Author Topic: Shopping for Leathers...Any Major Issues with common Road Racing Gear  (Read 9676 times)

Offline MiltonP

Re: Shopping for Leathers...Any Major Issues with common Road Racing Gear
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:56 PM »
I see where you are coming from Guy, but I wouldn't class the leathers I chose as discount.   The roadracers I spoke with insist that the technology used in the design and assembly combined with the quality of the leather hides used in their suits are as safe, or safer, than a all-cow suit for their racing.  If not the top manufacturers would be forced by the racers to offer all-cow as an option.  They also feel they have 'crash-tested' them at speeds approaching 200 mph enough to trust them.  That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they have traded off some safety for the flexibility they need for road racing and you may be right about speeds over a certain point warranting all-cow drag suits.  

As to the choices out there in all-cow suits, the few OTS (off-the-shelf) drag suits I found only talked up the hide thickness and didn't give me the impression of using advanced seam design/location.  That left custom suit vendors such as Barnacle Bills, Z-Line, etc...  I want to see how I feel running 120-140 mph on a bike and also see some of those vendors' suits in person before taking the plunge and ordering a custom LSR/drag specific suit.   It would be a serious bummer for me and other newcomers not to be able to run speeds up to 150, or whatever is deemed safe, in quality road-racing leathers.  Of course, if we can't take the plunge and opt out then those who have will get more runs.  Sure there are those who won't mind that.   :cheers:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 10:20:54 PM »
1mile
Yes i have dealt with Amanda at speed sport many times... not only have i recommended her to members of this forum but she made my set of leathers...not fixed, she completely made my set... I don't think she will do this for anyone but she did it for me because i have sponsored her racing since she moved here from the UK.... tell her i said Hi!
Kent

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »
1mile,  I am not sure if you do any street riding or road course events, but if you are, it may be worth it to do the conversion to a one piece even if you relegate the suit to that use only.  The racers I spoke with all insisted that one piece suits were more comfortable, in addition to being safer, due to less bunching of material and two-piece hardware.  Not sure if that will apply as well to your particular conversion though.  I didn't note what speeds you would be runnning at Maxton.  Personally, I will probably be looking at moving to a drag/lsr specific suit if I mve to a bike capable of speeds well above 150 mph.  I may also change if running the salt as the consensus seems to be that it doesn't mix with perf or stretch panels.

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 10:47:27 PM »
1212FBGS-- Thank YOU!! I dont think ill have a problem sending this suit to her now. What caught my attention on her site was the 18 years of sewing, and being a master FAA rigger. The attention to detail that goes with that really struck me as someone who does the best work every time out, no room for short cuts.

MiltonP-- Mostly street riding, and some non competative drag racing. I will probably turn this into a 1 piece as it will be a track only suit. I am looking at eventually getting over 200mph, so having the suit ready for high speeds is a must. No salt in my future, but who knows!? I can see a turbo down the line for this bike, just depends on if the wife gets into this sport and can get on board for uping the power.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 09:38:33 AM »
Guy I agree 100%

i agree also; but the speed should not matter. bikes that run 50 and 75 mph should use all cow too.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 2fast4u2c

• http://www.TigerRacingProducts.com
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
After personally seeing what happens to perforated leathers in a crash, I can not in good conscience tell anyone that they are OK.  They are NOT.  I understand truly that needs and cash flow dictate what you buy, but like a helmet, my head is worth the best and so is my ass.  The stretch panels have to go.  And COW is the best, it's proven and I want to see the suit that withstood a crash at 200mph made from anything other than COW.  Bates make my suits, but you can get an all COW suit from many reputable makers.  But remember that this is just my humble opinion.  Manufacturers will tell you anything so that you will buy their suits.  I double dare them to show me a suit that failed at 200mph that was made from anything other than COW.  They won't because they can't.  Kangaroo and lamb is too thin and has terrible shear strength.  I would be remiss as a racer if I did not get my point across.  You do what you feel you must, but do not take my warning lightly.  Ask any experienced crash investigator who specializes in motorcycle accidents and there will be NO hesitation when they tell you what you should be wearing.
COW!  Everywhere, COW.  No synthetics, no stretch panels, no perforations.  COW.
Did I mention your suit should be all COW?

Guy
300mph or Bust in 1 mile!!!

Tiger Racing

Offline sabat

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
I had an all-cow set made by Syed Leathers in Orlando, FL, very tough, and reasonably priced.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
I have done post-incident analysis for another dangerous sport, cave-diving.  We had to examine the some 27 deaths, some involving people we knew.  If we learned anything, it is that you will find cases for anything know matter how much you believe it isn't possible.  Yes, riders have had serious injuries wearing suits that were not all-cow but there are also a very large number of road racers going down on a regular basis, including some who apparently aren't very good or lucky, that have gone down over 20 times a year wearing suits with multiple fabrics.  Injuries also occur with all-cow suits.  If you look at many of the amateur and pro series require you will find it is 2 piece suits that almost all of them don't allow.  All allow perforated leather in specific zones.  Properly designed stretch zones also do a very good job of minimizing loose 'bunchy' leather that is well know to do serious damage to the skin during incidents. 

I don't feel there is legitimate justification in declaring anything non all-cow unsafe especially in the 150 mph and below range.  It is like saying we know better than all other series despite most of them having much more incident experience.  If a ruling should come out on this, I hope that it is similar to the 4 wheel rules where more gear is required over a certain speed be it 140 or 150.  We should also make an effort to make post-incident analysis public, after a cooling off period, so we can all feel comfortable with the rules.

One area where our sport does differ is with high speeds exceding 200.  Only drag racing has that in common with us and I am not sure that they have it down to an a science.  We are also unique in running on salt though road racers have some pretty rough gravel pits to deal with.  I don't want riders wearing potentially inferior non all-cow suits, but we need to be sure that we don't end up with riders wearing inferior $350 all-cow drag suits due to a rash ruling if they would be safer in the $1000 road racing suit they already own.