Author Topic: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?  (Read 12228 times)

dwarner

Re: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2009, 05:29:30 PM »
I have had no difficulty writting and enforcing the intent of the rule.

I will be glad to give up this rulebook gig. You up to it panic? You have had a lot of negative comments re: SCTA-BNI in the past.

DW

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2009, 06:48:45 PM »
Have a nice day.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 09:38:04 PM by panic »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »
bfd

and I don't mean B/Fuel Dragster.

Us volunteers are worth every penny we're paid.  And if you could help out in your "expertise" -- why not join in support instead of tearing it down.  Us geezers aren't going to be here forever doing the jobs nobody else wants so the rest of you can race.

Please step up -- or step back.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2009, 08:18:02 PM »
Well, just to let you know I have re-written the sentence for 2010. Too late for 2009. Thank you for your prompt response to a statement that has served for years and could have been corrected at any time.

Do you still practice? If not how about some help? Hourly billing rate will be $0 but someone with a passion for the sport will be glad to support the hundreds who do race. Or, time trial as some would say.

I do have some learned helpers who can correct my poor command of English and use thereof.

DW

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
Ah shoot Dan. Your dang good at wat you right...
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2009, 08:38:44 PM »
The comma cop comes out for a few words...

A couple of years ago Dan asked if I'd help proofread the rule book.  I did -- and found lots of commas that shouldn't have been there, among other things.  But I wasn't able to go through and change things where the context didn't help me.  I would have (anybody trying the task) would have had to have help from someone that knows the intent of each statement, each rule.  Then I could have tried to word that intent in clear(er) language.  But that is an undertaking of gargantuan proportions and would take literally hundreds of hours of close collaboration.  In the meantime -- the book does evolve constantly, becoming clearer and easier to understand -- one phrase, one word, one rule at a time.

Maybe I should donate a zillion bucks to the SCTA so that the rulebook committee" could all take a year off, with generous compensation, and carefully go through and find every durned hiccup and make it clear.  That's one way that might work -- but I betcha there'd still be some that can't understand - or don't try to understand -- a rule, here and there, now and then.

C. Cop now goes back to his dessert, and this thread can go back to Vintage OHV motors.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 09:36:52 PM »
bfd?
Really?
Does that pass for a crushing rebuttal in your schoolyard?

I got so very, very tired of being told "speak when you're spoken to" here, because I don't have one of those cute hats - as if that were the only feat worthy of mention.

My point (for those not merely waiting to heap more abuse) was that I can do things that you can't, and vice versa. Some of them are things that might help you.

And I got exactly the response I expected. Should have known better.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 09:40:44 PM »
This is such a shame.
What could be very interesting and productive discussion has degenerated into another la-la land of bien pensant "positive thinking", where the highest possible goal is that everyone wins and no feelings are hurt.

Wait - are ALL of you from California...?

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:17 PM »
Guys, For what it's worth: I grew up reading [and interpreting] the NHRA rulebook. It simply states in the beginning: This rulebook is written in a positive manner; "If it doesn't say you can, You can't". Simple!!
 Being a Newbie this year and next, I really appreciate a place to run, and the people who make it possible. The cost is nothing like it is in other venues and only limited by your own desires. Credit where credit is due. Doug :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 10:11:49 PM »
Now there's an intellegent response.  Should have used the qoute button.  Buick you got in before I could.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:14:34 PM by bvillercr »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »
This is such a shame.
What could be very interesting and productive discussion has degenerated into another la-la land of bien pensant "positive thinking", where the highest possible goal is that everyone wins and no feelings are hurt.

Wait - are ALL of you from California...?

So 'splane to us the interesting & productive parts you shared with us again?

aren't you the one who pulls his posts if you feel someone questions your wisdom?
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
aren't you the one who pulls his posts if you feel someone questions your wisdom?

Dat be him.... He has done it on  another forum also.  But then again I am from Kalifornia, and I cant spel :-P
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:26:15 PM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2009, 10:26:01 PM »
Not all of us are from CA--BUT whether we are or whether we aren't----we have NO trouble recognizing when somone is full of themselves as Harry Reid and full of Pelosi!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2009, 10:27:38 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2009, 10:31:14 PM »
LMAO Sparky.   :-D :-D

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
I love my hat.

It wasn't given to me -- I earned it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records