Author Topic: B's Studebaker build  (Read 8283 times)

Offline basher13

B's Studebaker build
« on: February 12, 2009, 01:54:34 AM »
Testing, testing, is this thing on?
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline basher13

Re: B's Studebaker build
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 03:02:42 AM »
I hope I can build a car better than I operate a computer!

My dad and I are putting this together to run in the 130/150 clubs, stockish running gear. 289, OD trans., TT rearend and some custom exhaust work! I'm not sure if they are for downforce or to push the car faster, we'll have to wait and see. Plan is to make it safe and legal and go have some fun, it's fairly straight with no rust other than a lil on the surface. Looking for bumpers and a hood, most likely go fiberglass, at least with the hood. Haven fun so far and I haven't really done anything other than sat in, crawled all over it, and stared at it! Got to get that out of the way before you start any real work anyways!

Offline GH

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 08:24:28 AM »
basher, I know a guy who had a fiberglass hood. I will check and see if he still has it, I'll let you know. I  just saw him, he says it gone, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 08:33:44 AM by GH »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:04:29 AM »
OK Basher time for a little honesty

I hope I can build a car better than I operate a computer!

.... so far and I haven't really done anything other than sat in, crawled all over it, and stared at it!

ya made varoooom, varooooom, varooooom noises when you sat in the drivers seat... right  :-D

Good luck with the build and the clubs, it is not as easy as most think.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline basher13

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 10:52:22 AM »
GH, that was quick! thanks anyways.

I got to drive the car home from where we bought it, maybe 45 miles or so. Through the small towns I was just trying to get from light to light, you know turn right as you brake kind of thing! Out on the highway I was staring out that windshield, lookin down at the motor, havin a blast. With the bias ply tires, sloppy suspension and steering it's defiantly a two hander. It'll be fun to get everything fixed and see what it will do, I'm hoping for at least 100mph.

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2009, 12:36:00 AM »
Looks like a pretty solid start.  What year is your car?  Those taillights appear to be later style?  Not like 53-55 that I can recall, just curious.  I am putting a 53-54 style front end on my 55, I think that is the only one you can find in fiberglass, which is good because I think it looks best.

To help get the most power out of that Stude engine, look at www.racingstudebakers.com where you can get some good advice to build up the Stude engine.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline basher13

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2009, 01:24:26 AM »
 Good to see all the stude builds all in a row, thanks 38 chevy! Cars a mix of 61 with the 53 nose and trunk...tailights I'm not sure, still learning what's what. The car turned out to be rust free other than a small pin hole near the pass. door, nice starting point for sure.
As it sits now we've got the cage fit and tacked and the body is down to bare metal. Tubing notchers are worth the money! I've tried coping with a hot saw and grinder and you can get pretty good at it, or you can walk over to the drill press and set the tube in the notcher and pull the handle down. Viola! Everybody needs one.
I need to spend some more time finding out the deal with Stude motors, R1, R2, full flow. For now dad and I are going to run stock set up as a baseline and see what happens...think it can take 6500rpm?
Just kidding dad.
Long way to go and lots to learn...like how to post pictures!

Offline Barry

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:06:32 PM »
Hi everyone this Dan's dad, Barry. We made it to WOS and ran abest of 110 mph. The brakes were dragging the overdrive didn't work and the timing was where it sounded the best. The timing marks don't line up right. We will back next september with new heads a tight distributor and back off the brakes. I have to pull the trans to see why the overdrive won't work. In 2011 its Dans turn to drive. The car run straight and true which was something we were concerned about. If you see a bright yellow Studebasher thats us. Happy thanksgiving and good luck on all your projects. Barry

Offline basher13

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 11:45:18 PM »
With six days to go the car is just about ready. The motor was pulled over the winter and new heads and a cam installed. We also installed a MSD ignition and built some good quality plug wires, I took it out on the 4 lane for it's first "get after it" run, with the motor changes and new gears it pulls pretty good. I'm having an issue at higher rpms, same as last year, time to go through the electrical and fuel system. Lil more paint work on the inside and some tuning we should be ok. Car ran 110 last year with quite a few issues, I think it had another 5mph in it. Goal for this year...130 club!
Looking forward to getting the family down on the salt and introducing my youngest to the holy land, come by and introduce yourself, bright yellow Stude is hard to miss.
Later
Dan

I wonder if my tent is still at the bend....  :-o

Offline RichFox

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 04:56:20 AM »
This is with a pretty stock 289? I sold my Hawk. Don't know how fast it would go, but I would say 130, not. My Lark with the 383 would be fun in the 130 club. I should have given that some thought. Good luck and keep us informed.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Have fun guys---I would like my sons to catch "Salt Fever"  not very likely!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 08:20:12 AM »
Did you do anything to the heads?  Springs need to have more spring pressure or you will hit valve float. 

My old GT had the heads milled .125, caused a bit of intake work to get everything lined up, heavier springs, and a little porting by a guy that had no idea what he was doing other than making the holes bigger...  :roll:  yea, it was me...  :| ran 132... I was young and dumb... as opposed to being old and dumb... and yes, I have a time slip from the state of Kansas somewhere in my collection of crap. 
So it is possible to 130 Club yours I'm sure. 
Good luck, We will be at WoS with the lakester, still thrashing the engine for the liner.
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline basher13

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 07:43:02 PM »
The heads and cam came from Jack Vines over in Spokane, we told him what we had, and our plans with the car. R3 valves with R2 springs, lil port work and some positive seals, the cam is a R2+. It feels faster, heck it sounds faster just sayin it!

Got the stumble out of the higher RPMs this morning, dropped in another distributor. Revs to over 5k with no stumble. With not being able to pull over 4k last year and the changes we made, should be fun! See some of you in a few days

:cheers:
Dan

Offline wilcox garage

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
Glad to hear things are coming together !!!
Mark Wilcox,
142 D/BSTR  record qualifier 2011 219.935
182 D/BGMMP record holder 2019 215.798