Author Topic: Willie's Builds  (Read 20502 times)

Offline joea

Re: Willie's Builds
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
maguro....the only way that could be construed as non-family oriented
is if you try such a manuever with someone other than your spouse.....

i try to keep things lsr oriented thus the "bonneville" approach....

..folks like Willie and Max...are such phenomenal....fabrication/artists....I can
only hope that we are able to continue to stay appraised of their
tremendous skills....

Offline pookie

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2009, 11:55:12 PM »
Ooh Great learned ones, I have a question from the peanut gallery. If Mr. Willies building techniques are so "DANGEROUS", how is it that he passes the safety tech inspection at El Mirage and Bonneville, and then sets records in his chosen venue? If I may, one more question, How "safe" would the critics on this thread say "Dean of LA " bike is.  I looked for" LA"s build diary, none to be found. I watched Mr. Riches electric  bike build with much interest, but I really don't think he would have appreciated any input on the build from anyone, safe or not. Why, because it was his,  not anyone else's, and he didn't ask for help or input from anyone on this site , to my knowledge. I had a very interesting talk today, with a well known  car & bike streamliner builder, and he said to me about this thread, opinions are like belly buttons everybody  has one. You can't take one thing from a car or bike and try to make it work in another build. It is the total design that will determine if it will work. In Mr. Willies' build thread we don't have to accept everything he does as the final word, & i am sure he is sharing his knowledge in that vein. I find it hard to believe that ANYONE could take umbrage with what Mr. Willie is trying to do for his fellow LSRacers. From an age long ago, this quote"What Fools These Mortals Be." Truer words were never spoken. Mike R.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Information
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »
pookie,

I will only address the Electric bike as I have experience with it as I teched it as well as Tom, the bike was built in less than two weeks and was put together better than some two year projects, Kent's bike did not pass tech the first attempt as it needed a very minor adjustment and five minutes later it was ready to run.

That was done and poof:::: instant record!

Kent's bike was well thought out from his and Randy's previous experience and the results were spectacular...From what the Skittles flusher learned on those two passes he is already making dramatic changes to the bike before it will run again because what worked at 125mph may not work at 150-175-200+  Like the starters say..go fast..be safe..have fun ! !

J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2009, 10:38:28 AM »
Personally I think a lot of you are totally missing one important fact and that is that this is Jon's site just like my site is mine and being that Jon pays the bills to keep it on the internet it is totally his to do as he sees fit. 

There are "no" universal rules that requires him to do any certain thing with the site.  It can be a "public" forum in your eyes, but in reality that is just a falsehood, it is a forum paid for and maintained by Jon.  He can do anything he wants with it.  He can decide what he wants on the forum, who can post on it and can dictate the Dodge language if he wants.

Just as you have the right to ignore my post you also have the right to ignore the site.  If you contributed and don't like it, don't contribute.  If you haven't and like the site please do contribute, I will.

Knowing Jon and reading what he posted earlier on this thread I know that he wants to accommodate the majority and also wants to put out content like Willie's construction skills and techniques for I'm sure a lot of visitors to the site that don't ever even post on the site. Some of you have said that if you can't respond to Willie's techniques then people will maybe use them and endanger themselves.  Come on now I have thousands of hits on my build on my site and so do other's on their personal sites.  We don't have forums to allow people to question us.  I'm sure that people do question aspects of our builds and/or techniques, but the world continues to turn.

Give Jon a chance, give him constructive criticism, but mostly keep in mind that is "his" site, paid for by him, maintained with his time and he can put it in whatever direction he so chooses.

c ya,

Sum

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:57:32 PM by Sumner »

Offline rustyT

« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2009, 11:41:02 AM »
As far a s a ignore this thread button to those that asked, do you really have to click on this or any thread, no , you choose to, so if you dont want to see Willies way or any other thread, its simple, dont open it... Holy Chevy, for a bunch of intellegent people, you sure argue about stupid crap. Maybe you need to be out in the shop working on your own stuff insted of worrying about someone else thats trying to help others, for gods sake the guy is trying to teach some fabrication techniques, not a step by step how to build rocket ship,and if starts on that, then by all means I will be in line with you to stop him.
   Phil

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2009, 11:54:40 AM »
... Holy Chevy, for a bunch of intellegent people, you sure argue about stupid crap.
This is how you can tell it's the off season.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Geo

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:44 PM »
Signs of intelligent life!

I can't get out in the garage so I'm stuck at the computer.   :cry:  Thanks Jon for lettin willie have a spot.   :lol:  Come on willie I'm looking forward to see what you've got!

I can't make all the mistakes by my self.    Neither can I make all the good shit!

Geo

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2009, 06:02:32 PM »
I agree with Sum, if you don't like the thread, don't read it. Just mark as read and move on.

Joe

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2009, 07:18:11 PM »
I think that Willie is trying to help and show some of the newer people that there are ways to fabricate things yourself instead of paying big bucks to have it done. He has a lot of good ideas and short cuts from experience. Many of us do, and much of it was learned from others. I do feel that he should be able to have questions directed to him if someone is looking for help in certain areas. This could be done onthe web site or a PM to Willie depending on what that person is asking. Many of us answer questions or suggest where they can find help. Lets see how it works out and be fair about it.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2009, 08:54:23 PM »
I like Willie,,, Keep the good work up.

Sum is a cool cat too... he has a great site full of very good info... Love them speed charts (they are accurate)

Charles
(I ain't got no site, I use Landracing.com  the best racing hangout on the net .. bar none, period, end of sentance.
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2009, 01:03:01 AM »
The advantage to not having replies on Willie's build thread, is it will keep it compact and easy to follow.
I appreciate Willie's generosity in sharing his skills and would much rather read build diaries than antisocial drivel.
Now give us something to look at Willie.

Don

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2009, 09:37:12 AM »
  i would like to see a williebuild or two. though; constructive criticism is inevitable, questions will arise,
details will be wanted and so forth.

raked frames-- i have always leaned towards them and extended front ends .
lower center of gravity & high speed stability

(w/ front wheel 'gyro'). stopped & low speed have flopped forks to one side or another. would rather have 45 or more than 30 or less degrees.

why are raked triple trees the rage now? those and slugs were not to favored circa 1972.
(even though the 'captain america' had the raked trees.)

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Lakesterguy

• New folks
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »
I think it will be great to see a build from start to finish without so much of the "Peanut Gallery" influences.

There's a big difference between building something from scratch and just bolting parts together.

I'd rather watch Willie's scratch build than ten episodes of cake decorators who call themselves chopper builders.  :-)

Thanks to Jon for letting this happen and thanks to Willie to sharing. You are both assets to the lsr community.
Future lakester racer!

Offline willieworld

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 07:41:39 PM »
eric   quit reading this  and get back to work  willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta