Author Topic: Shopping for Leathers...Any Major Issues with common Road Racing Gear  (Read 9695 times)

Offline MiltonP

Heading to a last minute bike show tomorrow unfortunately probably before I can get advice here.  The inventory in the local shops for race leathers is poor to say the least.  I am thinking that I may buy a set tomorrow if I find one that fits well and is priced reasonably.  I am tempted by these advertised suits that have perforated non-critical areas after seeing everybody get toasted waiting in line at Maxton and Bonneville especially since I don't have a crew.  I know our governing bodies allow some perforated sections but am not clear on whether those sections match up with those offered by the major reputable brands for roadracing.  I would like to feel confident that buying a reputable brand suit will pass tech at least thru my sub-200 adventures.  I will try to find a one piece i can manage buy will also consider two piece suits with good/managable zippers.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Shopping for Leathers...Any Major Issues with common Road Racing Gear
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 11:27:11 PM »
Milt, scta has an all leather rule, perforations must be kept to a minimum.  If you can't cover the area with the palm of your hand it is too much. 
I think ECTA and Bub allow regular roadrace leathers.  But let one of the regulars from those orgs let you know.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »
I think everyone has pretty much found that no standard retail race suit has met the SCTA all leather rule. However if you can find a suit with only minimal cloth patches that are too large it's not that difficult to get them covered in leather.

The following is the pertinant part of the ECTA rule from 2008. I don't believe there will be any changes to the rule for 2009:
7.C.2 Leathers:
Leathers certified by a recognized manufacturer to be suitable for the application are required. One-piece suits or two-piece suits zippered together are allowed. Required over 175 MPH: One-piece leathers or two-piece leathers with full (270 degree) zipper. Also required over 175 MPH: Special protective armor, as produced by a recognized manufacturer, with minimum coverage at elbows, knees, shoulders, hips and back. Undergarments having the required armor coverage are acceptable, when the undergarment is worn with the required leather suit.

The big thing to check if you plan to go over 175 is that it has the armor for elbows, knees, shoulders hips & back. If it doesn't, check to see if it has pockets in the liner where it could be added. The armor can be purchased after the fact. Also as stated undergarments can be worn with armor. Personally I wear compression pants with the hip pads and a vest with back & chest protection.

I did request a change to the rules for 2009 in regards to 2 piece zip together suits but I don't yet know if it was adopted. I saw a lot of street leathers with the zipper that zips the pants to the jacket sewn to stretch panels that were several inches long so I requested that the wording state that the zipper should be sewn through the leather. It may apply to all, it may only be applied to the over 175 section or it may not have been adopted at all. Regardless, if you're buying a new 2 piece suit, for your benefit, get one with the zipper sewn into the leather. If you go down on that concrete with only that stretch panel covering 4-8 inches of your back you stand to suffer some serious road rash!

Good luck & have fun at the show.
Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »
Thanks Deb,  Not sure what I will see there but may have some luck.  It might take a blown Busa to get my 210 lbs over 175 but I will definitely error on the side of safety.   :cheers:

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 01:24:14 PM »
Darn, sounds like my joe rocket GPX 2 piece is a no go!! It has the zipper attached via material and then to strech material. I would like to go over 175, so I would probably not pass tech with this suit? It works fine at the local drags, but they dont even check my gear, which is kinda scary if you think about it.

Are there any companies that make land racing suits? I know its probably a small market, but someone could have a monopoly if they had a specific suit. I guess it would be advantages to have a suit custom made. Anyone have luck with a paticular company or someone who makes these to spec?

Im tall, so I really dont know if they makes cows big enough to cover me up? It might take 2 to get the job done. :-D :-D

still on the subject of racing gear, how long are helmets good for, I have a Suomy full face, that was manufactured 01/2005, its never been down, or dropped. I purchased it january 2007. Would it make tech? What about boots? Are there any brands to stay away from or ones that are recommended?

bak189

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 02:04:26 PM »
BUB...................................................................................
Leathers:
The use of synthetic material riding suits is prohibited.  The use of Kevlar and perforated material in non-critical areas are permissible.  Leather suits may be one-piece design or joined together with a full circumference zipper at the waist. Critical area (knees, elbows, forearms, shoulders) armor or 2-layers of leather is highly recommended.  Riders of motorcycles burning fuels of a methanol content are recommended to wear Nomex underclothing or something of similar nature.
Boots:
Leather boots of significant construction are required.  They must be at lease 8 inches high with either lace, zipper and buckle, or specially
designed and constructed for leg and foot protection. SUBJECT TO SCUTINEERING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »
1M14:

Z Custom Leathers (www.zcustom.com) will make you a suit of leathers that is 100% acceptable for SCTA and ECTA and Bub's and such.  They custom-fit them to the measurements that you supply.  The cost for a nice suit was around $800 a few years ago when we last got new suits -- I don't know if that has changed.  There are other manufacturers that make acceptable leathers, too -- the "top-brand" companies do, but I'm not familiar with which ones they are.

Anyway -- if you go to Z Leathers make sure you tell them that the suit will be used for land speed racing, and remind them about things like perforations and zippers and so on.  But -- they'll be legal if you ask for 'em that way.  By the way -- my suit, including built-in armor, three colors, custom die-cut lettering, two-piece with the right zippers -- was about $1500.  Now you know a price range.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
SSS, thanks for the link. I got to thinking, instead of buying a new suit, I could have this one altered. It already has all of the armour built in, and it has no perferations, just the dang zipper is a bust. I emailed Z customs about altering this 2 piece to bring it up to code. Hopefully they can put in a metal zipper that is attached right.

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »
1mile, that rule is not a done deal just a heads up that I recommended it. The powers that be may completely kick it out so please wait on the rulebook.

My biggest concern is that I was seeing suits with as much as 8", 4" on each side, of the stretch panel that contains the zipper. In my opinion that is too much give if you're sliding & your leathers roll up or down. Even if it's not a rule I would recommend against that much stretch material. I'm ok with a few inches but for me 8" is half my back!!!

Again, please wait on the rulebook before you go doing alterations for the ECTA. And this was only recommended for the ECTA due to the abrasiveness of our concrete track.

Debbie

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:01:03 PM »
1mile, that rule is not a done deal just a heads up that I recommended it. The powers that be may completely kick it out so please wait on the rulebook.

My biggest concern is that I was seeing suits with as much as 8", 4" on each side, of the stretch panel that contains the zipper. In my opinion that is too much give if you're sliding & your leathers roll up or down. Even if it's not a rule I would recommend against that much stretch material. I'm ok with a few inches but for me 8" is half my back!!!

Again, please wait on the rulebook before you go doing alterations for the ECTA. And this was only recommended for the ECTA due to the abrasiveness of our concrete track.

Debbie

Well, I agree with you. After looking at my suit, it has 4 inches of material from the zipper, and then it is not connected to the leather, just the liner. I may just have it done to be on the safe side. Ill wait for the new rule book though to make a move.

Offline 46champ

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 12:10:44 AM »
All cow racing leathers are available from Bates, Vanson or Langlitz on a special order basis.

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 01:20:53 AM »
I have had good success with eBay and Craigs list in getting older suits that are all leather. Got a Vanson for my son for 95.00 and a Kushitani from CL for 110,needed as bit of sewing on this one,but still cheaper than new. Course the leathers we were using before were fine as well,just not all cow.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Lakesterguy

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »
if i was riding one of those bikes i think i would run the same leathers that the kid who crashed at speedweek was wearing. i saw it on youtube and i think he walked away from that crash.
Future lakester racer!

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 03:56:38 PM »
You are referring to Jason McVicar ?     He did walk away  ....  a bit stiff but any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

Joe

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 04:08:20 PM »
I think as long as you have quality leather and especially when running the higher speeds all the armor like what's required at the ECTA you stand to be reasonably well protected from the slide and to some extent the impact. I think the best thing anyone can do is to play the what if game. Look objectively at the gear you are or have chosen. Then envision what will occur in the event you have a get off. Are your knees & elbows protected from impact to the ground & sliding (important on our abrasive concrete)? How about your back? What if you slide for a while, can your 2 piece suit roll up? One of the things we've learned from the LSR bike incidents I've seen is that loose leathers will twist and burn your skin so make sure they fit snug. Just think of the rub ("Indian") burns we used to give as kids then add a lot more slide to it! Those wounds will heal relatively quickly but why not prevent the burn & risk of infection by getting properly fitting or tailored leathers.

Debbie