Author Topic: Holes  (Read 18590 times)

Offline willieworld

Holes
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:43:47 AM »
I'd like to start this site with some very basic stuff. It will probably be a little boring for most of you, but I hear alot of people say that I can't build that or I don't understand all that. Well I think you can. I'll just start with the basics and we'll go from there.
Here goes....
I think the first thing that we are going to do is drill some holes. We are going to do a random pattern of holes in one piece of material and make an exact duplicate. And just to throw in a curve we are going to do a slot. This type of fabrication can be used for motor mount plates for mounting just about anything. Alot of brackets can be purchased at your local auto part store, farm implement stores. But sometimes you just can't buy it you just have to make it or have someone make it for you. Most of the stuff I am going to make on this site will be made with your basic tools.
Ok Lets burn rubber..........

To start with I drilled some random holes on a piece of 1/8th inch steel. The first thing you want to do is center punch where you want the center of each hole. Start drilling a hole with a small drill bit and work your way up to the bigger size. Its more accurate that way. Lightly countersink each hole to deburr it. I am posting some pics in order.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 04:00:56 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:03:01 AM »
I use a felt marker to stain the material so that I can scribe a line. You can buy some dye but felt markers are cheaper and they come in different colors. The next thing you want to do is cut along the lines from one hole to the other and you'll have a slot. I use a cut off wheel and air tool, but you could use a file or hacksaw blade. Here some pics...
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 03:04:12 AM »
one more pic of the finished slot
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 03:11:39 AM »
We are going to take another piece of metal about the same size as the first one. Then we are going to clamp them together and take a transfer punch and punch through the existing holes and put center punch marks on the plate with no holes. Then we are going to drill that plate just like we did the first one. And lay out the slot and cut it out like we did the one on the first plate. Posting more pics.
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »
more pics
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 03:18:29 AM »
We are going to cut one piece out on the bandsaw and we will use it for a pattern. Mark the other piece and cut it out and hopefully we'll have two pieces, although handmade, should be the same. More pics...
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 03:21:09 AM »
Well hopefully, we have two pieces that match. The way to find out is put some bolts through them. Here are some more pics....
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

Holes
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 03:25:00 AM »
We made it through that one. The posting actually took longer than the fabrication did. The brackets can still be sanded, polished, chromed or whatever. These brackets weren't for anything I just make them for this post.
Willie Buchta

ps if anyone has any questions let me know and i will post here   willieworld@hotmail.com
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 03:32:39 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline sheribuchta

Re: Holes
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:34:53 AM »
Here's another kind of hole. It's a countersunk hole. It's used to keep the bolts flush with the surface. You just drill a hole till the shank of the bolt fits through it. And then with a countersinking tool that matches the angle of the underside of the bolt head you countersink the hole until the head of the bolt is flush with the surface. Here's some pics.

Willie Buchta
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 02:47:34 PM by sheribuchta »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
Here is another kind of hole .Its a stepped hole and used for setting the head of a bolt or allen flush with the outer surface. The first thing is to drill down a ways with a regular drill then drill on down with an end mill so that the bottom of the hole is square with the bore . Drill just deep enough to make the head flush. Here are some pics---before---drilling with a drill bit---drilling with a end mill--and after---  thanks for your patience                                                   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 09:40:05 PM »
Here are the rest of the pics.
Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2009, 12:46:14 AM »
Someone wrote about drilling holes in thin sheet metal. I lost their email but this is how it works and doesn't work. After you center punch the material you can use a series of drill bits to make the hole as big as you want. But the danger is everytime you drill the hole a little bigger it seems to walk. And if you try to use too big of a drill bit, it seems to drill a five sided hole. So the way to do it right with a drill press is either clamp the metal down and use a series of drill bits or use a step drill. The nice thing about a step drill is it always drills the new hole off the center of the old hole. So no matter how big the hole is, its always centered with the center punch mark that you made originally. Good source of step drills is Harbor freight. I usually by the cheap ones. They work about the same. Hopefully this will be the last post in holes. Unless anybody has any more suggestions.  I think we about covered the hole thing. Then I will probably get through the tool thing and then I will go ahead and start building stuff. There are some pics enclosed. Thanks to whoever sent me the letter about step drills.

i would like to add, since holes have a lot to do with a drill press, to clamp your material in a vise or to your drill press table. Don't wear gloves or loose clothing around the drill press. Happy motoring.

Willie Buchta

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:57:30 AM by willieworld »
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2009, 12:48:47 AM »
more pics

Willie Buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline willieworld

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2009, 12:49:47 AM »