Author Topic: Piston eng. vs Rotary eng.  (Read 15935 times)

Offline MAZDA1807

Re: Piston eng. vs Rotary eng.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2009, 11:37:02 PM »
Well, everyone who reads this thread, no rotary for now.  I'm running a 1991 ford ranger with a 2.7l ford 4cylinder.  before you ask, yes it's an Esslinger setup.  The Mazda will be back in a couple of years, after the little resto.                                                                                                Peter
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »
I think I might know of a dyno that you can use in the Hawthorne area to get the beast tuned.  :-D
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2010, 11:42:28 PM »
Hope you can bring the rotary to Speedweek in 2011.
Wierd is good

Offline SlyOneJr

« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:33 AM »
Actually, back in the 80's, NHRA would let you run a Rotary in Competition Eliminator in D/Econo Dragster and in Super Stock in the Modified Compact classes. Terry Hoard ran an RX-3 that ended up winning a lot of races, and my Dad ran a Rotary in D/ED. The factor on the Rotary engine used to be X2, but when we went out and ran a 9.32 at 131, NHRA decided to start factoring the engine at X2.2 and killed the Rotary engine. Then NHRA came out with the Sport Compact series, and the Rotaries were back, running at a factor of X2.5, and when the Sport Compact series went south, so did the Rotary engine classes. As far as NHRA is concerned, the Rotary can run in the E.T. Bracket classes (Super Pro, Pro, and Sportsman) but only if they can meet the sound requirements, which is normally 98 db at five feet above the ground at sixty feet from the racing surface.Now, if you have ever heard an unmuffled Rotary, you know that they are ear shattering. The dragster we had used to read 132 db at an idle of 3000 rpm, and we used to leave the line and shift at 13,500. No one could seem to get a decibel reading going down the track on the car. Hate that NHRA has factored out the Rotary, because they were a great little engine and a lot of fun to run.
New Guy building a L/Gas Lakester
Ninja 250 powered Lakester for ECTA meets

Offline dw230

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 12:31:13 PM »
There you go Pete. Campaign for 2.2 or 2.5.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2010, 05:44:48 PM »
A typical piston engine cycles in 4 distinc motions, a rotory only in 3. Use the 3 to 4 ratio in favor of the piston engines  and if you want to beat a rotary, build a better piston engine. It's 2010, you can't expect all of today's technology to follow a patern set up in the late 1800's! There's just too many ways to make a wheel turn!
                                                                                       -Chad-   
Wierd is good

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2010, 05:54:25 PM »
It's 2010, you can't expect all of today's technology to follow a patern set up in the late 1800's! There's just too many ways to make a wheel turn!
                                                                                       -Chad-   

Don't rock the boat too hard, you will find yourself on the wrong side of the rules. Remember its not your sand box, if you want to play, you will have to conform. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
I'm sitting quietly in the omega class not really knowing what to expect from my project(s). Currently working on a bio-diesel water injected turbineshaft with a secondary side project that could best be described as "fringe technology". I admire all of the hard work and careful consideration that goes in to making a piston powered, wheel driven vehicle accelerate to it's aerodynamic limits and last long enough to back up the figures with a second run. That's the purpose of hot rodding: see how fast you can go. When somone shows up with a Wankel(or Renesis or some homemade contraption made to move a vehicle)they're there for the same reason as you: see how fast it'll go. 
                                                                      -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
It's 2010, you can't expect all of today's technology to follow a patern set up in the late 1800's! There's just too many ways to make a wheel turn!
                                                                                       -Chad-   

Don't rock the boat too hard, you will find yourself on the wrong side of the rules. Remember its not your sand box, if you want to play, you will have to conform. Tony

I agree with Tony
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 08:17:39 PM »
Chad
there is also an experience in racing that's not to enjoyable.... that's having tech tell you to load yer fancy ideas up on the trailer and go home.... Lots of people on this board who have been there and done that.... ask questions... save yourself some trouble
kent

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »
This is why i'm here. I already forsee all kinds of questions arising during build progress and i'd rather find out the right answer before i get stuck with loads of re-work, or the long drive home without getting to run. I didn't mean to step on toes with my rant, just praising progress and enginuity.
                                                                                       -Chad-
Wierd is good

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2010, 12:30:12 AM »
Well, looks like it's fair game for the rotary community.
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD