Author Topic: Class question  (Read 5624 times)

Offline JW

• New folks
Class question
« on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:21 PM »
Looking to start on a car and I'm wondering how it will be classed. I already sent off for the new rulebook but since it isnt done maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking at building a '90 model Ford Mustang w/ a 2.3l 4 cyl. The car will prolly be gutted w/ just a drivers seat, fabbed dashboard and needed safety equipment(rollbar,seatbelt/harness and such). Where would it be classed if it ran on pump gas.....how bout racegas.....what if nitrous is thrown in. Just looking to have a lil fun w/ it. Any help would be appreciated. thanx

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Class question
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:11 PM »
If you already had it completed, I would say it will fit USFRA 130 or 150 club... wait for your rule book, shop it for the class you want to run, build to that class... 2.4 is kind of small for 3 liter and too large for 2.   Read your rule book before you get in too deep.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
     Three cars that I can think of quick that ran a 2.3 at Maxton last season.  Falcon Ranchero, Pinto, and Mustang in various classes.  I would have to study the results [on the ECTA site - link on this home page] to match names, cars, classes they ran.  Maybe a little small for the class break but they have good torque...

Nitrous puts you into fuel classes.

Hope to see you in April.

Ed Purinton

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 08:56:12 AM »
Stainless -- he's asking about ECTA (witness the post being in the ECTA column).

I know, it's still early in your part of the country.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »
Yes I noticed after I posted yesterday.... but the post is actually still applicable.  Build to the rules... or end up racing someplace else... it is a hard lesson and lots of folks have learned it the hard way, still don't want JW to be one of them...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

LittleLiner

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:00:33 PM »
Looking to start on a car and I'm wondering how it will be classed. I already sent off for the new rulebook but since it isn't done maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking at building a '90 model Ford Mustang w/ a 2.3l 4 cyl. The car will prolly be gutted w/ just a drivers seat, fabbed dashboard and needed safety equipment(rollbar,seatbelt/harness and such). Where would it be classed if it ran on pump gas.....how bout racegas.....what if nitrous is thrown in. Just looking to have a lil fun w/ it. Any help would be appreciated. thanx

Here are some general guidelines and unofficial opinions that can get you started.  If you have some specific questions send me a PM.

Your Mustang would fit into engine class 'F' which is for engines over 2 litres up to 3 liters.
The 'body class' could include Real Street, Super Street, Production, Gas Coupe, Altered Coupe and Competition Coupe.
It will not be able to run in any of the Vintage Classes due to the engine not being a legal vintage engine.  Nor will it fit into the Classic categories because the model year 90 is not old enough (1981 or older) to be classified as a classic.

First the Street Classes (Real and Super) - If you want to run in this category the car must be registered and insured and have all required street equipment. (lights, wipers, etc)  - Real Street allows one 4 barrel or equivalent intake.  Super Street allows fuel injection, blowers etc. 

Gas Coupe - Since your engine isn't an engine swap you can only qualify for Gas Coupe by adding a quick change rear or a non-stock supercharger.  Otherwise the car remains pretty much stock bodied.

Altered Coupe - Tape up (all or partial) the grill and headlights and or set the engine back and you are legal in altered.

Competition Coupe - Chop the top or extend the front of the body, or add a full belly pan and you are OK for Competition Coupe.

Production - Pretty much a Gas Coupe but you can't use a quick change rear or a non-stock supercharger.

Rollcages and belts - At Maxton you can run up to 135mph without a cage.  Up to 135 is OK with production safety equipment.  Your stock 90 Mustang belts and shoulder strap should be enough (assuming they are in OK condition).   If you wish to stay under 135 and avoid upgrades to belts etc then you should stay with a fairly stock interior.  If in doubt contact the ECTA.  Of course you can add a racing seat (not plastic!) and racing belts if you want.

Gas/Fuel/Nitrous - Real and Super Street can use pump gas purchased off site to run in the gas classes.  For all other classes, Racing Gas must be bought at the track for any 'Gas" class in all categories.  Using any 'gas' that is not purchased at the track will put you into the 'fuel' classes.  Nitrous is considered 'fuel' and disqualifies you for any 'gas' class.  Nitrous is the only legal Fuel additive in the Street 'fuel' classes.

Confused yet?  But wait! There's more!

At Maxton (but NOT at SCTA or USFRA) you are permitted to run in the blown classes with unblown engines.  You are permitted to run in the fuel classes without running 'fuel.'  You are permitted to run 'up-class' in larger engine classes with smaller engines. 

So your unblown 2.3 litre engine (class F) can run in any higher engine class AA, A, B, C, D, and E - and in either Blown or unblown classes and in either Fuel or Gas classes even if running 'gas.' 

However you cannot run up in category (e.g. move from Production to Altered) unless you make the minimum required changes to the body/chassis to qualify for the 'higher' class.

Here are the current 'softer' records under 135mph you might consider:
F/GRS 114.263  (street legal with carb for intake - no nitrous)
E/FRS 115.335 (street legal with carb for intake - nitrous allowed)
F/PRO 125.698 (production - does not need to be street legal but is close to it)
E/GRS 126.227 (street legal with carb for intake - no nitrous)
F/FRS 127.324 (street legal with carb for intake - nitrous allowed)
F/BGALT 131.354 (partially tape-up front end)
F/BFCC 131.615 (chop top or extend nose or add belly pan )
F/BFALT 131.893 (partially tape-up front end)
F/FSS 132.009 (street legal with injection - nitrous allowed)
F/GSS 132.341 (street legal with injection)
F/FALT 134.777 (partially tape-up front end)
F/BGC 134.932 (would have to have either quick change rear or non-stock blower)
F/BGCC 135.135 (chop top or extend nose or add belly pan - because it is just over 135 it might require cage, belts, etc.)

WARNING!!!  Do not modify the car until you have a rule book in hand!!!  I am not an official with ECTA and while I know alot about the rules I do not want to imply that I am any sort of authority on the subject.

Whatever you decide to do I strongly suggest that you come to Maxton.  Everybody is friendly and helpful and always welcomes any and all new folks.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:02:39 PM by LittleLiner »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
     Little Liner got his homework done before I did and did a much better job than I could have.  Should be enough to get you started.  Any more questions don't hesitate to ask, like Little Liner I have found  Maxton has one big friendly family willing to help newcomers any way they can.

Three cars I mentioned were:

#548 early Mustang in F/CBGC, F/CBFALT, F/CBGALT

#9664  Pinto in F/CFALT, F/CGALT

#1223  Falcon Ranchero in F/GRS, E/FRS, F/FRS, F/CFALT

Take care,

Ed Purinton

Offline JW

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
Thanx guys, that helps alot. I'm not very far in the build as of now. I just have a rolling shell that I have peiced together right now. It has no wiring, interior or dash in the car. I would like to run in the street class but if I have my planned comp. ratio of 11.8:1, that will limit me to race gas. Will that disqualify me from the "street" fuel classes? I can get the required lights wipers, etc. working if I were able to run in street classes. If not, I just wont bother w/ it and run in production it looks like. I have been checking in on the ECTA site for a while now and have always wanted to participate. I made it a resolution this year so I'm looking to take that step. I have never even been to an event, mainly because I dont really have any friends that share the same interest and didnt really wanna go solo. Thanx again for your help. Hunnert and a quarter doesnt sound very fast...a light car and a big shot of spray oughta get me that :-D J/k

LittleLiner

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
The 'gas' available at the track includes high octane racing 'gas' that will be OK in your high compression engine.
Nitrous will disqualify you from running in the Production Class. 

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:36:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum/party JW!  Even if the car isn't ready you can always bring it down to get input and inspiration from tech and others.  Or if you are a long distance from maxton come down without the car and do the same or just enjoy the action.  I personally wouldn't want to waste the time and money to make a shell legal for street or production class when I could put it to better use like running safer and faster!   :evil:  Those altered coupe classes sound like fun. 

Check the records on the ECTA site to see what they are and when they were set.  You can also look at the results from recent meets.  It may not be as much fun if you are running alone in a class.  Look forward to meeting you in Maxton.

Offline JW

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »
Thanx for the welcome and thanx again clarifying the class brakdown. I only live about 2 hrs away from Maxton.....been wanting to come out for a while now.

Offline t russell

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:35:13 PM »
JW I live in st pauls nc.If I can help let me know.
terry

Offline JW

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:20:42 PM »
Hey thanx for the offer, I live about an hour north of Wilmington. I've done a lil drag racing in the past, entered a Grassroots Magazine challenge and I'm working on a round track car right now. I love all types of motorsports and need about 2 more sons to help me w/ my projects. :-D

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
You will enjoy Maxton ... You meet the nicest people racing land speed ... Joe

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26:44 PM »
JW,

an hour N of Wilmington ?  Jacksonville ?  Warsaw ? Clinton ? Mt Olive ? Buellaville ?

Where are you ?  LOL

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com