Author Topic: El Mirage Live Broadcast  (Read 7053 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

El Mirage Live Broadcast
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:40:28 AM »
When we had almost real time coverage of the Top 1 Oil Shootout last year I thought that was really cool.

I’ve been helping Bill Guzenski with the announcing at El Mirage and got to thinking a live web broadcast would be really cool.

This would bring SCTA races to anybody with an internet connection. It might even bring in new members.

The SCTA already had audio equipment. The races are broadcast over a PA system and a low power FM broadcast.

Bill thought it would be a good idea and we kicked around a few ideas. I talked to Mike Manghelli (He handles communications and the computers at El Mirage) about doing a live broadcast and he give me a few pointers and basically said that if I wanted it to happen I would have to do my homework and make it happen.

I did my homework.

I thought that since Stewart Harnick videos the races that we could use his video feed. That didn’t work out because he only video’s about 10 percent of the time when there’s action. The RF link to get the feed to the computer was also prohibitively expensive.

On to plan B. After looking at inexpensive cameras I came up with a plan that would use 4 wired digital cameras. One fixed camera at the start line to show the cars in line at staging. A second fixed camera facing down the track to show the start of the run.

The third camera was a problem because the finish line is a mile and a third away. A bunch of research and consulting with Mike and Rick Yacoucci I found a solution with a video over ethernet camera that utilizes the existing microwave ethernet link from the timing trailer to the announcer trailer (used for the timing slips). The camera would be on a fixed tripod with 360 degree panning capability to cover the finish line area.

The fourth camera would be in the announcers stand to show the announcer and to do live interviews with the drivers.

This still left the problem of getting the feed to the internet. The first hurdle was the fast computer needed to process the video.

Bill Guzenski stepped up to the plate and offered to donate a complete computer system. Gotta love him. World’s best announcer and has a computer too!

I didn’t know anything about video and audio mixing. I talked to Ron Cohn (he handles the audio at El Mirage.) I did my homework.  I found an inexpensive audio mixer that would allow the existing audio gear to interface with the camera audio and a software package that would not only do the video camera mixing, but also stream it to the internet. It also allows video captions and the ability to mix in pictures and movies.

I realized that there is a lot of dead time between runs that we could fill with announcer video, interviews, promotions for the SCTA, the member clubs, the SCTA trailer and online store, all of the other LSR events, and Steve Harnick videos.

This still left the problem of getting the feed to the SCTA web site. I needed an internet link that had enough speed to support the video. I studied a satellite feed, but that is really expensive. The next best option is a broadband wireless card. This uses a cell phone connection. I studied the cell towers with in a 10 mile radius. There aren’t any. The nearest ones are in Victorville at the maximum useable range. I usually get about 1 bar on my cell phone on the lake bed.

Mid December a miracle happened. Verizon put a cell tower at Sheep Creek Rd. and El Mirage Rd. I drove a 200 mile round trip at the end of December to Callaway’s to test the broadband wireless speed. (The lake bed was under water at the time.) I not only got 5 bars on my cell phone but upload tests showed speeds way above what I needed.

That was the last hurdle that I had to get over before I pitched the project to the SCTA.

This is not an inexpensive proposition, there is $2,300 in equipment even with the donated computer.

I did my homework.

Dean,
We brought up your general proposal before the SCTA board and membership at the January meeting. It did not meet with a warm reception. The task of putting on a race is onerous at best and is done soley through the efforts of the members of the clubs.
Just  to get the necessary work done is difficult, what you propose was not considered worth the expense or effort.
Even if you find the volunteers and work yourself, there is expense to the association in terms of equipment and web hosting.

This was not my decision, but rather the consensus position of all the clubs represented.
Roy Creel

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: El Mirage Live Broadcast
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
Dean, I've been working to do some live audio streaming from Bonneville -- and the big hassle is getting enough uplink speed from the Salt 9or, in your case, the lakebed) to the internet.  I've got a cell/card too -- and I'm still awaiting word on whether or not it'll provide enough speed for the audio.  Video?  No way, I'm told -- but maybe audio.  You'll need to check the upload speed of the card from the lake.  I've already tested mine and my tech guy is not sure if the cell/card sped is enough for the audio.  Please consider letting me know if you get a definitive answer on the required speed -- Im still waiting for one.

If the phone card doesn't work I'll consider a satellite uplink.  The big ones - like a TV station might use -- are certainly expensive.  But I've got satellite internet service here at the house and that system is only hundreds, not thousands, of dollars.  Getting it set up and aimed and accepted by the system at a remote location will be a hurdle -- but it provides faster service than the card system does.  I'll take the unit off the house's wall and pack it in the trailer if that's what I've got to do.

Let me know what you're finding, if you will.  Thanks.

By the way, getting the audio program ready to go into the computer is the easy part.   Mixing, sources, that stuff -- I've spent enough years as the production guy at a radio station to make that easy.  It's what to do with it after that that has me cornfused.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »
Bill talks too much already, LOL  :-P

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:41:51 AM »
Dean,

Do you have a PayPal account for donations???

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 01:23:27 PM »
Dean & Bill,

Great idea, just don't know how practical it would be. Between the high winds and dust at El Mirage it could end up being a bigger pain in the a** than it is worth.

Here is an idea, that would (IMO) work better, get more acceptance from the Clubs (SCTA) and be a step towards what you guys are trying to accomplish. Just do a live audio feed from the lake-bed. NHRA did it from Pomona for the Winternationals. I listened to it when on the computer and thought it was great.

What would you think of doing something like that. No camera costs would be involved, no worrying about dirt on lenses or anything else associated with cameras. (setup, take down, maintenance, damage, etc.)

Just an idea, let me know what you think,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

dwarner

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 02:04:28 PM »
Thats a good idea Tom. I too listened to the live NHRA audio feed. I think I'll go the site now and see if they are going to do it again today.

DW

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 02:18:37 PM »
I am on the NHRA site. Click on Audiocast in the event box on the right side and give a listen to the live broadcast. It looks like the entire event will be on air today as they are running the bracket guys now.

I think something like this may work for El Mirage. Give Bill the walk around mike and he can interview drivers/crews on the starting line.
The person in the announcing stand, Dean?, could read out the times as they come in from the tower. Plenty of time to fill with sponsers, club info, history, etc.

Those who have been to the salt know about Ron's radio broadcast. I keep my truck on his feed and my cb to channel one. I can get a complete view of whats going on from these sources. Ron fills dead time from a supply of tapes he has which includes interviews and documentaries on LSR.

DW

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 06:05:08 PM »
I've done some interviewing of folks on the line at Bonneville -- and turned the tapes to Ron so he could play them.  That worked just dandy.  It's not easy being a good interviewer, though, as I learned years ago when I worked in the radio business.  I don't think I'm good, for that matter -- at least not good enough to do it full time for a few days.  And surprisingly few of the racers or crew members wanted to give me much of an "interview", claiming shyness, or that they were busy with prepping the vehicle, or whatever. 

I'd be careful about promising too much, though, of the broadcast (I'll use that term even though it's more of a "netcast").  That is, it's darned difficult to fill in all the time there is in a full day.  Trying to do so might end up with the announcer sounding like a young college radio station announcer trying to sound "right" -- when he's really blathering about not much at all.  And finding someone that's able to give a good solid commentary of the goings-on is going to be difficult without having to hire someone.  If you get a racer (or someone from the racing fraternity) you might have some success - and I wish you the best.

But -- if and when I get to do this at Bonneville I'll first listen to what's worked for you - and also do my best to let the listeners know that there may well be long stretches of nothing much at all.  Most folks that'll want to listen are familiar with the pauses between runs and won't be ready to switch the dial just because they're listening to dead air.

If there's anything at all that I can do to help -- please feel free to ask.  This has been a long-time dream and plan of mine, and whatever I can do to help make it happen is what I'll offer.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 07:20:44 PM »
Key to making any broadcast like this work would be doing the homework ahead of time on the production end - the producers job.  I think a really compelling audio netcast could be done with a small team of folks collecting information (Name, class, info on the vehicle, anecdotes, what record they're running against) and recording short interviews with the folks in line that can be used just prior to their runs.

Sometimes, it is tough to get people to say more than, "yes,sir", and "no,sir" on the radio, but a good producer will get folks to open up.  The first question should always be, "Can you spare two minutes?  If it's okay with you, we'd like to find out about your team" - that will show your respect for their time, and also acknowledge the effort of everyone else around them.  And by saying "two minutes", you've let them know that you're not going to be an overbearing pest.

And when all else fails, try, "So, tell us about the car".

If you find somebody during this process who is really good, or is really funny, invite them to stop by for a live interview later, time permitting. 

You take the tapes (files) back to the trailer/tent/truck/van, do a quickie edit, and you've got a bunch of fifteen to twenty second bites of the driver telling you about - whatever - and by the time they're at the 3/4 mile mark, where most of the tension is building - you cut back to your on-air guy.  The producer would be putting these together, starting early,  maybe even doing phone interviews weeks before, coordinating them, and stacking them up for broadcast.  And saving some for next month - that's a leg up for the next broadcast, and gives you breathing space if there's down-time. 

Live, cut, prerecorded, cut, live, cut, boom, boom, boom, AND you could do build-ups to anything really unusual and cool, (the Electrobike last November comes to mind).

Prerecorded interviews with board members, club presidents, celebrities, racers, a guest former racer as a color commentator - that could fill the dead air if the wind comes up.  Ongoing club standings throughout the day, (always subject to verification) would be cool.  There's a lot going on, and that can be effectively portrayed with a little planning.

You do a few of 'em right, and you could pick up some sponsorships.  Probably not enough to defray the whole cost, but maybe enough to pay for the gas to get the crew out there.

I think Elmo could be paced on radio in a way that would rival a well broadcast baseball game.  The timing of the event is such that a well organized producer with a small, informed crew could put together a broadcast that could be really compelling. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 08:47:34 PM »
Announcing is a full  time job at speedweek. Knowing the cars,drivers, what they have done in the past and keeping up with the times on 2 or 3 courses for a full week is hard to do. Loving the job helps as well as being  rewarding. It takes thought and in the down times you still have to keep racers and spectators informed. 

The lakes are are lot slower and almost the same racers each meet. Still it takes planning and keeping everyone on their toes. It's somewhat easier at the lakes as the entries usually around 100, where Bonneville is over 400. The first time racers don't give us much to talk about until they get some seat time and we get a little history on them.

But the new people deserves any input we have so their crews and family know and we are giving them credit for the efforts. After almost 2500 runs the last two years at speedweek alone will wear down anyone trying to keep up with things from the timing and announcing  stand point.

When I was chief timer having 6 meets at the lakes and 2 at Bonneville each year you do go home for a well needed rest. Interviewing people takes thought before during and after. I would love to see live stuff at all venues and wish for all we can make it happen.

Lets go racing :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 12:15:20 PM »
I listened to the NHRA broadcast almost all day yesterday. I agree with Jon in that there will be a lot of dead air time, ahrd to fill.

It seemed to work best when there were two guys on air and they played off themselves. One of the on air guys had to leave to catch a plane so it then became more difficult. A TA car went into the nets and there was some down time. The single on air person had difficulty filling the time.

DW

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 02:39:04 PM »
Personally I was really happy with the up to the minute posts on the board when having to sit home. It just takes a few folks with a computer & some info. Live audio would be cool but maybe take a step back & try to do what was done during the private meet. It might be a foot in the door & a selling point for future endeavours. A live chat would be cool but then you'd lack the history that a board like this provides. Oh yeah & send a donation to SSS to cover the bandwith we'll all use up drooling over the posts! hehehe

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 02:44:46 PM »
Maybe the KISS method would actually be the best way.

The KISS method would be to have a laptop in the announcer's stand, hooked up to the Internet. Once every 15 minutes someone could enter the car numbers and unofficial speeds to the SCTA website. This would be so easy since one person in the announcer's stand writes down all the car numbers and speeds, for the timing slips available to car owners. I know this way of doing it is not glamorous and high tech, but it would be a way to get the information to those who are unable to attend the event.

Actually, in reality this is the best way to get the information out. It keeps everything on a level playing field.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 02:53:48 PM »
Deb,

We were both typing at the same time, with the same idea! How weird is that? LOL

Tom G.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »
AHHH... great minds think alike! hehehe

:cheers:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: