Author Topic: Wrenches  (Read 10546 times)

Offline willieworld

Wrenches
« on: February 05, 2009, 11:21:28 PM »
Over the next few posts I will be talking about hand tools. Tonight it will be wrenches. Probably the most used tool of all the hand tools. What I'll do is post some pictures and then comment on what is in the pictures. Hopefully at the end you will have a better understanding of wrenches. As usual if you think I forgot something or would like to add something email me a willieworld@hotmail.com and I'll see that it gets posted. Thank You.
Willie

The first pic is a picture of some wrenches. The first wrench is a crescent wrench. The name came from the original company that made the wrench. It's actually an adjustable open end wrench. The next wrench is a line wrench. It's used for hard transmission lines, brakelines, power steering lines, air conditioning lines. It's made for tightening and loosening the fittings that go on the lines. The next wrench is a socket open end wrench. These wrenches have a socket on one end and an open end wrench on the other. And most of the time both ends are the same size. A handy wrench in tight spots. Next we have box on both ends wrench. If you'll notice the holes in the wrench they have 12 points. So if you have to take the wrench off a nut and turn it, it will move 1/12th of a turn. Which is really good in a tight spot. But I think its a little harder on the nut then a 6 point wrench. Next we have a 6 point box open end wrench. Now my personal preference for a bolt that has paint or chrome or powder coating is a six point wrench. Because there is more area of contact of the wrench with the nut or bolt. Next we have 12 point box and open end wrench. We should all know that by now. One thing about box open end wrench is usually they are the same size on both ends. Where as the next wrench that you see is a double box. And you'll notice that most of the time the double box has different size on both ends, as does, the double open end. Which I don't own any, because I think its a better deal to buy the box open end wrench. It's more versatile.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 12:09:32 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Re: Wrenches
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 11:46:11 PM »
The next pic is a closeup of the crescent wrench. There is not much to say about the crescent wrench. It is a wrench you will use for different things. Sometimes as a wrench and sometimes to bend a piece of metal.
The next pictures you see are torque wrenches. They are usually used with a socket to tighten down a nut or a bolt to a certain torque, measured in foot pounds or inch pounds. They are used mostly for tightening down head bolts of any other nut of bolt where a torque rating is specified. You will notice in the pics that there are two different kinds. One when you get to your preset torque it will click. The other one has a guage with a pointer. The one with the guage and pointer is alot cheaper, but not nearly as accurate as the clicker type. Now I haven't bought any torque wrenches in 25 years so they probably have some that are digital or something else. But this style will do you just fine.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:52:26 PM »
When you buy wrenches you should have two of every size because you are going to have to hold the bolt and turn the nut. Most wrench sets come in sizes 3/8 to 3/4 inch. In the next picture you will see a set of wrenches that are all marked out. They do make bigger wrenches but I would buy a set from 3/8 to 3/4 and then if you need a bigger wrench than that you could buy those bigger wrenches individually.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 12:03:43 AM »
In the next picture you will see the wrench drawer of my toolbox. That should just about cover everything you need to do. Unless you have 3 hands.  As far as buying tools, the Snap-on tools are very expensive but they have a certain feel about them. And it always seems like if I can't get to a bolt the snap-on tool will always do it. I have another toolbox that is all craftsman tools which are also guaranteed for life. And we have harbor freight and flea market tools that we keep in the race trailer because of the salt. It ruins any kind of tool that you take there. And have been surprised at how good some of the harbor freight tools are. And I've got some awfully good deals on some tools at the flea market. As a matter of fact at the end of this tool posting I will take my camera and go to the flea market and take some pics of some of the tools out there.
I know I haven't covered every type of wrench there is and that wasn't my intention. A whole book could probably be written about wrenches. If you have anything to add, send me an email and I will post it.
One last thing, Use your tools for there intended purpose. and don't put a piece of pipe on a wrench get a bigger wrench.

See ya soon
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 02:06:37 PM »
I received a couple of emails. One was of the proper use of a crescent wrench which I am posting a pic which should be self explanatory. Always pull toward the adjustable jaw and away from the stationary jaw. Also the twelve point box wrench can be used on a square headed nut or a square drain plug. The other pic is of some specialty wrenches that I happen to have in my toolbox. I know that there is a lot more than that. Thanks Wayne and George for the emails.
Slim also wrote a letter concerning a tool kit with a bike that he has. Most of those tool kits are pretty specialized and usually just work on that one model of bike. But whoever did the design work on those kits did their homework. Because with a minimal amount of tools you could disassemble the whole bike. Maybe we will try to touch on that later. There are some companies that make some specific kits for different models of motorcycles.
Thanks George,Wayne and Slim.
See ya in the screwdriver aisle.
Willie Buchta
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:08:40 PM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:32:29 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about the metric wrenches.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 12:13:19 AM »
Geoff sent me a couple pics of some small screwdrivers and some torque wrenches in inch pounds. Inch pounds are easy to convert to foot pounds. 12 inch pounds equals one foot pound. He asked me to remind everybody to get an accurate reading off of a torque wrench you have to keep your hand on the designated handle area. Heres a couple of pics that Geoff sent.
Thanks Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta