Author Topic: Class?  (Read 3006 times)

Offline ray321

• New folks
Class?
« on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »
 2007 Chevy cobalt coupe with a 2.0 liter supercharged engine street legal and all stock. Is G/PS seem like the right class for this car?

Offline jb2

Re: Class?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 11:17:32 AM »
Sounds right to me.  they did offer a supercharged 4 cyl.  No exterior modifications that weren't offered by oem.  meaning you CAN use oem offered.  not sure which rear wing would work the best at speed. 

Get a rule book and make sure you understand what you can do, can't do, and have to do.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:09:18 PM »
Sounds right to me.  they did offer a supercharged 4 cyl.  No exterior modifications that weren't offered by oem.  meaning you CAN use oem offered.  not sure which rear wing would work the best at speed. 

Get a rule book and make sure you understand what you can do, can't do, and have to do.

Just a WAG, but if it were me I would do tuft testing with and without the rear wing.  Cheap, relatively easy and might be better off without the wing (or maybe not)  I have no idea how many rear wing options there are, but going out a buying a bunch at a junkyard without doing what I suggest may be a waste of time and money if the best option is no wing.  Again, this is a guess, but I wouldn't be that surprised if it's a decent guess.

:-D

The Ecotech is certainly capable of much more boost than stock and capable of mucho horsepower, not a bad choice. 

Offline ray321

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »
 Would running no wing bump me out of the G/PS class?

Offline jb2

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 03:21:36 PM »
Again, get the rule book and understand everything.  But no.  You can run anything available to the public oem for that model year.  If a different wing or no wing is beneficial, that is what you can run.  The tufts is a good idea, but how a wing performs at 100mph will be very different than how it performs at say 150mph.  Wind tunnel, CFD, or testing on the course may be the only way for you to see what different wings, front ends etc....  may do to top speed.  One wing we used created lift, but not until you were over 175 or so. 

Like sockjohn said, not a bad choice with the hp potential.  Where is your project right now?  Is it a street car?  Cage?

Also, you do have to build the car to specs for the class and record speed you are running. 

Offline ray321

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:38:36 PM »
 yes it is a street car weekend warrior, the car has a 4 point roll bar, 5 point harness, 2.5 lb fire extinguisher, I currently run Time trials and track days with the scca and nasa thougt about giving this a shot. I have submittied my ecta membership and iam waitting for the rule book.