Author Topic: New bike dyno  (Read 9123 times)

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
New bike dyno
« on: February 05, 2009, 02:44:53 PM »
It's a Dynojet 250i with steady state eddy current load control brake, dual high speed cooling fans, remote control wheel clamp and power carraige, full size ramp that doubles as 60" tall protective wall, electric start drum to fire up kickstart & starterless bikes, 4 channel data-aq system including boost and fuel pressure sensors (in addition to rpm & air-fuel logging), and a ceiling mount retractable exhaust system... installed & running well.

So... out with the old:

And... in with the new:

Will be installing remote video camera from the dyno area to the showroom for video recording and customer veiwing next.

Here's the first two bikes on it... one's a run through the gears on my Ironhead Sportster and the other is a full pull on Deb's stock engined nitrous Hayabusa (did a bunch of other types of pulls on each bike, but these I turned the video camera on for).

We're entering our 9th year for Deb and I doing this together since meeting at Maxton in 2000, so will be nice to get this under my belt this season (bit of a change from my old dyno), and go into our first decade next year with something new that was not a big part of our plan early on in the game.

Thanks to all the positive influences both around us and in our life...
Life is good,
Todd (dang I love this job)

Offline Commuta_Busa

Re: New bike dyno
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 03:06:07 PM »
Congrats Todd & Deb  :cheers: damn that thing sure looks purdy

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 03:19:36 PM »
Man, that's a nice setup Todd  :cheers: Congrats! I wish I lived closer, so I could have you test my bike on it :-D
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline hayaboosta

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 05:00:10 PM »
Congrats! You two will be happy with your set up.  Take good care of the fans, the adjusting clamps and locking mechanisms will go south quickly. 
200 MPH Club X 7
Bonneville  "Naked"
 El Mirage    "Naked"
  Maxton       "Naked"
   Mojave        "Naked"
    Loring          "Naked"
     Bub 201       "Naked"
      Texas           "Clothed" (by accident)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 05:06:55 PM »
Thanks for including the photo of me and the helicopter, Todd, in the shots you've posted.  Oh, yeah -- nice dyno.  Corngratulations once again.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 06:11:11 PM »
keep your sniffer clean every bike as i will go south pretty fast
kent

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:10:35 PM »
Thanks guys, much appreciatted. It was a big decision for us along with the division, direction and future of the shop.

You know Jon, I hung you up there over 5 years ago and you've made it into many shots taken around the shop as has Dennis in the pic below. I figured it was a very appropriatte place for you to be in  good company with Billly telling everyone (with his one finger salute) how freedom to travel the country is what it is all about.

Seriously, I really like that photo a lot, not to mention what the inscriptions on it mean to me. And as much as I don't want it to leave the shop... Deb and I were just discussing about it (and a couple others here), making it's way to our LSR hallway at the house. Just not sure I want to give it up though.
Todd

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 03:29:05 PM »
  electric starter and remote controls. wow.
that sure seems top of the line.
  who is character on left in night shot w/ forklift?

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »
Me driving the lift, John that works for me doing the dyno surfing, and your buddy (our hero) Todd Brooks playing mild manner Site Foreman.

Let me tell you a small part of nite one (since you've asked about our small town but big bellied friend)................

On a 24 foot gooseneck trailer I brought 4 crates weighing a total of 3800lbs in from Richmond at about 8 or 9pm with Busa Todd that showed up to "ride along".
<insert picture I can't seem to find at the moment here>, but lets just say it had forklift operators  Moe, Larry & Curly one moment then Laurel & Hardy the next (less the comedy act for any of them), under the employ of Yellow Freight (now known to me as "Mellow Fright").

After taking control of the situation and doing everything but comadering their lifts and "unused" radios, once they uloaded the wrong semi trailer (I think Todd said there was barbie dolls in the crate they first started to give us), we were on our way back north and never so glad to be.

Back at the ranch.............................

The forklift ran out of LP at this point

And in case you don't know, propane from a grill or just about any other bottles I have access to at that time of nite... do not have the same threads and there's no chance no matter how deep you dig in your old boxes you will not have anything to adapt it at what's about 11pm now.

Now this wouldn't be a problem you'd think because you noticed I have the 2300lb dyno crate in the shop already.

