Author Topic: Roll cage for a 1973 Nova ..  (Read 6115 times)

Offline nova man

• New folks
Roll cage for a 1973 Nova ..
« on: February 03, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »
 :? help please ....I was hoping that some one  could please tell me what roll cage is the best for a 1973 nova.. Thank you for your time Eric ... Also rule books?

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Roll cage for a 1973 Nova ..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
A rule book is where you'll want to start.  Depending on where you're racing, who's overseeing the event, how fast you plan on going, or the class your car fits into, your requirements will vary.

Welcome aboard!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 10:56:32 PM »
Nova Man, What class and engine are you planing on?
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline nova man

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 11:06:24 PM »
 As of right now i am staying   all motor i have a 350 with a two speed power glide. . I am looking at the kegs 12 point cage kit. I know its a 1 5/8 tubing . Just going to start slow. I have a lot of plans ..

Offline Geo

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2009, 11:21:37 PM »
Check with Morrison. They did a fantastic job on my cage and were wonderful to deal with.

Geo

Offline nova man

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 11:26:54 PM »
Thanks a lot .... :-D

Offline nova man

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 08:03:24 AM »
I just got done looking at that web page.. They do some great work.. I was hoping to find some one close to AL. I just need to keep looking ..   Thanks for the help.. Eric

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 10:14:36 AM »
You might try Johnson Hot Rods, they are around Huntsville. They run a very fast Caddy at Bonneville.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

saltfever

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
Check with Morrison. They did a fantastic job on my cage and were wonderful to deal with.
Geo: Was that a custom fab in-house, or off-the-shelf tubing delivered to your door? What kind of car?
Thanks . . . :-)

Offline Geo

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
saltfever,

It was a custom bend by Morrison using my measurements on their spec sheets.  We filled out the sheets and they sent us drawings for review.  After a few calls, emails and 3rd checks after sleeping on it we had bent and straight tube shipped to us to fit in the 94 Jaguar XJS.  See the cage photos on the build under American Jaguar    http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,3430.15.html

Kevin Kosir 1-888-640-1506 was great to work with and helped us through my first design and install.

I went with Morrison because they were the only ones who could do the math and compute the angles from our measurement points.  High school level stuff.  There is no way to correctly figure angles without some tube in place.  Turns out they make great pieces of metal.

They do make mass produced cages for many cars that are less than the custom build I got.  Still not that expensive.  Shipping was not expensive either.

Geo

saltfever

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 12:02:36 AM »
Geo: Thank you for the great information and personal experience. I have talked to them and have seen their top quality craftmanship at various car shows. However, I always assumed their costs might be out of my league. I am encouraged by your positive comments and will give them a call.

FYI to others:  BendTech Pro is a tube bending program that will do all the geometry for you, from pick-points you provide and create a 2D drawing. I have seen it as low as $240 on the web. However, I think I would rather put that $240 into tubing and fab costs for a onetime build. Many thanks Geo, for your feedback.   :-)