Author Topic: LSR Bike #1? Acquired - Few Questions  (Read 11600 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: LSR Bike #1? Acquired - Few Questions
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
There are a lot of trailer deals in NC and Ga ... Joe

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
If you are not going too far or hauling too much Harbor Freight has a fold up trailer, might be a good interim solution
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154&Submit=Go

I know someone that used one to haul a bike 700 miles to Bonneville for several years.... not me, I've never lived that close...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:22 PM »
I picked up a 4x6 light utility trailer from tractor supply.  Modifying it a bit with a detachable condor chock extending about a foot up the tongue.  I plan to use a seperate board with mount for the chock on the ground.  May pull off the mesh floor and mount a channel for the bike with some flooring and small boxes as needed.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2009, 10:29:25 PM »
I haul the bike 2500 miles to Bonneville ... I was financially embarrassed for 2 months after this year from the fuel cost ... looks a lot better this year coming costwise ... Joe

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 09:54:44 AM »
I use a very simple pingle kill switch that is easily activated from just about any direction. This type is used on a lot of dirt bikes (where I first found it) and is cheap and simple enough to keep an extra on hand if needed (about $20 each) Comes in normally open contacts or closed, whichever is needed. The top rubber cover pops off when pulled which lets the spring loaded button rise up.

some of the internals on the pictured switch are sensitive to   any    movement by the red cap.
spend the money on a good aluminum pingel switch.

and if the cheapo fails: pingel will tell you to contact its' distributor. emgo was very obliging
in taking it back. thanks jp ( no longer w/ emgo).see jp running or volunteering at bub.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
when i was wrenching for a living, when a dead bike came in with one of those Chinese switches, the usually fix was replacing that switch... if you are using one Randy switch the switch! I use the MPS of FBG switches
Kent

Offline Cole222

• Recluse Holster
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2009, 04:34:17 PM »
For a trailer you might look for a used jet ski or small boat trailer. I found one on Craigslist for $200, put another $400 into mterials along with some sweet equity and have a trailer that I can use a ramp or tilt to load. It also has flip up floor boards so that I can work on the bike.

Floor boards out of 2 x 12's and the front air deflector from 1/2" plywood with storage place.

Pulled into tech and had a place in the shade to work.
If you find a single jet ski trailer with the long tongue you might even be able to haul it behind that Miata.
Cole
"Form and function are the opposite sides of the same coin." R Reagan

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2009, 07:04:32 PM »
You've been reading my mind.  I have been debating pulling up the mesh and installing a rail and keeping the floor open except for a small box and jug carrier.  Could make life nice for working on the bike.  Maybe leave a gap in the rail where a jack could be used...  If I put a canopy over it that will free up the area under the awing of the camper at Maxton.  Hoping to tow behind the Miata to Maxton which seems doable since most of my stuff is there in the camper.  Not sure I could tow/carry all that is needed to the flats over the rockies with the Miata but you never know.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2009, 07:41:43 PM »
some of the internals on the pictured switch are sensitive to   any    movement by the red cap.
spend the money on a good aluminum pingel switch.
and if the cheapo fails: pingel will tell you to contact its' distributor. emgo was very obliging
in taking it back. thanks jp ( no longer w/ emgo).see jp running or volunteering at bub.
franey
when i was wrenching for a living, when a dead bike came in with one of those Chinese switches, the usually fix was replacing that switch... if you are using one Randy switch the switch! I use the MPS of FBG switches
Kent

Money wasn't a real issue with the choice of the switch. I decided on that type because it was easily activated from pull on the the front, back and sides. I used it for two years with no problems. Do the MPS or FBG switches activate easily from other directions, or are they directional?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 09:30:16 AM »
  the pingel will (de-)activate from 360 degrees but the plunger needs to be pretty much in a vertical plane to release pin cleanly. pix are on web w/ diff. styles.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »
  the pingel will (de-)activate from 360 degrees but the plunger needs to be pretty much in a vertical plane to release pin cleanly. pix are on web w/ diff. styles.

franey

Thanks for the info franey, I was thinking about it and realized running the normally open switch would cause a lot less problems than running a normally closed since the only time the contact is made is when the switch is activated. Since I'm going to a NC switch, I should probably go to a better made switch as recommended above.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline RansomT

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
I LSR both cars and bikes.  I started with cars, then added the bikes and I can tell you that on the bikes it's what you wear that you have to get right.  I'd wait until the rulebook comes, then concentrate first on the leathers/helmet and then the safety stuff for the bike.

Speaking of trailers, look for a good used one.  Several years ago I found one for my Busa that a fellow had outgrown.  He was racing 2 bikes (Busa and 1K) and wanted to race 3.  Cost me $1200. I've put about 20K miles on it since.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »
Working both sides of the fence.  Picked up a Revit Silica 1 piece suit that is illegal for SCTA, due to perfs and stretch panels, but such is life.  It fit very well and seems well built.  Was nice that the Ducati shop stocks some to try them on as well.

Offline Commuta_Busa

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 01:55:53 PM »
I used pieces of a kill switch from fastbygast. I just stuck it into an open spot on the bike.

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 04:09:10 PM »
Milton, your new suit is legal for the BUB Trials...
However, you will need another one for SCTA/BNI