Author Topic: Front mount blower  (Read 27216 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Front mount blower
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:27:01 PM »
DrofRockology mentioned front mount blowers in another post... I was wondering who it is that is producing it? Is it just for Chevy/Ford/Mopar, or is there a "Universal" mount available?
Am I asking too many questions?

Smitty :cheers:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Re: Front mount blower
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »
These guys  http://www.thesuperchargerstore.com/ make a set up to run a Procharger off the front.  If you wanted to run a conversational style blower on the front it wouldn't be that hard to fab up something.  I built one for my GMC 6 and couldn't fit everything in my roadster the way I wanted, so I went with a reverse rotation Procharger instead.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:05:48 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline smitty2

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:48:47 PM »
Thanks Mag.. those are some sweet set ups.
I have a 4-71 that I have rebuilt, and was hoping to mount it in front of a Chevy 153 inch Banger. Since I'm on a starvation budget at this time I believe I'll end up machining something up in the garage. I'm open for suggestions :-D

Thanks... Smitty

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 06:09:27 PM »
"Potvin" front blower drive ... havent been manufactured for quite awhile ... check ebay or surf the web for old racing equipment ... JD

Offline maguromic

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
Smitty, You could run a bellt drive or a Lovejoy connector http://www.lovejoy-inc.com/ and then fab up a housing around it.  Also Steve at uncommon engineering  http://www.uncommonengineering.com/index.html  (about half way down their is a picture of a 471 on the front of a flat head Ford) has a coupler he made for a 471 to flat head Ford.  Try giving him a call and see if he has coupler for your application.

Tony
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 06:15:37 PM by maguromic »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:20:13 PM »
Tom Cobbs also made some front mount supercharger stuff. I own one of his units for a small block chevy.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 08:20:32 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline smitty2

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:10:57 PM »
Potvin! that's the name I was trying to recall. The Mooneyes rail has a Potvin front mount. I was looking at Marlo's Streamliner awhile back, and it seemed to me that his was a belt drive arrangement... pretty slick setup. I will look at EBAY and see if someone has a setup that will work for this... If not I'm kind of looking forward to a fabrication project :-D

Thanks....  Smitty

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 09:08:46 PM »
Moon Equipment may be able to assist with Potvin drive equipment.

Joe

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:20:03 PM »
Come on guys! You have a shaft that needs to be turned ,the blower, and one that is turning, the engine, any of us with any level of fab ability can make that happen. I would probably go with standard blower pulleys and toothed "rope" to drive it. Lay the blower on its side, I'm talking 4-71, 6-71 etc GMC style roots blower here, with the inlet on one side and the out let on the other and I think that the biggest fab challenge is making a good plenum between the blower and the engine. Important to get the air slowed down and going in the direction of the inlet ports so I would do some sort of turning vanes internal to the plenum and I would make it BIG with lots of volume to get max pressure, evenly distributed to all cylinders.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline maguromic

Offline jl222

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 12:21:22 AM »
Come on guys! You have a shaft that needs to be turned ,the blower, and one that is turning, the engine, any of us with any level of fab ability can make that happen. I would probably go with standard blower pulleys and toothed "rope" to drive it. Lay the blower on its side, I'm talking 4-71, 6-71 etc GMC style roots blower here, with the inlet on one side and the out let on the other and I think that the biggest fab challenge is making a good plenum between the blower and the engine. Important to get the air slowed down and going in the direction of the inlet ports so I would do some sort of turning vanes internal to the plenum and I would make it BIG with lots of volume to get max pressure, evenly distributed to all cylinders.

Rex

I've seen fotos but never seen how, if you just placed the front of the blower to the front of the crank it would be turning backwards so they do something to drive off the rear of the blower??

Ken Walkey had a 671 style front drive on his chev streamliner, try talking to him. I always thought a front drive on a roots blower would be a good idea and if running gas you could plumb in an intercooler.
  But i would never run a roots blower on gas.

JL222

« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 12:37:28 AM by jl222 »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »

I've seen fotos but never seen how, if you just placed the front of the blower to the front of the crank it would be turning backwards so they do something to drive off the rear of the blower??

JL222

John,

If you look at the front of a GMC blower all belt drives come off the right hand rotor. When you use it as a front mount you use the left rotor to drive the blower. Since GMC blowers just use two gears to turn the blower rotors one gear turns clockwise the other turns counter clockwise. Hope that helps.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »
Tom, that Hot Rod pic is just TOO EFFING NEAT!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline hitz

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 11:23:46 PM »
That's beautiful but no aftercooler! Does the car have a radiator?

Harv

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2009, 11:58:52 PM »
The picture came off the internet so I really don't know if it has cooling or not.

I have a front mount for one of my Desoto's. I really want to put it into a track style 27 Ford T Roadster. I always thought it would be cool to have a long nose with the hood hinged in the front. Just for looks put a 14-71 Hi Helix on the front with electronic FI, and a set of Howard's Aluminum Desoto Heads. 

Tom G.