Author Topic: Maxton Belly Tanker  (Read 34692 times)

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
Maxton Belly Tanker
« on: January 29, 2009, 03:37:12 PM »
I'm gonna need some help here. I'm a motorcycle guy that's gonna try my hand at 4 wheels. I figured a small belly tanker was as close to 2 wheels as I can get, so Joe Daly and I are gonna build a tank.
I'm open to any suggestions, advice, recommendations, etc.

Here's our plan so far...
We will try to locate a real tank, but we'll probably end up with a fiberglass P38 replica. I have a 2005 GSXR motor setting in my shop, so we will probably run in the J/GL class.

We are planning on running a chain driven live axle in the rear and suspension is a must front and rear since we are building for Maxton. I've been looking at early Ford axles for the front.

I need a Suzuki tank just to get this engine running on the test stand, so I'll be watching eBay for one.

I was thinking of using my existing Suzuki hand controls on the steering just to make things simple. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
Randy
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Maxton Belly Tanker
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 05:20:52 PM »
Randy, try Suzukihayabusa.org for the tank,There is a lot of gixxer stuff there.
                                                                                                              Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »
Thanks Fred, I'll check it out.
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:14:53 AM »
Randy, don't spend money on a tank, yes the stunters dent up a lot of them, but the others buy them up and they are a little expensive to ship.  Why not just get a bosch or walbro and a regulator since you will need those later for the car.  Build or buy a fuel cell (you'll need that too) and you won't be wasting a lot of your racing cash. 
I have a home-made tank and probably a stock pump I am not using from the race bike, if you want to borrow it I'll ship it to you for shipping expenses but I'll need the pump back for speedweek.  PM me.
You will also need to defeat a few safety items and the anti-theft to make it run outside the bike.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 11:13:44 AM »
Thanks stainless, PM sent.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 11:55:27 AM »
Depending on driver size perhaps you should consider a more modern tank.Years agoe I saw an F-100 tank with an Model B engine. An A-10 tank set a record at Bonneville in Aug with an inline Mercedes and blower.
We am building a lakester and will build a backengined dragster style body. Shipping a tank can be a very
expensive project 1-2X the cost of the tank.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 12:53:59 PM »
I was thinking of using my existing Suzuki hand controls on the steering just to make things simple. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated

With controls on a steering wheel it will prevent you from having a removable wheel, may not be a big deal also you will not be able to turn the wheel more than about 280 degrees.

I know others have put controls on wheels but I dont like the idea of the throttle on the wheel. Once the car gets going you dont need to use the clutch to shift but trying to steer and meter the throttle (and it is a high ratio) will make things busy.

I would use a clutch and throttle peddle and it is easy to integrate them to a MC motor.
Just my 2 cents.
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Eyeball

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 01:11:52 PM »
I ordered a Rod and Race P38 tank and had it shipped from WV to MN. I did pick it up at the terminal here in town but shipping was only $290.00 and this was just in December. I had quotes from other companies that were only one state away that were over $1000.00 so it pays to shop around. Mine was shipped via Estes Trucking.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
I keep mentioning my shipper worth a try:  www.uship.com  It's like an eBay for shipping in the way that it works.  Go to their website and see what they do - before next time you need something shipped.  I've found their prices to be good every time, and the service was dandy, too -- maybe better than most trucking companies.  And -- Uship will pick up and deliver from your door and to your door.  They can ship to a loading dock -- they can ship to anything.  The "bid" form asks you if you're shipping to a dock or a house or what - so the bidders know what type of truck will be needed to do the load.

I'm not knocking the traditional trucking firms -- just trying to let others know that there is a little-known option worth checking.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
Depending on driver size perhaps you should consider a more modern tank.Years agoe I saw an F-100 tank with an Model B engine. An A-10 tank set a record at Bonneville in Aug with an inline Mercedes and blower.
We am building a lakester and will build a backengined dragster style body. Shipping a tank can be a very
expensive project 1-2X the cost of the tank.

We will be open to just about any tank, but my first choice was the P-38 tank or replica just because I like the "classic" style. I am retired, so I can get drive to pick one up for just the cost of gas.

With controls on a steering wheel it will prevent you from having a removable wheel, may not be a big deal also you will not be able to turn the wheel more than about 280 degrees.

I know others have put controls on wheels but I dont like the idea of the throttle on the wheel. Once the car gets going you dont need to use the clutch to shift but trying to steer and meter the throttle (and it is a high ratio) will make things busy.

I would use a clutch and throttle peddle and it is easy to integrate them to a MC motor.
Just my 2 cents.

All good points to consider JH, thanks
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
I ordered a Rod and Race P38 tank and had it shipped from WV to MN. I did pick it up at the terminal here in town but shipping was only $290.00 and this was just in December. I had quotes from other companies that were only one state away that were over $1000.00 so it pays to shop around. Mine was shipped via Estes Trucking.

How is that Rod and Race P38 tank? Are you happy with the quality? Could you post some pics of it here?
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
I keep mentioning my shipper worth a try:  www.uship.com  It's like an eBay for shipping in the way that it works.  Go to their website and see what they do - before next time you need something shipped.  I've found their prices to be good every time, and the service was dandy, too -- maybe better than most trucking companies.  And -- Uship will pick up and deliver from your door and to your door.  They can ship to a loading dock -- they can ship to anything.  The "bid" form asks you if you're shipping to a dock or a house or what - so the bidders know what type of truck will be needed to do the load.

I'm not knocking the traditional trucking firms -- just trying to let others know that there is a little-known option worth checking.

I will check into this if I need to ship Jon, thanks.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 05:40:29 PM »
I spent the last two days chasing the wiring and fitting all the different parts together that I have aquired for this motor. The controls and battery are mounted on the test stand, all the wiring checks out and I have power to the fuel pump and spark when the starter motor is run. She is ready to start as soon as the fuel tank comes in. After spending 2 years aquiring all the parts, I can't wait to hear it run!

http://www.frsengineering.com/bt2.jpg
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline Eyeball

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 10:25:51 PM »

How is that Rod and Race P38 tank? Are you happy with the quality? Could you post some pics of it here?

Here are a few pics of it. I honestly do not know anything about glass but it seems fine to me.

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 10:32:11 PM »
Thanks for the pics.
www.frsengineering.com
#765 A/G 650cc