Author Topic: I need this!!  (Read 2538 times)

dwarner

I need this!!
« on: February 14, 2009, 07:54:35 PM »
While surfing the net I have Speed Channel on in the backround. The Speed Report is the program on now. There was a piece on the Smoke(Tony Stewart) and AJ Foyt relationship. A decal on the lower rear fender, behind the rear tire on #14 says "Heros drive us - AJ Foyt"

I have a father and son story about AJ Foyt at Indy, 1958 and my second son is known as AJ.

If anyone is interested, the Chili Bowl is on next.

DW

Offline Jerry O

Re: I need this!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 10:08:13 PM »
DW

I think Tony Stewart and AJ are a perfect match. Those two guys are so much alike it hurts. They both worked there way through racing about the same way just different times. I know a lot of people don't like either one but I truly like how they race. Both are real race car drivers. A little story about AJ. Back when I worked on the Penske Indy car team, we were at a race in NJ. I was walking to the pits from our transporter and was going by a entrance gate and heard a lot of commotion going on. I looked over to where the gate was and here was AJ trying to get past a security worker. The guard would not let AJ past because he did not have a pass. Well you know AJ ( he don't need no stinkin pass). This went on for a couple minutes when all of a sudden AJ just punched the guy right between the head lights. This knocked the guy back a little but did not stop him so AJ hit him again. Needless to say, AJ came in . I later seen the local police at AJ's transporter having a long talk with him. Never did find out what they did to him for punching the guard. I think you need a little drama in racing every now and then and AJ was good to give you some. So does Tony.

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »
Smoke and AJ  :cheers:

AJ and Ari  :?

Since Daytona 2001 I moved my alligence to Smoke. Jr. doesn't do it for me. My next door neighbor will stand by Jr., even though Bud is gone.

DW

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 11:04:39 PM »
Okay Dan, it's storytime for all us little kiddies!!  Share!!!

Lynda

(and if i was to pick a driver i think i'd pick...ummmmm..mark martin!)
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
I'm with you DW. I like the way Smoke handles himself. What you see is what you get from him. He tells it like it is.  I don't have anything against Jr, just not a big fan. I was more of a fan of his dad. I guess I like to see guys that come up the hard way and earns what they get. Mark Martin is also one of my favorites. Would like to see him win a championship before he retires.

Offline AJR192

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 12:07:04 AM »
I met AJ with my dad at Bonneville when he ran Dee Howards Pierce Arrow. No nonsense about him and no wasted time, either. When it was determined that the head gasket had blown on the Pierce and Mr. Howard wasn't about to put a band aid fix on his one of a kind engine, Foyt said "lets get on the plane, I want to get home and get back on my tractor." I guess he was cutting into his farm chores to run a car at WOS. Got my picture taken with him and a handshake. He has hands like a pitcher's mitt. Another good memory from the salt.........

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:56:31 AM »
OK, for you Lynda-

My Dad was in the race car business, building engines for both street and track. In 1953/54 he had a customer who tried to qualify a car with one of his engines. First alternate one year, don't recall the other attempt.

Anyway, 1958 and I'm doing real good in school and my Dad has to go to Indy for some reason. He takes me out of school for a week so that I can see the big cars. We had been going to a lot of sprint car races in the Los Angeles area because of his customers.

We are in the garage, all over the place. He had a lot of contacts from across the country. 1958 is the first year they let AJ in the fence and his first attempt to make the show. We watch him all week, in the end my Dad said "Follow this kid close - he will be something". We all know how that played out.

A lasting father and son racing memory.

DW

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 10:43:58 AM »
Gosh!!  What a terrific memory Dan!!  Thank you for sharing such a special time!!

Okay, who's next?  Come on....don't be shy!  Step right up to the mic and let us hear your special memory!  No we won't think it's silly, but we will probably absorb your special memory into our own hearts, so you've got to be willing to share!  Come on.... don't make me beg....okay....  :roll:  Please!!!  :-)

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 01:11:10 PM »
I feel sorry for all the youngsters that didn't have a chance to see AJ during his prime. His driving record speaks for itself.

I watched him run at Ontario Motor Speedway in the early 70's. The race I watched was one of the first to use a scoring transponder. During the race AJ was convinced the transponder was causing his engine difficulties.

What did he do? In typical AJ fashion, he came into the pits, climbed out of the car and went over the pit wall. He came back with a hammer and beat the transponder off the car, climbed back in and took off.

Played hell with the timing and scoring.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.