Peter
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: BEST WEBSITE EVER!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 12:38:37 PM »
I guess it's up to me to thank you for the kind words, Peter.  I bought it from Jon Amo a little less than a year ago, and he started it in '97 -- so it's had over a decade to grow and mature and entertain and inform.

And in case you - or anyone reading this -- cares to do so, don't forget there's a donation button on the lower-left of the front page where you can find out how to send $$ to help keep the site running.  I've got one or two or so paying advertisers -- but most of the funding that pays for the internet space and the technical support needed to keep things running - comes from donations.  Thanks to one and all that have helped me keep the site running and out of the poorhouse.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
I decided that the title for this topic would be a good one for the message I'm putting forth.

Donations to this site are welcome, folks, and the main source of income.  I've been able to keep the site running using just the money that's come in as donations - to pay for a professional guy to babysit the website itself, and to use a bigger and better hosting company (Jon Amo steered the site there during the transition from him to me owning it).  The costs are quite a bit higher than what I expect to pay when I bought it -- but it's still a "self-liquidating-operation", by and large, and that's good.

But I've finally got some advertising started.  Ads generate income, of course -- but they'll only do that if someone visits the advertisers store and maybe even buys something.  And that's what I'm gonna ask you to do.  Visit the advertisers.

Right now we've got only Tiger Racing running an ad.  I've got rid of the old advertisers that were still running here (based on having bought or signed up or just been put on here in the past) and will put up new ads as the businesses decide to give this site a try.  Would you folks be so kind, therefore, to help me -- and the site -- by going to the advertisers and at least shopping there?  Maybe you'll find something you are planning to get.  Buy it if you can!  Maybe you'll see something you didn't know that advertiser sold -- and then you'll at least know where to get it when you need it.  Go to the site, call the phone number, write to the mailing address -- but let the advertiser know that you're there because you saw his ad on landracing.com.

The income I get from the ads isn't going to replace the cash I need to keep the site running, especially since I don't want to clutter the site with more than a few ads.  I'll do what I can to keep 'em simple - not too flashy, not too much "in your frickin' face!", but rather a nice way to help you find stuff you might need anyway.

Shop the advertisers, hey?

Another point about income to the site -- is that if you send me donations -- I'll send you swag.  A $29 donation will get you a couple of landracing.com bumper stickers, and a $50 donation will get you a landracing.com t-shirt.  Bigger donations -- might just equal more swag.  We're coming up with another new thank you gift/fund-raiser -- and they'll be available within a month or so.  Stay tuned -- and in the meantime, visit Tiger Racing and any other advertiser you see here, please.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:22:48 PM »
All you motorcycle racers take a look at Tigers products, if you havent already, Everything he makes is first class, fit and finish is great. Not only that but Guy is a hardcore LSR racer. For you car and bike racers he has a new laptop table.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline dickj

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 05:01:22 PM »
Jon, let me second that - - you've done a great job with this site.  I think we'd all be lost without it. 

One thought that might improve it a little.  Is there a way to move old stuff to some sort of archive or to a folder that's marked 2008, 2009, 2010, etc. 

For instance, now that Loring is over with and all the hooplah has died down, pretty soon the posts for 2010 Loring will start, and they will get buried amongst a bunch of old stuff.  Same goes for Speedweek, BUB, Texas Mile, etc.  Those are annual events that get hyped up, then die down, only to fire up again for the next year.

DickJ
In East Texas

Keep up the good work!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
Dick --

Thanks for your good input.  First of all comes my disclaimer -- that Nancy and I are on "vacation", going to five LSR events at Bonneville, and therefore not doing much routine work on the basics of the site itself.  Things like cleaning up old copy, creating archives -- things that'll make the site more germaine to the daily topics yet allow researching the past stuff.

I'll be very glad to hear from one and all about your best ideas on how to make landracing.com more to your liking.  I won't necessarily do what you suggest -- but I'll certainly get some ideas and concepts.

List them here, if you'd like, and also think about emailing them directly to me so I can't miss 'em.

We'll be back at Bonneville this weekend to provide coverage for World of Speed - and to have Nancy take a shot at upping the P/P 1650 record to something over 205.  That effort will keep us a bit busy -- but I presume we'll still manage to find time to post updates and photos.  RayBuck'll be there to take pictures -- and I'll put them into the Gallery.

Best regards to all from Nancy and Jon, spending the night in Taos, NM.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
you HAVE to have breakfast at MICHAEL"S
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 10:41:41 AM »
Too late, Sparky == the crack-whore motel where we stayed offered stale cold coffee and plastic-wrapped donuts for breakfast -- for only a $6 surcharge (each) -- so we took advantage of that great offer and ate here instead of braving the wilds of Taos to have breakfast.

Last night we did some shopping in the Plaza -- have a few dollars remaining, so now we're leaving the motel, going to shop and to the Pueblo, then on to Denver to see Nancy's son, then tomorrow to Yellowstone (haven't been there in five years or so, so thought we'd see how many of the hot pots and gysers have changec). and from there -- maybe another dumpy towon with smelly bars and cockroach-infested motels.  Hey -- we're on vacation!

See you on the Salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com