Author Topic: SCTA website  (Read 9955 times)

dwarner

SCTA website
« on: February 07, 2009, 10:28:59 AM »
At the board meeting last night I was given a new assignment. I will the website co-ordinater working directly with the contactor to resolve website issues. We are buying more band width in order to take records from past years and make them available on line. We intend to update a photo gallery and look into other items which will make the website more user friendly and a place you want to visit.

Here I will be asking for your help. Please let me know of your concerns about the website in its current form. What problems are you having? What do you want to see? Any links broken? That kind of stuff.

You can post here or drop me an email directly at: dwarner230@yahoo.com. I would like to have printouts that I can take to my monthly meetings with the contractor.

Thanks,
DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: SCTA website
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »
Dan,that's great to hear.It will be a lot of work but pay off in the end, :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 11:17:30 AM »
Thanks for taking that on Dan.   :cheers:
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 11:25:33 AM »
You da man, Boy. Wayno :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 11:33:40 AM »
Hurrah!!! 

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 11:58:21 AM »
The SCTA has a web site?      :evil:       
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 01:53:31 PM »
 :evil:

DW

Offline promachine

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:24:19 PM »
Congrates Dan, I hope your keyboard has a cupholder, mine does. :-P
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
Dan,

Does this mean you will be working along with Ed on the website or only on special projects?

I have a request for you. When you go to the SCTA web-page and click on El Mirage, on the new page that comes up on the top right hand side it says results 2007, 2006, and archives. When you click on these to get results blank pages come up. I was told they got deleted when SCTA ran out of space a while back. If you could reinstate those results I would appreciate it.

Another request would be to change the video's on the site more often. One team's video has been on the site in one form or another for many years.(boring) In this instance I feel change would be good for the website.

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 08:35:31 PM »
Oh yeah!!!!!  :cheers:

please please please make the navigation more user friendly!!!!

Here's what bugs me. Click on the main page http://scta-bni.org/
Click on Bonneville Records on the left side it launches a new pop-up style window (not a fully navigable browser window).
Click on Motorcycle Records part way down the page in the middle. If you read the fine print you can toggle back & forth
between the records pages but you're in a pop-up and out of the main SCTA web page so you have to close that window
to get back to the regular page. Now if you actually figured this out & made your way back to the main page but left the
pop-up window open then click on another link on the main page it launches in that pop-up window that you forgot you
opened. Now if it doesn't come to the front you just sit there trying to figure out where the heck you are & where the
window went. Now I'm pretty savvy with web navigation but 9 times out of 10 the site just ticks me off & I leave. I just
don't think it's very user friendly.

I'd like to see the history brought back. I'd like to see as much history as you can put up not just the last year or two.

I've gone to the site to try to get information about racing from a newbie perspective for both Bonneville & El Mirage and didn't find what I needed. Most of what's available on lr.com but the basics should be on there. What is the general racing schedule, start to finish basics on how to race, things like preregistration, registration, tech, licensing...

The Bonneville 200mph club is where? Yeah I know, it's not SCTA but an easier link there would be nice!

Ok, is that enough for a start?  :-D

Thanks for taking this on I know what a thankless job it is!

Debbie
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:44:57 PM by DahMurf »
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:22:29 PM »
yes Dan i have a suggestion..... "hire a professional!"... not meaning to offend those whom have volunteered to do the job in the past but it kinda show es.... there are professionals out there that will do it for about free... i just hired a new guy to revamp my site and progress to e-marketing and e-commerce, we will still do everything in house... i put an ad on Craig's list and had 2 responses in 8 minutes... as we were laughing about it more popped up... i had 33 responses by the next morning... thats when the trouble started... i started getting 10 to 15 responses PER HOUR!... i cancelled the ad after 300+ responses...
Dan there are a lot of talented people looking for work, just make a posting and ask them for samples of pages they have done...you will find some one who will have tons of ideas and will offer a graphic direction that will complement the exciting sport we enjoy.... It wont cost the SCTA much and the return on investment will be priceless
Kent

dwarner

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:33:06 PM »
Kent,

What part of the first post did you miss where I indicated that the SCTA has a contarctor? That would seem to point a person to the fact that a professional team is on board.

DW

landracing

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 03:05:03 AM »
Dan,

Can I be of assistance in helping with the SCTA website.... Building, adding content, updating, setting up photo gallery etc etc...

Jon

dwarner

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
Jon,

Thank you for your offer. The SCTA is paying a professional team so I think we will go with them first. With the fast approaching racing season this will be an ongoing project. Please do not expect immediate results.

I understand that there is a wish list in place and I have already received a couple of mails with items that you guys(and gals Deb) would like to see. We will be scheduling a meeting in the near future to set a fix it program.

DW

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 12:26:42 PM »
well Dan I dont think i missed anything...i did read it and i also re read it... it said you "WILL" be working with a contractor... your post did not say you already "HAD" a contractor... good luck...who is your selected "contractor"? can you give us some links of things he (or she) had already done? It will give us an idea of their capabilities and knowledge, so we can assist in suggestions.
Kent
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:28:59 PM by 1212FBGS »