Author Topic: Coker Firestone Indy tires:  (Read 12551 times)

McRat

Re: Coker Firestone Indy tires:
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:36 PM »
When Banks set the FIA record in the Dodge-Cummins truck he blew the whole back off the quick change. Left a bunch of scrap on the course. We had a long clean up.

That's what I heard.  The Banks truck was pushing less power than I am if I understand it correctly, so a quick-change isn't going in our truck.  Our problem is that diesels make their power at very low rpm's, and it's brutal on drivetrain parts.  A 2500hp alcohol car rear axle won't survive in a 900hp diesel truck.

In 30 years of racing, I've shut down a track 3 times for cleanup, all in the last 7 years:  A Corvette rear blew pieces 50' out the back on a 7,200rpm launch at Carlsbad (first time I think that track actually had any traction), lifted a cylinder head at Calspeedway at the 1000' marker, and grenaded a transfer case at Calspeedway.  Probably 5,000? passes on bikes, cars, and trucks.  Normally I like to destroy stuff where nobody can see. :-D  Stealth technology.  Casper's last pass at Bonneville did about $22,000 worth of carnage, but held together. 

Anyhow, I'm going to run the short course so it's easier to clean.   :evil:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 10:44:57 AM »
Dunlop 550-18's and 750-18's have been sucsessfully used for the last few years over 200 mph. They are not true LSR tires and if used in "moderation" may be good for many applications. I do not know the load limits and I have only been 216 on unshaven 750's with a 3500# roadster. I believe the 550's may have been run 240 on other rioadsters. I have heard they are getting hard to get.........Good Luck JD.

IMO the Coker 31's look great on a 29-32 high boy................
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 01:24:34 PM »
Here is a link for the Dunlaps.

http://www.rogerkraustires.com/Dunlop/Vintage.shtml

Roger also carry the Blockley tires at least one Roadster runs or ran.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 01:35:44 PM »

My fantasy tire would be 34" tall on a 16-18" rim, but that means aircraft only.

McRat,

Does you class allow Overdrive transmissions like a Gear Vendor? If so here is a quote from their website:

GEAR VENDORS provides overdrive product to racing cars and trucks up to 2000hp and trucks towing heavy RV's up to 25,000lbs gcvw.

Might be an option for the salt. Just a thought.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

McRat

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 01:49:03 PM »
Thanks!  Yeah, I've looked at the gear vendors unit and it's certainly an option.  I do know another LSR diesel pickup that had trouble with their's but I don't have specifics.  I believe they had to "piggy-back" two units together, and it didn't hold.  Team FASS?

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2009, 01:13:51 AM »
McRat,
What ever you do for a rear gear you need to size it on it torque rating and not horse power. You make lots of torque to make the hp you do at the relative low rpms and that is why quick changes will not take your engine. They are rated at 800 hp but that is at 8000 rpm input not 4000. Have you looked at what the tallest gear is for a Dana 60?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2009, 02:57:33 AM »
Thanks!  Yeah, I've looked at the gear vendors unit and it's certainly an option.  I do know another LSR diesel pickup that had trouble with their's but I don't have specifics.  I believe they had to "piggy-back" two units together, and it didn't hold.  Team FASS?

Gear Vendor is a great company but it would not hold up to the 222 cars torque.

JL222

McRat

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2009, 10:45:40 AM »
McRat,
What ever you do for a rear gear you need to size it on it torque rating and not horse power. You make lots of torque to make the hp you do at the relative low rpms and that is why quick changes will not take your engine. They are rated at 800 hp but that is at 8000 rpm input not 4000. Have you looked at what the tallest gear is for a Dana 60?

Rex

Haven't checked the Dana 60 yet.  Thanks!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2009, 11:19:29 AM »
rat....
be carefull....yes its no secret we don't have traction, but thats not the problem... if you ever heard a real hard b-ville pass like Teage or Burkland you'll hear a whurr, whurr, whurr as each drive wheel fights for traction... kinda like sponson walking...loosing traction is not the problem... when it hooks back up is when it blows shit up.... repeated jarring and pounding is unavoidable. so my advise to all those who build light 'cuz we "don't have traction" buy 2 cuz your gonna need it!
Kent

McRat

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 11:29:59 AM »
rat....
be carefull....yes its no secret we don't have traction, but thats not the problem... if you ever heard a real hard b-ville pass like Teage or Burkland you'll hear a whurr, whurr, whurr as each drive wheel fights for traction... kinda like sponson walking...loosing traction is not the problem... when it hooks back up is when it blows Subaru up.... repeated jarring and pounding is unavoidable. so my advise to all those who build light 'cuz we "don't have traction" buy 2 cuz your gonna need it!
Kent

That's what I'm thinking.  One problem with my truck is the power comes on all at once, and if you feather the pedal or the engine unloads, it drops boost suddenly.  It's a side effect of big turbo boost that's hard to tune out of it without losing high RPM ability.  If at all possible, I want to keep the factory axle as it's proven to withstand huge shock loading.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 11:33:51 AM by McRat »

Offline jl222

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 04:47:36 PM »

Kent

Whenever I here that sound its from a solid suspension car and the jackhammering causes a lot of drivetrain problems.

JL222