Author Topic: racing and hanging with jack lufkin  (Read 19058 times)

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
racing and hanging with jack lufkin
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:20:28 PM »
with all the talk about jack lufkin in the past few days, inspired by freud's great pic of jack's kurtis at the one-mile and steve thomson joining the group, i thought i'd post a few stories about my experiences with jack.

gregory w. gillette
aka: monty wolf (not monte wolfe)

"fear is never boring!"

read all about it: http://montywolf.blogspot.com/

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
Re: racing and hanging with jack lufkin
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »
it was always a treat to visit jack at ak’s garage!

besides jack always sending me home with something cool (hilborn injection; “trick” ford heads; knowledge) we usually left the shop to get coffee or lunch at a coffee shop on rosemead blvd., across from ford (the kopper kettle??).

now coffee and/or lunch in and of itself wasn’t all that exciting.

what was exciting, however, was the full throttle ride there and back.

jack would grab the hottest car in the shop at the time (there was always some kind of semi-hot rodded or fully-hot rodded car to choose from: dozens of turbo’d pintos/pangras, street rods and you name it.

the most thrilling ride i ever took with jack was in a toyota land cruiser with a 350 chevy stuffed into it.  we only hit 80ish on the way there, but we were taking up both lanes as we raced from curb to curb.

the most memorable was when carroll shelby had his pantera at ak’s to see if they could stuff a turbo in the engine compartment and i got tossed the keys!  not wanting to be the guy to crash carroll shelby's pantera, that was probably the most sedate ride we ever took.

the scariest ride i ever took was on the back of jerry spotts’ turbo’d 750 honda.  we were riding through the little strip mall across from the shop when jerry pulled the front wheel off of the ground to impress some chick.  only jerry didn’t tell me he was going to do it.  i fell back, my legs caught under jerry’s arms and i was able to pull myself up before i fell off.

but, riding to bonneville with jack was an experience not to be missed.

to be continued
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 05:28:38 PM »
Dang!!  I hate commercial breaks!!  :x :x :roll:

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Dang!!  I hate commercial breaks!!  :x :x :roll:

i forgot the commercial (boy, there's a performance anxiety dream).

and now a word from our sponsor: http://www.looperman.com/tracks_detail.php?tid=6983
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 06:23:45 PM »
What is wrong with this BLEEPIN ... CENSORED.... remote control?  No fast forward...Cheap crap...where's the "Rest of the Story?"

Patience-my a*s-I'm-gonna-go-out-and-kill-something-Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 06:27:06 PM »
What is wrong with this BLEEPIN ... CENSORED.... remote control?  No fast forward...Cheap crap...where's the "Rest of the Story?"

Patience-my a*s-I'm-gonna-go-out-and-kill-something-Lynda

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

i'm working on the next installment: the road to bonneville.

but, i put my upper back out and typing is not all the fun right now.

there will be more.

how 'bout another commercial? :mrgreen:
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 06:51:37 PM »
I hate...wait a minute, some commercials are really funny...okay,  :| guess another commercial break is okay.  But, you need to get a better chair or get some better medication for that back!!!

Installments suck-Lynda

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 07:03:14 PM »
I hate...wait a minute, some commercials are really funny...okay,  :| guess another commercial break is okay.  But, you need to get a better chair or get some better medication for that back!!!

Installments suck-Lynda

i think the commercial's content proves medication isn't what's needed. 8-)

and while we wait for our second rate writer to finish his next installment, here's another word from our sponsor's at mebbin's big house bail bonds.

http://www.looperman.com/tracks_detail.php?tid=6984

ain't that right about?!?!
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »
While looking for the photos of the MMIII - I happened on this shot of the impatient lady:

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 08:44:40 PM »
i can’t remember what year it was, ’72, ’73, i took my first trip to bonneville in the company of jack lufkin.

jack stopped off in west covina to pick me up on the way.  we were in a caravan with several others from jack’s crew and ak miller’s garage.

as with any sane person leaving socal to travel into the mojave desert in late august we left in the early evening.

we made our first stop in barstow for dinner.

before i go any further i need to explain that jack almost couldn’t make it to bonneville that year due to a health issue.  at the last minute he was given medical approval to go racing.

after leaving barstow and gaining a few miles under our wheels jack realized that he left his meds sitting on the table in the coffee shop.

we turned around, but the busboy swept the table clean and tossed out all of jack’s meds.

the manager sent the busboy dumpster diving, the poor guy.

after about 20-minutes he came up for air with two of them but not the most important 3rd prescription.

fortunately, jack said he had a solution.

we continued our trek stopping at the rest area coming down the eastern side of the baker grade.  jack and i were the only ones to not get any sleep as we wandered about the rest area trying to not think about bonneville while everyone else napped.

eventually, we pulled into las vegas where the time/temp sign on the mint announced that it was 3:00 am and 102 degrees.

after reaching u.s. 93, as the sun arose, we came upon a lone white wild mustang that insisted on racing us.  guess he didn’t know he was choosing-off jack.

we slowed down to watch the beautiful creature until he veered away from us with his mane and tail trailing behind him like yarn taped to a roof and truck.

breakfast at the old chevron station in alamo was accompanied by a phone call to dr. nathan ostich (yeah, that guy) so he could phone a replacement prescription into ely and a quick exploration of the dump across the highway for artifacts and we were on our way.

after jack booked us rooms at the old motel on the corner of u.s. 50 and u.s. 93 we headed over to the rexall.

after speaking with the pharmacist we walked over to the hotel nevada for a bite.  on the way out jack stopped off at the crap table.

now, the only thing i know about craps is: jack lufkin knows all there is to know about craps!

he tossed the dice 3 or 4 times, grabbed up his tokes and said, “let’s go!”

“don’t you want to play some more?” i asked.

“i just won $500!” he pronounced with a laugh.

we walked back over to the rexall where jack treated me to my first ever black and white ice cream soda.  it was like my first day of life.

back to the motel; jack went to bed and i pulled the cover off of the car to “polish” it.

within minutes one of the local young ladies stopped to see the pretty car.

i got back in time the next morning to meet jack in the parking lot as the sun was coming up.

no sleep and we were off for breakfast where i learned that jack returned to the hotel nevada after a nap to thoroughly clean their clocks.

several other stops along the way at various sites to hunt for artifacts and we were in wendover.

now, jack lufkin is a first class kinda-guy.

when you pit for jack he pays for your room, your gas to get there and the compulsory crew breakfast every morning; chances are he is also going to buy your dinner, but dinner is not compulsory.

finally, we are on the salt and the pit is erected.

jack, besides being a first class kinda-guy, loves a good laugh, especially at those who might be considered thorns in his side:

one of the things that jack was most proud of about his bosch fuel injection was that it was chokable and it could be started without priming, outboard starter or any other antics or acrobatics.

jack got in the car, fired it up and idled it through the pits while i followed on my brother’s mini-motorcycle.  when he reached a particular board member’s pit he clicked it off, allegedly, to talk to me and then re-fired up the chevy, put it in gear and idled it away from the studebaker.

in its day, there was no car as sanitary as jack’s kurtis, except maybe bob herda’s streamliner before… well… before.

it looked like the space shuttle underneath those body panels; everything was clean and everything was done right!

when i bought the ranchero from craig lund jack warned me that if he saw any sheet metal screws on it he was going to come over and take them all out.

the tonneau cover was fastened to the sidewalls with sheet metal screws.

we made a new anodized aluminum cover and used dzus fasteners before jack could come over and do his refining.

whew!!

to be continued
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:09:37 PM »
Gee, I guess I should quit complaining about commercial breaks.  :-D Really enjoyed the story.....grumble, grumble...okay, so the commercials weren't bad either.  Thank you so much for sharing!  Oh, and Jon...you coulda kept that picture lost!  Although, it is a good picture of Tip!  :-D

So anyway, I hope you will share some more memories with us....    :cheers:  :cheers:

withoutcommercialslynda   :evil:

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 12:08:23 PM »
Gee, I guess I should quit complaining about commercial breaks.  :-D Really enjoyed the story.....grumble, grumble...okay, so the commercials weren't bad either.  Thank you so much for sharing!

you're welcome!

and thank you!

but, there is one more commercial and mebbin just told me it's his best effort yet: "mebbin's house of conception".

http://www.looperman.com/tracks_detail.php?tid=6985

like mebbin say: "ain't that right about?!?!?!"
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline DrofRockology

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 01:52:23 PM »
with the daytona 500 going on today i keep reflecting about jack speculating about what the kurtis might do at talladega in an attempt for the closed course record.

he was talking about the using the same body he used at bonneville with much wider fender pods to accommodate the tires needed.

finding room for the gas tank would have been the real challenge: almost every square inch under the body was already taken up by something.

besides a fuel tank there was an oil tank for the dry sump, water tank for the cooling system, water tank for the water injection, water tank for the intercooler and i’m sure i’m leaving something out (was there a separate oil tank and system for the turbos?  that sounds like jack!).

of course, there was also two big air research turbos, dry sump pump (you know? i think it did have an isolated oil system off of the sump pump for the turbos), bosch mechanical timed fuel injection and its drive wrapped tightly around the big block chevy.

the car was so tight the driver sat on the far left of the cockpit (remember: sports racing required a passenger seat; headlights; brake lights; horn), but the throttle was way over where the, alleged, passenger’s knees would, allegedly, be.  if i remember correctly, the driver’s head had to remain in front of the rear axle, so the seat was laid-back as far, and as low as possible in the limited space.

interesting idea to run a lsr car at talladega with ray evernham poised to come to bonneville 35-years later with doug herbert.

unfortunately, we’ll never know what kind of speeds we would have seen if jack had run the car on the high banks of the world’s fastest superspeedway.

image courtesy of freud
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:07:08 PM by DrofRockology »
gregory w. gillette

"fear is never boring!"

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 02:13:35 PM »
another commercial break please? maybe Mebbin has an idea of how to extract a driving shoe out of blow birds behind! i might need the info for speedweek... If you could at least forward Mebbins bail bonds phone number.!.....
Kent
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 02:18:03 PM by 1212FBGS »