Author Topic: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?  (Read 12210 times)

bsmlakester

Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:56:55 PM »
Can you only use a inline OHV motor in the vintage XO class? Or can you use V-8's that were pre-59?  thank you.

dwarner

Re: Vintage OHV motors - whats legal?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:21:29 PM »
From the 2009 rulebook:

"XO class consists of overhead valve (OHV) and flathead inline and flathead V8 (except Ford & Mercury) and V-12 engines, 1959 or earlier design, up to 325 cid. Examples include Chevrolet, GMC, Hudson, Packard, Buick, Lincoln and Cadillac.  Foreign engines are NOT included."

Bold print mine,
DW

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:54:25 PM »
bsm, Dans words may confuse you eventho they are right out of the book. 49 OHV Cad, Buick, Packard OHV V-8, 55 Chevrolet V-8, Chrysler . 54 Ford, etc are not allowed in vintage. It is not normally a V-8 class but there are some that fit like the Cadillac flathead 

A Chev 6 of 1959 is the same design as a 1937. a 58 GMC 6 is the same design as a 1940 GMC 6. Same for the Hudsons or 1960 Plymouth 6 which is a flathead of the same design of the 40's...This may help.............JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 11:20:48 AM »
bsm --

You certainly aren't the first one to be confused.  Guys have built complete cars assuming that the early OHV V-8s are included.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:38 AM »
I don't see where the word flathead would cause any confusion. How should the sentence be rewritten?

DW

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 11:45:49 AM »
Perhaps: "XO class consists of INLINE overhead valve (OHV) and flathead..."?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

dwarner

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 11:50:06 AM »
Thats good Mike. Sometimes you read the words so many times you see what isn't there.

Thanks,
DW

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »
A simple comma in the right place has the right effect.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:15 PM »
Thats good Mike. Sometimes you read the words so many times you see what isn't there.

Thanks,
DW

Your welcome, sir!   :-D

Perhaps even better: "XO class consists of overhead valve (OHV) and flathead INLINE engines, and flathead  V8..."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:06:44 PM »
We could always go back to when I started. Bring what you think is legal and they will tell you whether is is or not. :evil:

My suggestion will always be see what is running and setting records and then make your decision. You will still find a pretty good variety in the manufacturers. It's all with the $$$$$$. I love the all Jimmys, Stovebolts, Hudsons, Buick, etc:
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 08:27:16 PM »
Hey!  don't wake up SSS.  The comma police have been silent for some time.  Unfortunatley I think they are tied in with the guldurn curse word folks................... :evil:
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:36:18 PM »
Bob, are you suggesting I should reset the curse-word monitor?  Unh, what'll I do this time -- Colors?  Tire brands?  Give me some guidance here -- or I'll stick with the cars.  No comma comments, though -- I've let that job go on a well-deserved vacation.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

bsmlakester

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 07:00:07 AM »
thanks a ton, for saving me so grief.  See you on the salt.

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
Legal meanings, as found in 10,000 court decisions:

"XO class consists of overhead valve (OHV) and flathead inline and flathead V8 (except Ford & Mercury) and V-12 engines, 1959 or earlier design, up to 325 cid"

Permits Buick nailhead, Chrysler hemi, poly, B/RB, Cadillac, Ford Y & MEL, Oldsmobile Rocket, Pontiac, Packard, Studebaker OHV V8.

"XO class consists of overhead valve (OHV) and flathead inline, and flathead V8 (except Ford & Mercury) and V-12 engines, 1959 or earlier design, up to 325 cid"

Does not.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
Permits Buick nailhead, Chrysler hemi, poly, B/RB, Cadillac, Ford Y & MEL, Oldsmobile Rocket, Pontiac, Packard, Studebaker OHV V8.

How would this omit Chevy small blocks and "W" motors and allow Ford Y and MEL and FEs came out in '58 but he rule specifically excludes Fords and Mercs. If it really did allow any OHV V8 motors, which it doesn't. I never had any difficulty reading this rule and ran in the class for some time.