Author Topic: Looking at some Bike Options  (Read 8164 times)

Offline MiltonP

Looking at some Bike Options
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:08:27 PM »
I have been looking at possibly moving over to bikes later this year or next year and have a questions after browsing the shops and the rules/records.

1 - Does BUB follow the SCTA class breakdown?  Had a little trouble deciphering there website. 

2 - Are we the only organization that has seperate 2 stroke records?

3 - I have a great Ducati shop nearby.  They pretty much said don't bother running Ducatis since their 2's don't stand a chance against the inline 4's.  Does the same apply to running a Triumph inline 3, more specifically the 953 Speed triple?  Would that be an exercise only in gaining speed versus being potentially chase records?

4 - Any thoughts on good choices for running in the 500cc class initially as the 600cc and up speeds rise dramatically?

5 - Would my current car number 9201 transfer over to a bike or would I need a new bike number?  I may continue to run both but only one or the other at a event.

6 - For those that have run different riders on their bikes, how much speed differential have you seen between say a 160lb and 210lb rider?  Does the same difference usually apply to the salt?

OK, I've probably used my allotment of questions so fire away.  Thanks.  :cheers:

Offline Larry Forstall

Re: Looking at some Bike Options
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:52:13 PM »
Milton: Welcome to the bike side. Much easier to transport, just as much fun and just as expensive as cars. BUB uses AMA and FIM classifications which are similar but not identical to the SCTA. Yes ECTA is the only organization to separate two strokes. For maximum performance the more cylinders the better so if you are serious about records an inline Japanese four is best. However all the records are difficult as most take that same path. In the 500cc class your alternate choices could be a Honda V4 Interceptor or a Suzuki RG500 two-stroke. The problem is that you are then working with 20yo technology. I would find a modern 600-4 (must be a million for sale cheap) and reduce it's displacement to 500. Once you start putting money into a project it is best to use something that can be made competitive. Probably easier to get a separate bike number, how about 9202 ? I am sorry to say this but a 160lb rider can set records, 200+ is too big a handicap, particularly on smaller bikes. The exception might be at Bonneville with extreme bodywork. Hope I haven't scared you too much, keep asking questions there is something that will work for you.    Larry

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:09:12 PM »
Larry for got to mention that a log book is required for each vehicle and probably the number as well.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:52:04 PM »
So what I should do then is build it, enjoy whatever speed my beer gut will allow and then let Murf try to set a record on it!  :-D

Continued browsing shops this afternoon and ran across a '01 GSXR750 with 8"drag extensions and nitrous at what appears to be a sweet price since the guy who took it on trade just wants it out of there.  Not as pretty as that Speed Triple but a more practical platform.  I also stopped by Skip's Speed Shop where 'one of us' apparently has a turbo build in progress.  Looks like they do some very Harley work.  There is a HD powered sprint car in the shop that wasn't allowed to run with the 650cc microsprints.  Maybe we need a 2nd sprint car to go with the small block red one from NY.

The guy in the shop was also talking about how Banshees have become real popular for drag racing with folks lowering and extending them.  He had started a 350cc project but it has stalled due to other work.  He said it was hitting 100 as is and was not twitchy at all as far as handling despite not being lengthened yet.  Pretty sure we don't have a class that would allow them but maybe one could form the basis for a bike powered lakester of some sort.  Goinfg to read up on them a little this afternoon.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »
The AMA rule book can be down loaded off the Bub website ... It is similar to ECTA but there are differences ... example seat/tail piece can only be 36" high AMA -- 40"ECTA ... better to read and understand the rule book before you build it.
Joe

Offline maj

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 04:19:51 PM »
A 500cc class record could probably be done with a honda cx500 turbo. :wink:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 05:23:53 PM »
That was one ugly motor (500cx honda)  What years did they make those 80 to 85 ??  Cant remember.

My old CB 550 fout K  did go over 100mph (did have cam, carb and exhaust work however)
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

McRat

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
While they are now approaching collector status, the old H1 Kawasaki's (500cc triples) could be tweaked pretty high for drag use.  Primitive piston port design actually works well at high RPM with the right expansion chamber design. 

The RG500 though...    I'm thinking they tuned those engines past 120hp for roadracing versions?  That would be hard to touch in a NA 500cc gas engine.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »
The Suzuki " water buffalo" was a good running and reliable 2 stroke.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

McRat

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:58:25 PM »
Water buffalos were great 750cc triples, but were overshadowed by the H2 750 Kaw which had a solid weight advantage and more hop-up stuff available.  While not remarkable by today's standards, I watched a "tuned-up" H2 Kaw run high 9 sec ET's at OCIR back in the '70s.  My poor little stock H1 never even got out of the 12's (actually fast back then for a stock bike), but some were running them to low 11's with all the tricks.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
The only problem with the H1 and H2 is you never knew when they were going to try to spit you off, for no good reason.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

McRat

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 07:02:38 PM »
The only problem with the H1 and H2 is you never knew when they were going to try to spit you off, for no good reason.

Well, you weren't SUPPOSED to try and go around corners!  :D 

The brakes were nothing to write home about either.  Nor the mileage.  Nor the comfort...  Uh...  They did great wheelie though!

Offline jdincau

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 07:03:27 PM »
It sure was exciting to watch those Kawasaki triples snake their way through turns 8 and 9 at Willow springs though.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:05:29 PM »
Fred V,

I agree, the H1 and H2 Kawa's  had big power for the day, but had very bad manners.. There was a reason they came stock with friction stlye sterring stabalizers !!!!!  Head shake/tank slappers was a commom occurance between 90 and 100,,, if you had the  b!@#..  and hung on you could drivepower through the the wobble.

I had a few of them and never seemed to get fully comfortale with the rude handling... but man they made mean drag bike, but for high speed long straights and the twistie's... hmm not so great in my book.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 07:08:09 PM »
McRat, 

I also think Suzuki had a 900cc water cooled two stroke tripple as well...( I may be wrong but thought the 900 was the "water buffalo")  maybe both called that, or maybe I recall the 900 incorrectly ??

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT