Author Topic: Gas Coupe for small engine classes  (Read 22009 times)

Offline JimL

Gas Coupe for small engine classes
« on: January 24, 2009, 11:37:58 PM »
Terry Geer is started on a Gas Coupe using Prius body, but not hybrid powertrain.  It will be front wheel drive, using MR2 type powertriains.  We bent some tube today; here's some pics.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Re: Gas Coupe for small engine classes
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:45:05 PM »
MR2..?.... is that a Toyota code word for a NASCAR motor? :-D
Kent

Offline JimL

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:20:24 AM »
I imagine a V8 crossways would toe-out both front wheels about half a foot (Prius is pretty skinny).  That'd be a tough ride! :-P

His plan is to get the car built and sorted with early-MR2 powertrain, then work into higher powered engines.  I'll post more pics, for him, as we move along.

JimL

Offline AJR192

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 01:33:14 PM »
The MR2 was a MID engined, REAR wheel drive, 2 seat car that Toyota built in the 80's through mid 90's, Kent.   

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
How many cubic inches does the MR2 displace?

DW

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 01:52:49 PM »
How many cubic inches does the MR2 displace?

DW

2 liters "G" class
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 03:46:44 PM »
Great idea.

Here is some interesting info on the Mr2, the engine and what was done to make one go fast:

http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah.htm
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 03:55:33 PM »
I was involved in the development and dynoing of Dennis Aase's turbo MR-2 engine back in 1992. Set the Record in G/BGT @ 211 mph with fastest mile @ 218 but we broke high gear on the return run.
Michael LeFevers

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 05:16:25 PM »
Best thing I have ever seen  happen to a Prius!

Dynoroom.
Say HI to Dennis Aase next time you see him, I used to race with him back in the IMSA series in the 80s.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 06:36:11 PM »
No problem Rex. I was working for Fischer Engineering back then with engines in the Peerless cars etc. Dennis was my hero driving that GTO then GTP car for you guys at Gurneys The accident tore me up I'm glad he made it through. He and his brother Randy are great guys.
Michael LeFevers

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
Best thing I have ever seen  happen to a Prius!

I agree, but you still can't take the ugly out of the car.  Even if it has good aero, I like to see aesthetic race cars.

I will still follow the build and progress pics.  We can all learn from watching.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Model T Steve

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 05:15:32 PM »
Flames help a little!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 06:05:40 PM »
Somehow even ugly cars look good when they become race cars

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
Best-looking Pius (my bad) I ever saw was the one that ran at SW a couple of years ago.  Gotta picture anyone?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JimL

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 02:32:19 AM »
This was the 797 car, in '04.  Somewhere I have pics of how we got the front end so low (tunnels cut into frame/aprons so we could clock the hybrid transaxle 22 degrees...in order to get axle angles to work.)  I'll try to put some of those in here, if anyone is interested.  That car was actually built to accept up to 29" front tires at the ground clearance shown!  Our best speed was with 26" front and 25" rear.

We could not go lower because the car comes stock with "spats" in front of the front tires, and we had them lightly touching the salt.  It was hoped to bring the car back for a run at the H/Production record, but a VERY BIG crash in Japan (in 2005) pretty well ended the car.  It's back together and looks like original, but will never race again.

There will probably be some interesting new cars, in the years ahead, with small frontal area and great aero (such as the new Honda Insight, which looks like a scaled down Prius).  Food for thought:  The '04 car had a best speed of about 135 mph on about 120-130 total  horsepower.  That engine was stock, running through stock manifolds, air cleaner, catalytic converter, muffler, etc.  Because the project didn't get final "go" until Spring '04, there was no time to try pumping up the engine or electric transaxle.  That car was a slippery little thing!

It'll be fun to see how Terry's Prius works out.