Author Topic: LRS vrs. NAS.CAR technology  (Read 16351 times)

dwarner

LRS vrs. NAS.CAR technology
« on: February 08, 2009, 02:33:28 PM »
OK,

New topic. I locked the Russ Wicks thread because it strayed too far off.

This can be a place to argue the merits of both types of motorsports. I had to do this because I can't stay away.

I didn't recieve a response to my comments about last night's race. Here is where we can dissect the diffs

DW

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: LRS vrs. NAS.CAR technology
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 02:37:01 PM »
Well, they do have better lights for night-time racing  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:42:59 PM »
And the fans get to set very close to the track.---------willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Geo

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 02:53:36 PM »
In LSR I can build and race a machine by myself (with the help of the list) and I can be a volunteer.   :-D

Geo

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 02:57:06 PM »
And in LSR I can get a hug from my racers without having to fork out bunches of bucks!!  Life is Grand!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 03:20:25 PM »
I've been involved in most forms of two and four wheeled motorsports as a builder, mechanic, tuner or competitor and sometimes as an owner (oops!, almost forgot power boats and snowmobiles). I've found that as long as you're interested in fitting in with the people involved they'll generally be more than willing to go out of their way to help you. As you become more competitive, the help seems to drift away and the respect increases.

If there is some sort of untoward happening, it seems in all forms of competition other competitors will come together to assist someone with some sort of crisis or emergency.

Generally it seems that most serious competitors have respect for and an interest in other forms of motorsports than the ones in which they are involved. A few more insular people tend to knock other forms of competition and feel it would take little effort to dominate if they chose to enter. I've found from personal experience that most competition is much harder than it appears once you get involved.

I think fans and spectators are more prone to knocking the forms of the sport that they don't follow. If they'd dig a little deeper I think there's more to most than they realize and in most cases it's the people and not the instruments of competition that make any form of motorsports what it is.

End of rant!

Pete

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
Well stated Peter Jack.     I too come from a long list of racing, I have worked with some the best Indy cars, IMSA GTP, NHRA drag racing, Trans AM, USAC, and NAS-CAR teams in the country and now I am into landspeed racing. I love them all and have meet some great people in all forms of motor sports. That is the best part on racing, the people you meet and sharing ideas. I think nas-car has some great people and are very qualified to race on the salt, but they will go through the same pains and struggles everyone does. If anyone had it all figured out I think we would know about it by now, but thats part of the fun, working late nights with your buddies trying to get your car to go faster. If we all had it figured out, there would be no reason to even do it. I want to see new cars and ideas come into LSR. I love to see how others approach a problem and how they solve it that's different than I would. I am looking forward to my first year in LSR and hope to meet some of the nice people that have helped me with my build. Out of all the racing I have been involved in I think the LSR people are without a doubt the most friendly and the first to give you a helping hand when you need it.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 04:38:56 PM »
I think when we are talking about technology we only have to look at Burklands, Nish, and Vesco among many others to see some pretty advanced thinking. I'm not sure about flat tappet cam four barrel 350s being the newest stuff down the pike. If thowing money at it is your goal (works for the Nash cars) look what Ron Main and Geo. Poteet have done. Truly amazing stuff. I have no question that Nash Car guys do equally amazing work with what they are limited to. In terms of both speed and durability. But the guys that ran at the 24 hour race did good too with actual up to date parts had a closer finish that the Crash-O-Rama I watched yesterday and with more cars on the track managed to finish most of them. There is a place for everthing. The place for bragging is after you do it. Or maybe not if you don't really think that time will ever come.

dwarner

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
BA57 & pap,

You mentioned respect on the other thread. Respect- earned, not demanded.

How about cheating in NAS.CAR? There is a book written on the subject:
"Cheating: An Inside Look at the Bad Things Good NASCAR Winston Cup Racers Do in Pursuit of Speed by Tom Jensen (Hardcover - Sep 27, 2002)"

Care to comment?

DW

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 07:21:56 PM »

How about cheating? There is a book written on the subject:
"Cheating: An Inside Look at the Bad Things Good Winston Cup Racers Do in Pursuit of Speed by Tom Jensen (Hardcover - Sep 27, 2002)"

DW 

No wonder "WE" never get away with anything. He (DW) studies the subject...........
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 07:49:14 PM »
Cheating in Nascar ? ... How about Smokey Yunick's 7/8 sized Chevelle ... Nascar is all about the money and that is what creates the cheating ... Joe

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 08:14:55 PM »
Working for a couple nas-car teams I saw the cheating first hand. Not only the teams but  some of the nascar inspectors turning there heads so a illegal part could pass tech. In return they would get used engine parts or complete engines from the teams so they could race there Saturday night late model cars. Any team that say they don't cheat is full of it. Your right, its all about the money.  The media portrays the teams as a family sport, if people only new how much cut throat and back stabbing goes on they would be surprised. Not only from team to team but also within the teams. Thats why I got out.

Offline DallasV

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 10:31:54 PM »
I don't know why everyone is so down on NECKCAR. I love watching NECKCAR along with Drag racing, Indy cars, Sprint Cars, Supercross, Road racing, baja racing, Heck you get 10 drunk guys racing scooters in a parking lot I'll probably watch. Racing is awesome in any form, granted I would rather watch LSR just because I'm most familiar with it, but watching 43 cup cars swapping paint at Martinsville is pretty cool. Put a motor in, run it in a straight line, in a circle, up hills, across water, over a frozen lake, in a figure 8; it don't mater my dumb arse will probably watch it.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Blown Alcohol 57tbird

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 10:41:40 PM »
Stock Car/LSR

DW it was was a very low down move locking the Wicks Thread, it shows that LSR is threatend by Stock Car technology. I just got info from Doug Herbert and seen the new design of the Herbert/ Evernham streamliner. There technology is way far advanced than the LSR of today "Fact". I will say in a very strong positive manner 500mph is in Doug Herbert's hands I am glad they will show you and all els the light of day. It just a matter of time now it is amazing the design Evernham/ Herbert number 1 in LSR

Congrats Doug Herbert NHRA/ Stock Car technology nice design and engineering sure to take the Wheel Driven record to a new area in technology
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 10:49:58 PM by Blown Alcohol 57tbird »

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 10:49:56 PM »
Stock Car/LSR

DW it was was a very low down move locking the Wicks Thread, it shows that LSR is threatend by Stock Car technology. I just got info from Doug Herbert and seen the new design of the Herbert/ Evernham streamliner. There technology is way far advanced than the LSR of today "Fact". I will say in a very strong positive manner 500mph is in Doug Herbert's hands I am glad they will show you and all els the light of day. It just a matter of time now it is amazing the design Evernham/ Herbert number 1 in LSR

Congrats Doug Herbert NHRA/ Stock Car technology

Would you mind sharing with the rest of us what is so different about the technology they are using? Have they somehow discovered a way to cheat the laws of physics?
Will weld for beer :cheers: