Author Topic: Maxton Belly Tanker  (Read 34691 times)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Maxton Belly Tanker
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2009, 09:44:14 AM »
Where in hell are we going to get a Realto Reliant rear axle? ... I doubt there 2 of them in the US ... Joe

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2009, 09:47:24 AM »
Where in hell are we going to get a Realto Reliant rear axle? ... I doubt there 2 of them in the US ... Joe

LOL, I'm sure there are plenty of Corolla axles
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2009, 09:52:17 AM »
Corolla is the most produce model of any car ever ... That should be a bit easier to find then an English 3 wheeler.
Joe

Offline JimL

« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2009, 10:49:50 AM »
I've heard of a trick where the VW guys weld the spider housing shut, with a bung added,  and fill it with gear oil, then run it till it drops.  You could do sorta' the same thing with old Japan axle, but just run some grease in the spider gears and shaft.  There won't be a lot of diff action unless a tire is spinning a lot, and the grease will be thrown against the inside of the housing.  I don't think you'd need to worry about sealing the axle shafts into the side gears.

JimL

Offline oz

• Geordie Power.
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2009, 11:07:36 AM »
I Thought getting hold of one of those may be a prolem I could have a look over here if that was the way you wanted to go but shipping would probably cost an arm and a leg. Volvo also do an Axle that we used to use with outboard discs but i cant for the life of me remember the model that it came from I can look into it if you like.
You Could always go for a live axle and just machine bearing carriers but you would probably have to make the A arms to suit "loads more work"
giz a shout if you would like me to have a look about.

Cheers Oz
Newcastle born and bred a City built on Coal and Steel and a people built of stronger stuff

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2009, 12:40:54 PM »
you guys crack me up...hey the sky's gonna fall! how should i over engineer an umbrella?
Kent

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2009, 01:43:02 PM »
Here's  question, do you need a diff for just straight line racing? How about just a solid axle that comes apart for sprocket changes? I was thinking about just a cheap, lightweight axle housing with all the internals removed and the hubs and whatever else scavanged to use where we can. Can you run on the concrete and asphalt at Maxton with a solid rear axle?
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2009, 02:12:30 PM »
straight axle Randy...no more, no less...
kent

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2009, 02:23:38 PM »
Just curious?  With suspension or without?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2009, 03:03:14 PM »
with a motorcycle motor you will definitely need suspension cuz the shock loads will damage trans gears and rip the output shaft out of the cases

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »
I like the live axle idea ... keep it simple ... single inboard brake ... the after market trike axle looks good but for $3k it would be fairly easy to fab out at a quarter the cost.

Joe

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2009, 04:29:11 PM »
How about looking at sprint car or more likely midget rear ends? They're a single shaft from one end to the other and relatively inexpensive. You wouldn't necessarily need the housing.

Pete

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2009, 05:45:51 PM »
What do the Dwarf/Legend cars run in the back? I know the run MC engines.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »
The Jacksonville dwarf cars ran Yamaha motorcycle drive shaft engines with a toyota rear axle ... Joe