Author Topic: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?  (Read 12176 times)

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Re: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 03:11:22 PM »
the one who pulls his posts if you feel someone questions your wisdom

Let me explain the difference: they are removed when it becomes painfully apparent that those holding other opinions:
1. are wrong (not "chocolate vs. vanilla" wrong, but "2 + 2 = 5" wrong)
2. have already stopped listening
3. because the subject is beyond their competence or experience
4. and turned to everyone's favorite back-up tool when they run out of facts, logic, history and manners: rudeness and personal animus

For examples, see above.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
Who is Panic, I ask him sometime back what his racing background was, if he had a real name etc. He never answered so it sounds like he doesn't want us to know.  :roll:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 04:11:10 PM »
the one who pulls his posts if you feel someone questions your wisdom

Let me explain the difference: they are removed when it becomes painfully apparent that those holding other opinions:
1. are wrong (not "chocolate vs. vanilla" wrong, but "2 + 2 = 5" wrong)
2. have already stopped listening
3. because the subject is beyond their competence or experience
4. and turned to everyone's favorite back-up tool when they run out of facts, logic, history and manners: rudeness and personal animus

For examples, see above.

Panic, as most here will tell you I am not a fan of the scta since I believe most of the rule changes seem to serve someone running in the dirt and often depend on who is currently in power....  :|  I am a 30 year BNI member and Bonneville racer so I pay my dues and since I don't get to make the rules I live with them.  I don't pull my posts, when I write something down, if I screw up, I apologize, if folks don't like what I have to say they will put me on ignore.  And yes I do appreciate the volunteers that make it possible to race, and yes they are amateurs, we all are.  Enough about me...

If you don't stand behind what you write and pull it when someone questions the facts, logic, history and manners then you shouldn't bother to put it out.  Personally when I am looking through old posts or multi-page threads to reacquaint myself with the background and I see a post that is either
or have a nice day
or deleted
I think the poster obviously pulled his post because he didn't believe in what he posted and knew it would not stand the test of time.
This is a forum, it is people stating opinions, giving advice and trying to help.... It is also the internet and everything you see in print is not necessarily 100% accurate or true.  When questioning competence, stand up and walk away from your computer and look in the mirror first.  It has been my experience that not everyone stops listening at the same time, unless one of the folks in the discussion stops discussing. 
Remember if you act like a jerk, people will think you are a jerk....  :|

I modified my post because I need to add this... yep, some people think I'm a jerk...  :-D
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:10:40 PM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
Hey, Panic -

I, for one, am a fan of your posts, and I was disappointed when you retracted your comments on the Buick straight-eight build diary - I think your insight on it was good. 
Have the courage of your convictions, and don't take the online rough-housing so personally. :cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

saltfever

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »

Have the courage of your convictions, and don't take the online rough-housing so personally. :cheers:Chris
There is no need for some of the abuse. This is a technical forum and often what starts out as very good pro and con technical feedback breaks down into myoptic blathering. I am not against such rants if they are located in the correct forum like Non-LSR or some of the other "social" catagories. That way I can avoid that crap.  Even this response is thread hijacking since I am not contributing to the subject.  Sorry, I couldn't help myself :-P