Author Topic: protection Cage Pipe dimension  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Billqvist

• New folks
protection Cage Pipe dimension
« on: February 14, 2009, 01:15:45 PM »
Hello,

We are a Swedish team preparing to participate in speed competition at Bonneville 2010 with a Drop tank. We have couple of questions where we hope to get some answers.

1. What is the smallest size/dimension on the pipes we can use for the pipedesign and protection cage?

2. Is there a vintage class? Our Drop Tank is from 1955-59 and we try to use engine and parts from that time period.

Look forward to participate 2010.

Regards,

Swedish Drop Tank guys

it´s now or never...

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: protection Cage Pipe dimension
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 01:21:09 PM »
OK I,ll be the first to tell you, get a rule book ASAP, read it 47 times, keep it in your back pocket at all times, dont leave home without it. Im a bike guy so I cant answer your question, but seriously you do need to get a rule book.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 01:24:49 PM »
SDT Guys;

I think the best thing for you to do is get a rule book-- it covers the roll cage tubing requirements as well as all the other requirements you will need to meet in order to pass tech inspection and run at Bonneville. It would be a big disappointment to bring your car all the way from Sweden only to find out that you could not run it there.

Regards,  Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

dwarner

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »
The basic simple amswer is the cage tubing must be a minimum of 1 5/8" x .120" wall. Without knowing the engine you plan to use the other safety equipment required is difficult to itemize. There is no vintage body class for belly tanks, only vintage engine classes. You will racing against other tanks and rear engine dragster like confurations.

You can ask questions here, many build diaries available. The HAMB message board at www.jalopyjournal.com is a good place to go. There are many traditional guys building tanks there too. On that message board are many European/Sweden and other country builders.

The Australian Belly Tank thread on this list will be of great help.

The 2009 SCTA rulebooks will availbale around March 1st. You can order a book, everyone will recommend several, from sales@scta-bni.org.

Good luck with you project, I hope to see you on the salt in 2010.

DW

Offline Billqvist

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 03:56:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice related to the rule book. We will make sure we know the rules inside out before coming to the Salt in.

Regards,
Glenn
it´s now or never...

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 06:29:06 PM »
WOW!

My typing and spelling goes all to hell when I try to beat someone to a post.

DW