So I should just call it a nite, right?
Ohhhhh no you see.... there was 1500 lbs,

including a 950lb eddy current crate,

a 300lb ramp crate,

and a 250lb blower crate,

...still sitting on the trailer in the middle of the culdesac! 

Now - with no forklift and it getting late quick and us tiring quicker... we had to get this stuff off the flat bed and in the building before calling it a nite. Not tough on the blowers or the ramp, simply uncrate them on the trailer and carry them in the shop. The load brake on the other hand... well it was almost 1000lbs and for what it cost it certainly wasn't sitting out over nite.

Now, on to better answering your question of who that other guy is. And although he looks like he is doing absolutely nothing in the pictures (and actually wasn't doing anything much of the time - lol)... he ended up being Superman that night.

So, there was Me, John, Todd and Deb all working at about 25% capacity and we got the 1000lb crate on some 3/4" plywood and all together slid it into the bed of Todd's pickup(which was luckily the perfect height), and manuevered it close enough to the shop that we could get air hose and a bike lift out there (with a built up platform high enough) to slide it out onto the lift.

Now it was slightly down hill, but there was only room for one person behind the crate in the truck, and I had John and Deb on the far side of the bike lift to use as human cushions for my long awaited and precious cargo should it decide to not stop moving once it got started. Busa Todd was the person of choice to get behind the eddy current unit as even though he and I were both down to about 15% capacity, his 15% was a lot heavier then my 15% should he be able to get it moving at all.

Now's where the big S on his chest appeared and the cape got donned, Todd2 moved that crate onto the lift (no matter how slowly) with the grace of a worn out guy in a toughman contest throwing his last engine block over the wall knwoing he needs to win the money to put a new roof on his trailer. And it was a complete success and we all breathed easy once we got the lift back down to the ground and used every bit of energy left in us to drag it in the shop and shut the doors and make it home by 1am.

The next morning (with a new bottle of LP in hand), and the remainder of the installation time actually... we had way too many smiles and much better breathing to even try remembering anything about that first nite.

So "who was that man?" you ask.... well, so did we at about 1:30 am ;-)

Ok, the rest of the install I'll let you imagine verbally in your head should you decide to view a visual play by play and such from beginning to end here:

Singular photo version with a couple videos:
http://tinyurl.com/dy8w3b

Slideshow version of above with photos only:
http://tinyurl.com/bpclm9

Hey, you know better then to ask me a simple question Franey.  :roll:
Todd

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 09:32:56 AM »
  well, i was right figuring 'larry' was two busa.
will have to touch base w/ him soon.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
Deb and Todd, what, no gas grill? they run on the same Propane as the forklift....

OK, I know because we always used the shop forklift to take the car off of the roll around work stand and put it on the floor to roll it on the trailer to go racing.  As always, when using a LP forklift, they run out of gas when you are time constrained.  For us, usually midnight Friday, no where to get the bottle filled.  We pulled the bottle from the BBQ grill and rigged it to the forklift.  Now you know...  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
I thought Todd said he didn't have the right fitting to get from grill tank to forklift -- although those two tools do share the same very-coarse left-hand thread on our units.  Hey, he had Busa Todd as a helper.  Go back to the TV show a few weeks ago -- the one we roasted so sincerely -- and you'll see a couple of seconds of "that" Todd at the end of the long course - doing a bit of the Busa Todd happy dance.  That's the very same guy that was a hero on the above story.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »
I guess I missed that part  :-o must of scrolled past it.... however....

Ours was not a direct fit, had to mix a few parts, everything screws together somewhere.... 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »
I guess I missed that part  :-o must of scrolled past it.... however....

Ours was not a direct fit, had to mix a few parts, everything screws together somewhere

That's my favorite new saying, Bob :-D :-D
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 11:15:30 AM »
We thought of that but lacked the right set of screw together parts believe it or not. We had some extra propane hoses & T's & such that we might have been able to patch together but since we were borrowing the forklift from our landlords we didn't want to get to far out into the fabrication so we just moved on to the next solution. Better to risk trashing that which we own!  :wink: Besides, we would have missed out on all of that great fun of doing it ourselves with what we had to work with!  :-D

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: