Author Topic: ECTA Newb on 2 wheels  (Read 4073 times)

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
ECTA Newb on 2 wheels
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:56:34 AM »
Ill recap from what I posted in the introduction thread. My name is Kevin, im a bit of a gear head and I work for good ole Uncle Sam in his Air Force as a C-17A crew chief. Been in for 9.5 years, im a e-5 with a line number for e-6. I started riding in 2004 on a 636. I was way too cramped on that bike, as im 6'4''. So I sold the bike to a shorter friend.  :cheers:

Ive been having the itch to hit the mile, since the middle of 2007. But funds, bike prep, and time have kept me from the short travel down I95 from Joursey.

So I should probably tell you all what I am working with here: I have a 2006 ZX14. It has a few easy bolt ons. M4 slip ons, PC3 with the internet provided map, flies removed, BMC race filter, GPR dampner, Galfer braided brake/clutch lines, puig double bubble wind screen, frame sliders, turn buckle rear lowing links, Brocks fronk lowering caliper mounts, metal valve stems installed, metal full length chain guard, stock Batlax tires, stock wheels, mirror block offs, speedo healer, Raptor shift light, PMR kill switch, APE cam chain tentioner.

I am also looking at these mods before heading down: TRE, Sprocket change 18/42 or 43, adjustable ignition rotor, new air filter cover, engine ice coolant, red line oil, modifing another seat I have to sit lower, electric shifter, kill box.

Things I still have to do to myself and the bike: Safety wire all of the required components, apply for my numbers, get a membership, and register for April, put on my numbers, new boots, chest/back protector, hip protector. I also need to find a ride there, or borrow a buddies truck.

The reason, why I am headed to Maxton, the 1/4 mile is too short! And I cant go FAST on public roads, as it is unsafe and I dont want to get hurt or hurt someone else. My best time at the track was a 10.02 @147. My goal is to have fun, get to know the bike, know myself at speed, get to know the LSR crowd, and have fun. I hope to get to the April meet to get certified and work from there through out the year.

Offline Speed Limit 1000

Re: ECTA Newb on 2 wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:07:05 AM »
Kevin,
It was nice to meet you in the Baltimore Washington International airport today and help you welcome home your troops. I hope you follow your dreams and enjoy LSR. You will find a lot of people that will fuel your passion for speed. Hope to see you at the Salt some day.
John
 USAF Msgt. Ret.   
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:15:13 PM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

dwarner

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:08:19 PM »
Kevin,

Welcome to LSR & Maxton. Thank you for your service to our country.

DW

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 09:55:50 PM »
Kevin,

Welcome,,, I am positive you will find 99.9% of the world wide LSR crowd to be GREAT,,, The Maxton crew is 1000% awesome,,,, they will help you and welcome you.... Good Luck and see you in April.

Charles

(FYI  go Air Force,,, I use to work at SJAFB in Goldsboro, NC  back in the early 80's yep when they had TAC and SAC there.. It was cool seeing those B52's come in during crosswinds,,,)
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 1mile14

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 10:40:09 PM »
Thanks for the welcome fellas.
John it was great meeting you, and it was quite a coincidence that you were here on landracing, and then I just happened to sit down and log onto the site. It was a pleasure to hear your stories, it sure made the time go by quick!

dwarner--thank you, but the guys on the ground deserve all the credit, most of us air force guys have it easy, and rarely have to deal with what the Army or Marines have to go through. Back when I was a full time flying crew chief, it was always a great feeling transporting those guys out of country and back to the states.

Cajun kid--Im looking forward to April, its been some time coming to this point. Ive read alot about the people of maxton and how great they are. I hope to show up ready to rock. But im a sponge when it comes to info. Hopefully I can get some advice and helpful tips and tricks while there!

Ill be calling for my numbers on monday, and hopefully have the paper work sent out next week.

Offline sabat

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 12:12:36 AM »
Welcome Kevin, and thanks for your service. I started racing a 2006 ZX10 at Maxton in June of 2007, and have only missed a few meets since. The people are great, and the racing is addictive. Your bike is very capable, and you should be able to break 200 with either a $trong motor, or a safe shot of nitrous. Lots of help here, and other bike-specific boards I can suggest if you like. -Dean

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 09:50:04 AM »
Thanks for the welcome fellas.
John it was great meeting you, and it was quite a coincidence that you were here on landracing, and then I just happened to sit down and log onto the site. It was a pleasure to hear your stories, it sure made the time go by quick!

Kevin, looks like you are starting off on the wrong foot... ya know even when Johnboy is alone he is keeping bad company.....  :-D  :roll:
He usually skips the part where they take him to jail.... I spent 3 of my last 4 hours in the USAF behind bars in the Sky Cop lock up with Johnboy and a few of our closest friends....  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »

[/quote]

Kevin, looks like you are starting off on the wrong foot... ya know even when Johnboy is alone he is keeping bad company.....  :-D  :roll:
He usually skips the part where they take him to jail.... I spent 3 of my last 4 hours in the USAF behind bars in the Sky Cop lock up with Johnboy and a few of our closest friends....  :-D
[/quote]

:cheers:     Yep the good old days. :-o Good thing the commander loved us. :evil:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 12:27:37 AM by Speed Limit 1000 »
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 11:44:21 AM »
hows that great saying go "you can tell how good a frind you have when they are setting next to you in jail saying man that was fun!"
kent

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:01:23 PM »
Yep, no one we knew could get us out but the commander because they were in jail with us.  It was a good time 'cept for the bars on the doors.... Johnboy called to remind me that I was already familiar with that particular jail...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O