Author Topic: Roadster Measurments  (Read 11054 times)

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
Roadster Measurments
« on: January 26, 2009, 11:53:42 PM »
Does any body know the measurement on a '27 Ford from the bottom of the cowl to the bottom of the body in front of the fire wall?
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline interested bystander

Re: Roadster Measurments
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 12:19:16 AM »
This ain't really helpful, but I'm sure Ken Nelley of Kelley-Prentiss Moidified Roadster fame does- his record was DQ'd a while back (He since legalied the car)-He doesn't post on landracing, though.

If you know how to contact  him he's an easy guy to talk to. Don't remember what club he's with.,
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline maguromic

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 12:23:24 AM »
 interested bystader, Thanks for the info.  I just received an email with the dimensions.  If any one els needs them, I have attached them.

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:03:33 AM »
Yrs truly has this same drawing -maybe from Poilform, Speedway or another fibreglass purveyor.

What's SCTA/BNI's take on its' dimensions?

DW?
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 12:06:14 PM »
Did that give you the measurement you need?  Otherwise, my steel body is sitting right here.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:13:15 PM »
How do the measurements of your steel body compare to the diagram? 
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline maguromic

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
Mike, Could you please double check that front 22 1/2 measurement off your original.  Thanks, Tony

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 01:09:01 PM »
I hadn't thought to check those measurements against mine!  :oops:

Caveat: my body is from an old hot rod.  Last licensed in '78, owner long past.  I'm told it last ran a nailhead and was made into a rpu although it was originally a roadster.  Supposedly came out of California in the '60's.

Firewall vertical: 22.5" to the top of the firewall bulge, 23" measuring the body flange where the firewall riveted.  This is an eyeball measurement, the body is on the frame and channeled somewhat.  I can try for better if desired.

Cowl horizontal length, cockpit lip to the outside forward edge of the firewall bulge (ignoring the radiator support bracket) 16" not 16 1/2".  Firewall bulges out 1 1/4" beyond forward edge of the body flange.

Cockpit horizontal length: 38 7/16" not 37 1/2", door gaps look good at upper edge

Cockpit width at widest, outside to outside, 46 1/2" not 49" ?????

Turtle deck width: 44" not 42"

Firewall width, outside of body flange to outside of body flange, 30 1/2" not 29"

Body length (had to pull a fender).  I get 90" overall, not 90 1/2".  Axle centerline is of no consequence.

More?

Sure hope that that drawing is inaccurate.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 01:42:14 PM »
I just took the measurements of my original '27 Steel Body with reversed firewall (took the stock, drilled out the spot welds and reversed it and welded it back in) for more engine room.  I have a full steel floor front to back that is unaltered in width.  All the outside panels of the body are unaltered in anyway with the exception of patch panels.  I built the deck lid and bottom trunk panel from scratch, but they match stock width and contour of the originals.  The bottom body outside framework is stock.

Here are my measurements:

Drawing      My Body                    Comments
Cowl Top:            16 1/2"        13 7/8"      Measured from cowl lip (back edge of hood) to dash lip the 2 1/2"
                                                           difference might be because they measured from the front of the
                                                           firewall???)
Cowl Height:        22 1/2"        23 1/8"      Top of Hood Lip at highest point (center) to bottom of body
Cowl Bottom:       29"             29 3/4"       Measured directly behind hood lip across bottom of body
Interior Length:    37 1/2"       39"             Backside Dash Lip to peak or front trunk panel, centered
Interior Width:     49"             46 3/4"       Widest Part of Body measured outside to outside
Body Length:        90 1/2"       90"            Bottom of body in rear to front of hood lip
Wheel Well:         17"             18"            Back of body bottom to center of wheel well
Rear Body Width:  42"             42"            Side to side measured off of bottom back of body

I would almost bet that all the '26-'27 bodies are a little different, especially in lieu of the fact that we have tried our best to straighten body panels and so on, but the one thing that should be close is the body bottom framework structure to which everything is attached.....and because of the way the upper rear decklid panel (behind the seat) is bolted in to the quarters, the widths should be similar, mine was 2" narrower.    
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Offline Tzoom

• All revved up with no place to go - Meatloaf 1977
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 02:09:04 PM »
It looks like the dimensional comparison between steel and glass is pretty close with the exception of the body width.  I guess what it will boil down to is what the definition of "exact" is when the inspectors look the body over.  I compared the Speedway glass body dimensions with the glass body in the example in the diagram and they were very similar, +/- 1/2" in most cases, right down to the 49" width.  I would bet that most glass bodies have the 49" width.  These replicas were designed as much for comfort as they were for authenticity and the added width would provide for a better ride in a streetrod.  How many glass-bodied 27Ts have been built for land speed racing and how many actually meet the "exact dimensional replica" requirement in the rules?           
Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games --- Ernest Hemingway

Offline DSR Bruts

• Salt Fever Reliever 1
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2009, 04:07:11 PM »
Tzoom....you should be OK with a glass body as many of the guys are using them.  In the roadster class, it is pretty much self policing with regard to the body measurements unless something looks way out of normal.  Inspectors were mainly interested in meeting the safety standards set by SCTA.
Bill and Ross Brutsman
778 D/STR
SDRC, BNI, SCTA, NSRA, SEMA
De Oppresso Liber

Model T Steve

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2009, 04:40:13 PM »
I just measured an unmolested Poliform and its close to 4BMike except:
width is 47 1/2 where the wood tack strip would mount; cowel width was
31 1/2

Offline krusty

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 07:39:46 PM »
When I was trying to determine what measurements of the '27 body were "critical", I was directed to to the Chairman of the Roadster Committee, who provided me with a list of measurements and tolerances used if a car is protested on body "exactness" (for want of a better word). The measurements from original bodies posted here are in some cases not within the tolerances shown on the sheet (i.e., Total length 92.5" (+ or - 1") shown on the sheet; as posted here 90 or 90 1/2", neither within the SCTA specs). Caveat Emptor (substitute "builder" for "buyer") :roll: I'm building to meet the reference data (right or wrong).  I agree with DSR Bruts that if it doesn't look far from normal, there probably won't be trouble from fellow competitors ( I hope).     vic   PS: The drawings shown are the same as on the RodnRace website - and that's where my body came from.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
I crawled underneath mine: at the narrowest, the rear subframe is 42" wide. 

Interesting, krusty, on you comments about the length.  Two of us with "original" steel bodies measure the length as 90", however, the original firewall bulges out 1 1/4" beyond the body flange, which is still too short.  I wonder where the committee got their measurements??

Mike

Offline maguromic

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
Mike and everyone els thanks for the impute.  I needed them for a friend whom I  am helping with his modified roadster.  Russ sent me  the official SCTA measurements for the '27 Ford. Everything is + or - 1" except for single digit measurements that are + or - 1/2".

REFERENCE DATA FOR 1927 FORD MODEL T ROADSTER BODIES   
SPECIFIC MEASUREMENT   REF_REC   Tolerance   
   To SCTA      
                                                       Rules Committee      
TOTAL LENGTH                                       92.5      
F/W WIDTH                                          31.25      
F/W TO BACK OF DASH                             16.5      
F/W TO BACK OF SEAT                             54.875      
F/W TO RA CL                                         76      
F/W WIDTH AT BODY SEAM                        31.5      
F/W PROTRUSION AT SEAM - UPPER             2.375      
F/W PROTRUSION AT SEAM - LOWER            1.375