Author Topic: Ticket to Utah.  (Read 9208 times)

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
Ticket to Utah.
« on: January 30, 2009, 03:40:48 PM »
I have a round trip ticket to anywhere in the USA . So where would a land racer want to go ? UTAH!!
How about August ?
HA  I am going to go to Bonneville :-D . When should I go? The 8-14 Th of August is speed week . But Should I go some other time? When do the most ECTA people go to the salt? I guess that is my question.
 WOO  I am excited.And no I wont have my motorcycle. But I will have my tent. no fire ants out there.
Thank you to all the volunteers

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
Re: Ticket to Utah.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2009, 04:00:32 PM »
If you're only going to do one event or if it's your first even... Absolutely make it Speedweek.
Best people, best vehicles and best way to experience your first memory of the salt in my opinion!

Very cool to her Eric... Congrats. I can still smell the moisture and feel the stillness in the air from my first step on the salt last year. I can't imagine it not being Speedweek or not happening with those that helped Deb and I share in such a great first experience (there's more but, Jon, Nancy, Freud, Stainless, Gowetski, Robert, Glen, Scott, Ellen, Keith, Tonya and Dan are all etched in my mind like the salt that was in my eyes that first few seconds). 

You always remember your first time, so you might as well choose the most experienced one that will have ya! ;-)
Todd
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:02:49 PM by narider »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »
Todd is totally correct, speed week and a camera plus a note pad. The program is very important as well. Enjoy the trip.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »
Speedweek hands down if your going as a spectator. has 3 to 5 times as many cars as the other events. Now if your racing for the first time the other venues may be better but for your first spectator event I would choose Speedweek.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 05:21:58 PM »
Eric, do what you can to find someone with which you can hang around -- someone that's been there a couple of times.  You'll probably find more of the background stuff that you'd otherwise miss -- things like eating at the Salt Flats Cafe and the Red Flame, and pointers on when to be at the Bend in the Road ( the big area where the camping is free and so are the background noises at night, and also where Salt Talks happens on the Sunday of SpeedWeek - this year the ninth of August).  If you're flying -- will you rent a car in SLC and drive out to the Salt?  If so -- get your car at Rent-a-Wreck in SLC.  They don't mind having their vehicles on the salt -- other rental agencies DO mind, and may charge you a big bundle if you take your car there against their wishes.

And on and on -- there are zillions of tips that we'll be glad to offer to you to make your first visit even more enjoyable 0- and memorable.  We look forward to seeing you on the Salt!
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 06:54:57 PM »
Sweet! You're going to have so much fun & be so much fun!! I can see you now! Definitely do Speed Week!  :cheers:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
 The week of speed week is the same week my wife is riding a 750 miles nonstop on bicycle in Canada. How about BUB that is later in the month? Is any one going to that?I am a little bummed.I wanted to go to speed week.But I am a motorcycle guy so BUB will be awesome.Thanks for the advice on the car Slim.

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 07:13:23 PM »
From what I understand, the BUB meet will be held August 30th through September 3rd.
Sorry to hear you'll be missing Speed Week.

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

bak189

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
If your a M/C guy.....the BUB is the place to go......
PLUS++++++++++it is a lot easier to get a hotel room in Wendover.......................................................
Stop by and see us (sidecar #1194) free water
during race time..........and beer at days end.......

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 09:38:54 PM »
A hotel is high livin for me but I think it might be for the best if the weather turns bad. I don't mind the tent .
I will come buy and have a look .I love side cars.  Thanks.
I will do speed week next year .And bring my bike. 
That way I can make this year like a scouting mission :cheers:

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2009, 12:00:06 AM »
I did World of speed as my first event last year.  Smaller event but still plenty to see along with some of the more unusual stuff running on the mile course.  Hotels were half the cost of speedweek and i never had to wait for a seat at the bar at the Black and White so i sure can't complain.  I had a great time and got the lay of the land.

I will be attending Speedweek for the first time this year and expect life to be a bit more hectic and uncomfortable as in hot and crowded but can't wait to see it.  I am mostly concerned that my buddies who aren't fully committed to LSR will get 'pissy' by day 3 and start yacking about air conditioned diversions.  Nothing a rental car in their name won't fix!  :evil:

landracing

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2009, 12:29:45 AM »
If your a M/C guy.....the BUB is the place to go......

Your kidding right??? Well I could agree on that its a motorcycle only event... And you can see some illegal SCTA bikes... And you can see alot of illegal BUB AMA bikes... Speedweek will always be the Epitome of the sport with the most interesting bikes in LSR...

And if you want the full effect of a properly run meet with radio communications, cb communications,  a full AM radio broadcast great organization of the event and miles of pits of everything you could possibly want to see then Speedweek is the answer. There is NO other that can lay claim the best event on the salt, There are close seconds like World of Speed and World Finals.

JonAmo

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:35:27 AM by landracing »

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2009, 12:41:59 AM »
Illegal bothers me as long as it doesn't mean UNSAFE! Or is this a subtle slam at MOTHER organization SCTA members who maybe race illegal?

SHAME! On them (for racing illegal) and  on YOU for THINKING that.

I'm sure that statement, Jon, though POSSIBLY true, was little bit tongue in cheek.

My opinion is as long as there's a benevolent dictator approach to tech inspection to make sure the the entered racer has  the proper body protection (His/Hers), that all nuts and bolts are tight and that what applies to emergency shutdown levers and switches, wheels and tires  are copa-setic etc., let 'em have at it.

But then, if they set/break a record, make sure they're held to the rules to the max.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 01:13:51 AM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:11 AM »
Illegal bothers me as long as it doesn't mean UNSAFE! Or is this a subtle slam at MOTHER organization SCTA members who maybe race illegal?

SHAME! On them (for racing illegal) and  on YOU for THINKING that.

I'm sure that statement, Jon, though POSSIBLY true, was little bit tongue in cheek.

My opinion is as long as there's a benevolent dictator approach to tech inspection to make sure the the entered racer has  the proper body protection (His/Hers), that all nuts and bolts are tight and that what applies to emergency shutdown levers and switches, wheels and tires  are copa-setic etc., let 'em have at it.

But then, if they set/break a record, make sure they're held to the rules to the max.

I read what he said to mean that they would be illegal to run at a SCTA event,

Sum

bak189

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 12:21:37 PM »
Hey Amo, I won't bother to dignify your post with a reply.................................................................

We all know where you are comming from!!!

RacerX....see you at the BUB..................................